5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only asking because I had the valve installed for a while but got tired of having to adjust it for rainy weather. Unless fully closed, it doesn't do any good. Leaving it cracked let in heat and defeated the purpose. I definitely like the coolness it provided but the fogged windows also became an issue. There's no winning and ram doesn't seem to want to fix it.

I suspect I'll be trading it in before the warranty is up.
Did the first 2019 you bought have the same A/C problem?

ldoh

Reaction score
I haven't had a need yet but I don't anticipate an issue with lifting the hood and turning the valve. No doubt it isn't optimal especially for a $50-70k but is the only alternative until someone at FCA pulls their head out.

Hmm, cooking steak on a dash seems to be an effective news story.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hate to beat a dead horse but had a new one today. My AC has been performing fine until today. First day over 100* and had it in the garage, started her up and everything was cool and comfortable. Then I got on toll loop 99 and was doing 80. Within one minute I noticed it was getting warm and after 10 minutes it was clear that the AC could not keep up with that kind of heat (got up to 103*) and that speed. It just overwhelmed the system and idle had nothing to do with it.

Valve going in tomorrow!

dmodem

Reaction score
It's funny (and sad) that there are so many documented A/C problems, but FCA has skirted any responsibility in rectifying the issue. With autumn and cooler temps on the horizon for most of the US, I assume they're hoping the issue will subside. Nonsense.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
It's funny (and sad) that there are so many documented A/C problems, but FCA has skirted any responsibility in rectifying the issue. With autumn and cooler temps on the horizon for most of the US, I assume they're hoping the issue will subside. Nonsense.

This reminds me about Ford and their gosh-aweful "cooled" seats on 2015+ trucks... that scorched the leather in the seat back, never cooled the seat back, and their TSB only fixed the scorched leather issue, and only in some cases. The true fix was a forum member's 3D-printed parts and kits he sold to add intake and exhaust hoses to the seat back. He and another forum member even worked with Ford's engineers and they gave the engineers their solution. They were told no... what a crock of crap! Seems like RAM is doing the same thing. I got my windows tinted Saturday, so I'm curious to see how the A/C does in the 90-100 degree heat we have today.

-John

ac1dd

Reaction score
This reminds me about Ford and their gosh-aweful "cooled" seats on 2015+ trucks... that scorched the leather in the seat back, never cooled the seat back, and their TSB only fixed the scorched leather issue, and only in some cases. The true fix was a forum member's 3D-printed parts and kits he sold to add intake and exhaust hoses to the seat back. He and another forum member even worked with Ford's engineers and they gave the engineers their solution. They were told no... what a crock of crap! Seems like RAM is doing the same thing. I got my windows tinted Saturday, so I'm curious to see how the A/C does in the 90-100 degree heat we have today.

-John

Wow very interesting story about the forum members actually creating a solution to that problem and Ford ignored it. My guess is that Ford will steal the work and use it without having to compensate those clever inventors. Happens all the time.
Do you have a link to that situation? Thanks.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Wow very interesting story about the forum members actually creating a solution to that problem and Ford ignored it. My guess is that Ford will steal the work and use it without having to compensate those clever inventors. Happens all the time.
Do you have a link to that situation? Thanks.

Here you go... 550 pages of fun reading LOL:

And no, in the 4 years since this issue popped up in F-150s, Ford has NOT taken their design and used it. Like I said, the forum members worked with Ford engineers and still the TSB wasn't the right solution. It was merely a stop-gap measure to prevent scorching seats (and presumably the hands that touch them).

-John

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was in Moab, UT week before last and it was 106-108. AC kept us comfortable. Sure would like to understand the inconsistency in these trucks.

550 pages and no fix, eh? When this hits 50, I expect the same.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I was in Moab, UT week before last and it was 106-108. AC kept us comfortable. Sure would like to understand the inconsistency in these trucks.

550 pages and no fix, eh? When this hits 50, I expect the same.

Oh, there's a fix... you buy some of SeatGuru's kits, or build your own intake/exhaust for the TEDs in the seat back. Problem solved.

I only ever did my driver's seat, and it made a huge difference.

-John

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I guess I needed to be more specific. No fix from Ford.

Right. Ford's engineers were shown a solution that was not expensive but worked reliably, and they scoffed and went a different direction, which does not work.

Instead of semi-rigid piping for intake/exhaust, they added a flexible mesh fabric "sock" to aid in intake, and nothing for exhaust, so the TED just gets heat soaked after a few minutes. Not as bad as before, but still not even adequate.

-John

ldoh

Reaction score

Yes and sometimes they get sued. Ford's latest gen ecoboost improvement with port injection was reportedly heisted from three MIT professors.

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2019/02/ford-sued-by-three-mit-profs-about-ecoboost-technology/

ac1dd

Reaction score
Here you go... 550 pages of fun reading LOL:

And no, in the 4 years since this issue popped up in F-150s, Ford has NOT taken their design and used it. Like I said, the forum members worked with Ford engineers and still the TSB wasn't the right solution. It was merely a stop-gap measure to prevent scorching seats (and presumably the hands that touch them).

-John

Thanks for the link. I can't wait to dig in. Wow, that's a disgraceful display of arrogance from Ford too.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I can't wait to dig in. Wow, that's a disgraceful display of arrogance from Ford too.

Oh, it's been disgraceful, for sure! I was so miffed when my new truck's seat back didn't cool, even in winter time (I overheat quite easily, and use heated/cooled seats on longer drives to alleviate back pain). I ended up installing the kit in my truck and doing a writeup on my web site for SeatGuru, to help the other people who bought his kits.

Even 4 MYs into this body style, Ford still hasn't fixed it. Instead, they changed the advertisements from "cooled" to "ventilated". When I bought my RAM in May, I tested out the ventilated seat feature and found it worked great!

-John

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the diagnostic and test procedure for DT air conditioning performance check:
  1. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
    • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  2. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.

NOTE:This procedure requires the technician to know what the temperature and relative humidity is at the time of the test. The temperature must be combined with the relative humidity to calculate the apparent ambient temperature ("feels like" temperature), when the temperatures are above 21°C (70°F). Use the current ambient temperature and the relative humidity in your location. This information can be obtained from multiple sources, such as the internet or local news media.
  3. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
  4. Specifications: 70F ambient/45F output, 80F ambient/45F output, 90 ambient/55F output, 100F ambient/55F output, and 110F ambient/64F output.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 019730 miles.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, it's been disgraceful, for sure! I was so miffed when my new truck's seat back didn't cool, even in winter time (I overheat quite easily, and use heated/cooled seats on longer drives to alleviate back pain). I ended up installing the kit in my truck and doing a writeup on my web site for SeatGuru, to help the other people who bought his kits.

Even 4 MYs into this body style, Ford still hasn't fixed it. Instead, they changed the advertisements from "cooled" to "ventilated". When I bought my RAM in May, I tested out the ventilated seat feature and found it worked great!

-John

I get it. Most of my lower spine is fused and I like to take road trips. Pulling that heat out that's usually trapped between your back and the seat helps quite a bit at reducing inflammation.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I get it. Most of my lower spine is fused and I like to take road trips. Pulling that heat out that's usually trapped between your back and the seat helps quite a bit at reducing inflammation.

Wow, mine isn't that bad... it's just a "bad back" from a few nasty car accidents and being fat.

I find my back stiffens up on longer drives, so switching from heat to cool and back every 20-30 minutes really helps with back fatigue.

-John

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting old is fun. Those sports injuries you played through and life experiences come back with a vengeance. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread