5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

ac1dd

Reaction score
Do you work for RAM? I would be willing to help measure temps and show when its humid it works bad vs no humid.

Sorry to say I'm just another owner, trying to help pin down the source of the problem with the AC units.

The more folks that have at least minimal tangible data in the form of temp measurements might help.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok guys this is what I notice on SUPER humid days the AC sucks. On non humid hot days it seems to cool OK. Not super cold but it cools. It is super bad when it’s humid and over 100 out.
You have to look at the heat index value to get proper ambient temp to see if the system is cooling up to specifications.

Here's an example. We often have weather at 105-110 during the summer but it's very dry typically 25% RH. According to the heat index 105 F @ 25% RH has a heat index value of 108 F per rams specifications the drivers side center vent discharge air temperature should be somewhere around 62 F my truck with the shutoff valve installed will get down to about 47 F in these conditions. For comparison the heat index for a place with 105 F air temp and 60% RH has a heat index value of 149 F. Rams spec tops out at 110 F with an acceptable drivers side center vent discharge air temp of 64 F. Basically the air blowing out of your vents can be well above 64 F if the heat index is above 110 and Ram is going to tell you the conditions are outside of the design parameters and to kick rocks.

The specs for the AC system are very generous in the manufacture favor. I have attached the testing a diagnosis manual so you can see for yourself. 55 discharge temp at 100 F apparent is attainable even without closing off the heater hose for most trucks. There is nothing in the spec for an acceptable delta between the passenger and drivers side. As long as both vents are below the acceptable temp for the calculated apparent ambient temp the truck is operating within spec and the dealer isn't likely to do much beyond this. I wouldn't expect to see a TSB come out to fix this issue because the odds are when testing these systems they meet the minimum specifications even with the known problem of heat leaking into the drivers side duct work. GM did this same crap with the Chevy shake issue. Trucks were obviously shaking when they shouldn't have been but the amplitude of the vibration was below GMs NVH spec so they did nothing to fix it and owners were left with a truck that vibrated a 68 MPH plus.

I'm going to roll with the manual valve this summer and see what if anything comes of the AC issue and what Ram does. If they haven't addressed the issue by next summer or if the medicine is worse than the illness, meaning their ultimate fix is to pull the dash out and replace the blend door, I'm just going to put an automated bypass valve on the heater core hoses that will be controlled by the ambient temperature. Basically if the ambient temp is above 80 F the valve close and bypasses the heater core below 80 its open for water to flow through the core. My hope is this is ultimately this is along the lines of what Ram decides to do to fix the issue so that the valve is integrated into the truck and warrantied by the manufacture. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Heat index calculator ( use the one on the right for relative humidity) most weather apps will give you the RH for the day.

Attachments

• AC Performance Testing and Diagnosis.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 14

ldoh

Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree, FCA is unlikely to do anything with the 2019 a/c system unless forced. To our advantage, this is the first year of the gen 5 so it will be interesting to see if and what a/c changes FCA makes for 2020 and on.

It's nothing short of miserable driving into a summer's day sun with the a/c vents spitting out 60+degs.

airgas1998

Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree, FCA is unlikely to do anything with the 2019 a/c system unless forced. To our advantage, this is the first year of the gen 5 so it will be interesting to see if and what a/c changes FCA makes for 2020 and on.

It's nothing short of miserable driving into a summer's day sun with the a/c vents spitting out 60+degs.
i'd bet dittilly….

Snakes709

Reaction score
So heres something new lol. So like many others my truck lacks proper ac temps and dealership ordered the bolt? For the condenser but its back ordered. Anyways, im on a trip from Edmonton AB to Las Vegas. Being 40*c i toss what little ac i had on and within 40mins it started shooting ice out the vents. I shut it off instantly, hopefully I didnt **** anything up. I’m assuming the system is completely dry of refrigerant.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it’s never humid where I live and it still doesn’t perform for S@#t!
I would imagine I'm in a similar climate, and mine works without a hack. Jumped in the heat-soaked truck sitting in the sun at 2pm, and I was comfortable in 5 minutes. I just leave the temp at 70 and the truck does the rest. I'm not sure if there's just an extreme amount of variation in the trucks, or the owners' expectations. It certainly isn't comforting to find there are trucks out there that had issues where the refrigerant leaked out.

We're 47 pages in. I don't expect anything magical when this hits 50.

Last edited:

Brisoup1

Reaction score
You have to look at the heat index value to get proper ambient temp to see if the system is cooling up to specifications.

Here's an example. We often have weather at 105-110 during the summer but it's very dry typically 25% RH. According to the heat index 105 F @ 25% RH has a heat index value of 108 F per rams specifications the drivers side center vent discharge air temperature should be somewhere around 62 F my truck with the shutoff valve installed will get down to about 47 F in these conditions. For comparison the heat index for a place with 105 F air temp and 60% RH has a heat index value of 149 F. Rams spec tops out at 110 F with an acceptable drivers side center vent discharge air temp of 64 F. Basically the air blowing out of your vents can be well above 64 F if the heat index is above 110 and Ram is going to tell you the conditions are outside of the design parameters and to kick rocks.

The specs for the AC system are very generous in the manufacture favor. I have attached the testing a diagnosis manual so you can see for yourself. 55 discharge temp at 100 F apparent is attainable even without closing off the heater hose for most trucks. There is nothing in the spec for an acceptable delta between the passenger and drivers side. As long as both vents are below the acceptable temp for the calculated apparent ambient temp the truck is operating within spec and the dealer isn't likely to do much beyond this. I wouldn't expect to see a TSB come out to fix this issue because the odds are when testing these systems they meet the minimum specifications even with the known problem of heat leaking into the drivers side duct work. GM did this same crap with the Chevy shake issue. Trucks were obviously shaking when they shouldn't have been but the amplitude of the vibration was below GMs NVH spec so they did nothing to fix it and owners were left with a truck that vibrated a 68 MPH plus.

I'm going to roll with the manual valve this summer and see what if anything comes of the AC issue and what Ram does. If they haven't addressed the issue by next summer or if the medicine is worse than the illness, meaning their ultimate fix is to pull the dash out and replace the blend door, I'm just going to put an automated bypass valve on the heater core hoses that will be controlled by the ambient temperature. Basically if the ambient temp is above 80 F the valve close and bypasses the heater core below 80 its open for water to flow through the core. My hope is this is ultimately this is along the lines of what Ram decides to do to fix the issue so that the valve is integrated into the truck and warrantied by the manufacture. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Heat index calculator ( use the one on the right for relative humidity) most weather apps will give you the RH for the day.
There's no way I'm going to let anybody take my dashboard apart. There's a high probability you're going to have all kind of rattles when they're done. I'd install the heater core bypass valve before having the blend door replaced.

LaraGN

Reaction score
AC went out on my brand new 2019 Ram longhorn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaraGN

Reaction score
Need to be more specific.....

Well it was working all the way from PA to TX and I have been in West Tx for Two weeks +. Today outside temp was 105. I went inside a store for 30 min and when I returned it blew nothing but hot hot hot air no matter what setting I had it on. Then on my way home it started to blow a bit cooler but not what the temp controls where set at. It just went out! Called All American Dodge RAM Chrysler Jeep dealership in Midland Texas today and they said first appointment is August 26 and it will be two weeks from that date that they can even inspect my vehicle! Truck is brand new less than 20,000 miles on it! Do not know how more specific I can be.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Well it was working all the way from PA to TX and I have been in West Tx for Two weeks +. Today outside temp was 105. I went inside a store for 30 min and when I returned it blew nothing but hot hot hot air no matter what setting I had it on. Then on my way home it started to blow a bit cooler but not what the temp controls where set at. It just went out! Called All American Dodge RAM Chrysler Jeep dealership in Midland Texas today and they said first appointment is August 26 and it will be two weeks from that date that they can even inspect my vehicle! Truck is brand new less than 20,000 miles on it! Do not know how more specific I can be.

That is incredible for a wait time, I called around Dallas a few weeks ago and was getting 5+ days of wait time where the truck had to sit on the lot and was straight up told if it's not a safety concern run it till something breaks then come in.
Ram may have had incredible sales for the last few months but they sure are upsetting customers right after the sale.
Just completed my survey which was emailed to me roughly 5 weeks after sale. I took my time and voiced all of these concerns and gave them my phone number. We'll see if it yields anything.

Brisoup1

Reaction score

Sounds like you either have a Freon Leak, the A/C compressor's not working or it's something electronic.
One thing you can try is some troubleshooting:
1) With the engine running & the windows down, turn off the Auto feature on your HVAC system and manually put your heater on the highest setting. Have the air directed to come out of the dash vents only. Let it stay that way for about a min then slowly turn your temperature down to LO. Doing this step may help if your blend door is stuck.
2) Press the A/C button then the re-circ button. Let engine run for a couple minites & see if your vent temperature starts to drop.
3) If your Temp starts to drop, put your HVAC in Auto mode to see if the temp coming from the vents continues to drop. If it stops dropping & becomes warm again, it may be a electronic issue.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
That is incredible for a wait time, I called around Dallas a few weeks ago and was getting 5+ days of wait time where the truck had to sit on the lot and was straight up told if it's not a safety concern run it till something breaks then come in.
Ram may have had incredible sales for the last few months but they sure are upsetting customers right after the sale.
Just completed my survey which was emailed to me roughly 5 weeks after sale. I took my time and voiced all of these concerns and gave them my phone number. We'll see if it yields anything.
If none if this helps, it obviously needs to go back to the Dealer. Waiting to 8/26, especially in the heat of Texas, is unacceptable. Either try calling another Dealer or call Ram Customer Care. They should definitly push you're dealer appointment up.

LaraGN

Reaction score
Thank you. But I am a woman and they seem to dismiss me!

LaraGN

Reaction score
Sounds like you either have a Freon Leak, the A/C compressor's not working or it's something electronic.
One thing you can try is some troubleshooting:
1) With the engine running & the windows down, turn off the Auto feature on your HVAC system and manually put your heater on the highest setting. Have the air directed to come out of the dash vents only. Let it stay that way for about a min then slowly turn your temperature down to LO. Doing this step may help if your blend door is stuck.
2) Press the A/C button then the re-circ button. Let engine run for a couple minites & see if your vent temperature starts to drop.
3) If your Temp starts to drop, put your HVAC in Auto mode to see if the temp coming from the vents continues to drop. If it stops dropping & becomes warm again, it may be a electronic issue.

Did all the steps and is blowing super hot hot hot hot air.

LaraGN

Reaction score
After doing all those steps twice there is a super loud humming noise now along with the vents running super hot while being on its lowest setting and max ac.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sorry to hear your problems, you provided much more detail than your first port. This thread is really about weak A/C issues some owners are experiencing specifically the temp variations so when you come on here and make a statement like you did then folks want more info.

LaraGN

Reaction score
CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE and no help. Sounds like a “TRADE IN”......

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. But I am a woman and they seem to dismiss me!
That's not necessarily true. I had a warranty issue in January and they were booking appointments in March.

I think the best bet is to find a dealer that has been awarded by FCA with their "Customer First award for excellence". I've found those dealers to have a different approach and are more open to keeping customers happy. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one in Midland. Or Lubbock. There are quite a few dealers in that region, so maybe try another? https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html

My wife mentioned you may also approach this as the lack of AC could be causing a health and safety issue?

Brisoup1

Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. I had a warranty issue in January and they were booking appointments in March.

I think the best bet is to find a dealer that has been awarded by FCA with their "Customer First award for excellence". I've found those dealers to have a different approach and are more open to keeping customers happy. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one in Midland. Or Lubbock. There are quite a few dealers in that region, so maybe try another? https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html

My wife mentioned you may also approach this as the lack of AC could be causing a health and safety issue?
It is a health and safety issue, especially if you can't be exposed to high temperatures for long periods. Besides, having to wait this long for a vital repair on a new vehicle is unacceptable. If they can't repair your A/C until 8/26, they should let you leave your truck there & give you a loaner until it's repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread