5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

c_attle

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update from my service check at dealership for poor ac performance. All mechanical actuators checked out and no codes existed so everything was working fine. They did measure amount of Freon and my truck was 30 grams low. Service advisor said the 2019 should have 510 grams of Freon and when measured I was at 480 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update from my service check at dealership for poor ac performance. All mechanical actuators checked out and no codes existed so everything was working fine. They did measure amount of Freon and my truck was 30 grams low. Service advisor said the 2019 should have 510 grams of Freon and when measured I was at 480 grams.

So we can assume they put in 30 grams and did the performance improve? Did they perform the TSB on your AC? What is your RAM model and what was build date?

c_attle

Reaction score
They did add Freon. 30 grams to get it to the required 510. It seemed to be a noticeable difference when leaving the dealership but I only live 2 miles away so not much time yet plus the temp today isn’t very warm here. Will update again in a few days. They also checked TSB 24-008-18 but didn’t mention the results of that. My truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. Build date is 8-18

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
Unfortunately that TSB gives no details about what is going on other than a software update for the HVAC module.

I'll get this done soon, we're back in the 80s here in South Florida. Unfortunately the A/C experience is so subjective it'll be hard to tell if it makes a real difference.

But again I have noticed the difference when switching vehicles - after a 3 hour road trip a few weeks ago, I swapped cars and finished the trip driving a 2013 Honda - and the first thing I noticed was how cold the A/C was.
FLOT

What was the end result of your fix at the dealer? Appreciate the insight.

wayneli

Reaction score
Mine was built at Feb, 2019. Just did a test today, above 50 degrees on all vent. One is close to 60 degrees. Set to LO and recirculation..

And also, a few days ago, I noticed musty smell when switched from AC to fan on when AC starts.

I am doing further test.

Last edited:

chalin

Reaction score
New guy here, I think I just signed up to vent (no pun intended). Can't believe I bought a $55K truck and it has issues, unbelievable. Less than 3K on the odo and already had the truck at the dealer for the A/C problem. I'm in Okla, it gets to 100 easy. A/C with TSB update and recharged system (cause it was low from the factory?) is not going to cut it. I can tell already. Really upset. I thought i checked all recalls and TSBs before buying but somehow missed this. All my life I swore I'd never own a dodge and then I let all the car reviews change my mind - dumba__S. What's crazy is this thread has been going since july 2018 and still no fix???

NordicNevs

Reaction score
My 2007 Camry with 177,000 miles has colder air

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New guy here, I think I just signed up to vent (no pun intended). Can't believe I bought a $55K truck and it has issues, unbelievable. Less than 3K on the odo and already had the truck at the dealer for the A/C problem. I'm in Okla, it gets to 100 easy. A/C with TSB update and recharged system (cause it was low from the factory?) is not going to cut it. I can tell already. Really upset. I thought i checked all recalls and TSBs before buying but somehow missed this. All my life I swore I'd never own a dodge and then I let all the car reviews change my mind - dumba__S. What's crazy is this thread has been going since july 2018 and still no fix???
Here's a suggestion - don't buy a 1st model year vehicle unless you're prepared for possible issues. I love my truck and I've had a bit of warranty work done on it with only 1,700 miles. Nonetheless, this is the best truck on the market right now. It hasn't gotten hot here yet, so I can't say if my A/C is working well or not. Might measure the vent temp tomorrow since it'll be near 80.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion - don't buy a 1st model year vehicle unless you're prepared for possible issues. I love my truck and I've had a bit of warranty work done on it with only 1,700 miles. Nonetheless, this is the best truck on the market right now. It hasn't gotten hot here yet, so I can't say if my A/C is working well or not. Might measure the vent temp tomorrow since it'll be near 80.

Here's a suggestion, its the year 2019 and a multi-billion dollar company shouldn't let a product go out the door thats not 100%, especially when that product has a multi-million dollar development budget and the company has access to multi-millions of dollars worth of technical expertise, equipment, research, methodology, and processes to avoid even the tiniest of mistakes.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you measure the vent temp, let us know. I have an old school AC/refrigeration thermometer that I've kept stuck in one of the vents in all my vehicles for the past 30 years, and it shows the coldest my truck's AC will blow out of the driver's vent in the middle is about 53 degrees. The 2015 Mustang GT that I recently sold would blow 42 degrees even on the hottest Central Texas days. 53 degrees does not seem cold enough for a new truck. My build date was 9/23/18 which I believe is just outside the date range for the AC TSB. But I'm going to make an appointment with the dealership to have them check the AC because the truck has developed the dreaded "clunk" and I believe my build date is within the range of the "clunk" TSB. Maybe my truck just came low on refrigerant from the factory.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's probably got the R12 in there which cools way better than the R1234yf.
R12 got phased out way back in the mid 90's 1994-1996. However the 134a that 1234yf replaces also cools better. r1234yf has been in service for about 5 years now. There really is no excuse for the poor AC performance. I do believe the AC systems on modern vehicles are being throttled back, the computers are not allowing them to get as cold as they can, why GWP (Global warming potential) the amount of CO2 generated has to be below a certain level for the refrigerant being used. Throttle back the AC, less fuel is used by the motor to turn the AC compressor thus less CO2 is generated to power the AC system. There are several different way's manufactures are doing this, monitoring dishcarge air temps and limiting them to 45 degrees at the evaporator is common. It's not that the system can't get down to high 30's, its that it's programmed not to. For camparison 1234yf has a GWP of 4 or 5 compared to roughly 1400 for R134A. AC systems are being controlled by their CO2 footprint.

vargona09

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I’ve been reading up on this thread and it put a pit in my stomach seeing as I live in Texas and just dropping some serious (to me) cash on a new limited! Mine is a 2019, build date is December of 2018.

Today was about 91 outside and humid as it gets. I put the air on 71 without the recirculating on and got like 47 out of the center and 47/49 out of the left front vent. This was about 5 min after start up.
2c3bda26d68f49dfb51b0145161a635d.jpg
7f5d166c807a1f859ea6b0f52e2d0f28.jpg

Last edited:

chalin

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion, its the year 2019 and a multi-billion dollar company shouldn't let a product go out the door thats not 100%, especially when that product has a multi-million dollar development budget and the company has access to multi-millions of dollars worth of technical expertise, equipment, research, methodology, and processes to avoid even the tiniest of mistakes.
I agree, First model year is a bs excuse.

chalin

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I’ve been reading up on this thread and it put a pit in my stomach seeing as I live in Texas and just dropping some serious (to me) cash on a new limited! Mine is a 2019, build date is December of 2018.

Today was about 91 outside and humid as it gets. I put the air on 71 without the recirculating on and got like 47 out of the center and 47/49 out of the left front vent. This was about 5 min after start up.
2c3bda26d68f49dfb51b0145161a635d.jpg
7f5d166c807a1f859ea6b0f52e2d0f28.jpg

You might check passenger vents too, passenger side on mine was 4 degrees cooler.

vargona09

Reaction score
You might check passenger vents too, passenger side on mine was 4 degrees cooler.
So are you one of the lucky ones that has cold, strong air blowing?

I haven't hit the 110 degree day yet but I have hope that mine is blowing a cold 46 degrees on a humid 91 degree day.

chalin

Reaction score
So are you one of the lucky ones that has cold, strong air blowing?

I haven't hit the 110 degree day yet but I have hope that mine is blowing a cold 46 degrees on a humid 91 degree day.
Haven't had a really hot day since I took mine in. They evacuated the system and replaced. Said it was low. Seems to have helped, but to say it's blowing cold strong air, wouldn't say so. When we get a hot day I'll take temp readings at the vents.

NDRam

Reaction score
I have not had any issues with the A/C system. I keep it on the AUTO setting always. Windows have not fogged up, and I have never been to hot or cold. We put 1800 miles on the truck last weekend and even the wife remarked at how great the AUTO setting works in the truck as she has AUTO in her '18 Subaru Outback and she does not use it.

Users who are viewing this thread