5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

LaraGN

Reaction score
As I was told by RAM customer service “they can not make a dealership move me up on the list or anything they do not want to do. Which I found as an odd response to a customer! But I guess that RAM truck does not back their warranty. I do believe it will be a health issue bcuz I have to get to Dallas Tx tomorrow to drop off my daughter’s puppy and pick up my husband and it is now running with a noise and no AC with high temperatures tomorrow. Once or if I make it to Dallas Tx I will try to find a dealership there. Thank u for your input but I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle as much as I have this truck and to think of what I paid in cash for it makes me want to puke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I agree that the long waits have gotten ridiculous. Warranty isn't worth a flip if you can't exercise it. First vehicle I've owned with 2+ week wait times. It's hard to schedule that far out with life happening.

ramhead

Reaction score
As I was told by RAM customer service “they can not make a dealership move me up on the list or anything they do not want to do. Which I found as an odd response to a customer! But I guess that RAM truck does not back their warranty. I do believe it will be a health issue bcuz I have to get to Dallas Tx tomorrow to drop off my daughter’s puppy and pick up my husband and it is now running with a noise and no AC with high temperatures tomorrow. Once or if I make it to Dallas Tx I will try to find a dealership there. Thank u for your input but I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle as much as I have this truck and to think of what I paid in cash for it makes me want to puke!

If it were me, I'd do what a friend of mine did years ago......make a huge lemon shaped sign out of plywood, spray it yellow and position/secure in the bed w/ tailgate down - then write on it something like "DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM (insert dealer name) - THEY ARE TERRIBLE - WON'T HELP YOU WITH PROBLEMS AND SELL LEMONS!"...and park somewhere nearby visible to traffic or drive in the area. When my buddy did this, no lie, he got IMMEDIATE attention from the dealer and a brand new engine (he had been fighting with them/mfg for months over the issue).

LaraGN

Reaction score
Sounds like the best plan I have ever heard! Or just trade it in! Seems like I would get another shotty engine? But had to rely upon a man to call RAM and they are calling dealership to find out what the issue is and get me in. Hmmm I was told something totally opposite from RAM!

diamondmi

Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. I had a warranty issue in January and they were booking appointments in March.

I think the best bet is to find a dealer that has been awarded by FCA with their "Customer First award for excellence". I've found those dealers to have a different approach and are more open to keeping customers happy. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one in Midland. Or Lubbock. There are quite a few dealers in that region, so maybe try another? https://www.ramtrucks.com/find-dealer.html

My wife mentioned you may also approach this as the lack of AC could be causing a health and safety issue?

How can you find a dealer with that award? Do you go through each dealer until you see such an award on their website?

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck going through final inspection.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Sounds like the best plan I have ever heard! Or just trade it in! Seems like I would get another shotty engine? But had to rely upon a man to call RAM and they are calling dealership to find out what the issue is and get me in. Hmmm I was told something totally opposite from RAM!

If you trade it in, you're going to lose money. It wouldn't be fair to you since you're trading it in because it's giving you problems.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
How can you find a dealer with that award? Do you go through each dealer until you see such an award on their website?

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. Truck going through final inspection.
You can go on Ram.com and do a dealer search. The search results will tell you if the dealer has the "Customer First" service award.

diamondmi

Reaction score
You can go on Ram.com and do a dealer search. The search results will tell you if the dealer has the "Customer First" service award.

Got it. Did a search and the dealer in my area that has that award gave my neighbor terrible service. In fact it was so bad he convinced me to go to another dealer to buy my Ram. Not sure that award is something to bank on.

timtlu

Reaction score
Got it. Did a search and the dealer in my area that has that award gave my neighbor terrible service. In fact it was so bad he convinced me to go to another dealer to buy my Ram. Not sure that award is something to bank on.

n=1

ABQ Mike

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, a/c Alex is generally 40 degrees below ambient temperature... by the book if it’s 90 out and your ac hits 50 degrees, it’s “working fine”. In Phoenix where 110-120 is the July norm, be thankful if it’s around 50 or so. Ford had a big problem with this in 2004-2008 on the expeditions because they used smaller condensers than the f150, and in summer Arizona months, it just won’t cool down, especially in summer. Sadly we were instructed to stick a thermometer in the vent, put it on the middle level fan speed and cold recirc, and if it was 40 degrees less than ambient (in the shade of a bay of course), boot them and tell them it’s in spec.

Sadly I wouldn’t hold my breath for a “fix”, and recalls only cover safety items, of which this isn’t. I’ve been parking outside lately while our underground parking is under construction, and I can tell you at 5 pm when I start the truck up, it’s damn near when I get home 20 min later that it’s cooler inside, but the seat coolers at least make it manageable. My fault for buying a black truck in a warm climate !

Ramsport19

Reaction score
For what it is worth... Here is my experience... and dealer action that resulted in colder AC. I hope it helps others.

I purchased the truck and also noticed the AC to be lacking during the middle of the day. I was getting mid 60s out of the center driver side and about 55 out of the center passenger side (ambient temp 101 on truck). I attached the clamp and was able to get 48-46 out of the center driver side and 40-42 out of the center passenger side. Took it into the dealer and they "flashed updated HVAC module"- exactly what it says on the paperwork. That visit equated to no change in AC performance. Took it back in about week and half later and they completed the following: "evacuate and recharge A/C R1234yf freon to check charge condition. System fully charged to specs with correct pressures"- exactly what it said on the paperwork. While it was there I also told them that AC will blow colder on passenger side than the drivers side. They performed the following: "no codes and passed calibration test. Check AC system. Perform AC door calibration test and passed"- exactly what is said on the paperwork.

After got the truck back I have lower temperatures in both vents WITHOUT a clamp or valve. At idle: center drivers side 55 and center passenger side 46. While driving (RPMs north of 1300): center drivers side at 50 and center passenger side at 42. These measurements were performed using the auto setting (set to LO) along with the recirdoor closed and the ambient temp on the truck was 98. Over the past week the auto setting has been working. I just wish it was blowing as cold on the drivers side as it does on the passenger side.

To compare, I have also tested a 2019 F150 (work truck) and it is hands down colder- no question about it. If i could just figure out how even the temps out between the two center vents I would consider the Ram to be 80% corrected. If it was blowing as cold as the F150 and the temps were even across the center vents it would be 100%.

I hope this helps others.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, I drove a 2019 classic while the DT was in the shop for A/C. The vent temp where about 10 degrees colder. I did show them this and that when they showed me that the specs are different between the two of them.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, I drove a 2019 classic while the DT was in the shop for A/C. The vent temp where about 10 degrees colder. I did show them this and that when they showed me that the specs are different between the two of them.

My buddy bought a 19 Classic and his AC is more than 10 degrees colder than my truck and my buddies limited, closer to 15 deg colder. That’s what pisses me off about this stupid new spec sheet regarding the 19 DT models. They created a new spec sheet to make it ok that the AC sucks even though they boast about this being a much improved cooling and hvac system in the 5th gens.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
My buddy bought a 19 Classic and his AC is more than 10 degrees colder than my truck and my buddies limited, closer to 15 deg colder. That’s what pisses me off about this stupid new spec sheet regarding the 19 DT models. They created a new spec sheet to make it ok that the AC sucks even though they boast about this being a much improved cooling and hvac system in the 5th gens.
Yes they did. My concern is what happens when these trucks get several years on them?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine will permanently have the valve on the heater hose, I’ve already accepted that. Luckily we’ve only got another month or so of it being closed then he cooler temps will make things more tolerable with the valve open.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Mine will permanently have the valve on the heater hose, I’ve already accepted that. Luckily we’ve only got another month or so of it being closed then he cooler temps will make things more tolerable with the valve open.

What do you do when it rains? Let the windows fog?

jimk hunt

Reaction score
For what it is worth... Here is my experience... and dealer action that resulted in colder AC. I hope it helps others.

I purchased the truck and also noticed the AC to be lacking during the middle of the day. I was getting mid 60s out of the center driver side and about 55 out of the center passenger side (ambient temp 101 on truck). I attached the clamp and was able to get 48-46 out of the center driver side and 40-42 out of the center passenger side. Took it into the dealer and they "flashed updated HVAC module"- exactly what it says on the paperwork. That visit equated to no change in AC performance. Took it back in about week and half later and they completed the following: "evacuate and recharge A/C R1234yf freon to check charge condition. System fully charged to specs with correct pressures"- exactly what it said on the paperwork. While it was there I also told them that AC will blow colder on passenger side than the drivers side. They performed the following: "no codes and passed calibration test. Check AC system. Perform AC door calibration test and passed"- exactly what is said on the paperwork.

After got the truck back I have lower temperatures in both vents WITHOUT a clamp or valve. At idle: center drivers side 55 and center passenger side 46. While driving (RPMs north of 1300): center drivers side at 50 and center passenger side at 42. These measurements were performed using the auto setting (set to LO) along with the recirdoor closed and the ambient temp on the truck was 98. Over the past week the auto setting has been working. I just wish it was blowing as cold on the drivers side as it does on the passenger side.

To compare, I have also tested a 2019 F150 (work truck) and it is hands down colder- no question about it. If i could just figure out how even the temps out between the two center vents I would consider the Ram to be 80% corrected. If it was blowing as cold as the F150 and the temps were even across the center vents it would be 100%.

I hope this helps others.
FWIW my truck was 55 on drivers center vent at idle, 45 passenger. No service work ever done on the AC. So it appears whatever they did had little effect on yours. I clamped the hose and now enjoy 45 out of the driver vent. Don't really expect a solution from FCA so I'll watch the clamp and take it off come colder weather. Thanks for posting the text of the repair.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
It’s a valve. You can open and close it easily with your hand. You also have the option to leave it cracked open just a bit to allow some coolant through. Haven’t had fogged windows yet.
Only asking because I had the valve installed for a while but got tired of having to adjust it for rainy weather. Unless fully closed, it doesn't do any good. Leaving it cracked let in heat and defeated the purpose. I definitely like the coolness it provided but the fogged windows also became an issue. There's no winning and ram doesn't seem to want to fix it.

I suspect I'll be trading it in before the warranty is up.

Users who are viewing this thread