5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air conditioning performance

ldoh

Reaction score
I keep thinking/hoping there's an inappropriately programmed electric controlled water valve hidden somewhere but then you gotta wonder why FCA wouldn't offer an easy software fix.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
What are your vent temps now?

No idea - I don't have a thermometer with me, just my finely-calibrated epidermal thermometer.

I'll see if I have any time this weekend to get temps (not likely though - totally swamped at home!)

-John

RamBean

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 2019 ram from the dealer for ac issues the dealer indicated they just received a tbs or something along those lines basically the unit was not charged or labeled for proper charging and needed a bios flashed hopefully this fixes it

Tom488

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 2019 ram from the dealer for ac issues the dealer indicated they just received a tbs or something along those lines basically the unit was not charged or labeled for proper charging and needed a bios flashed hopefully this fixes it
Lift your hood, and on the passenger side, find the A/C Refrigerant charge sticker. Tell us the part number (on the side, bunch of numbers followed by either AA or AB), then tell us what the charge weight in grams reads (either 510g or 567g).

If you can post a copy of your work order from the dealership's service dept., that would be great, as well

RamBean

Reaction score
Lift your hood, and on the passenger side, find the A/C Refrigerant charge sticker. Tell us the part number (on the side, bunch of numbers followed by either AA or AB), then tell us what the charge weight in grams reads (either 510g or 567g).

If you can post a copy of your work order from the dealership's service dept., that would be great, as well

RamBean

Reaction score

He said they were labeled incorrectly, they did not have any new labels or anything I would have to come back later. As far as invoice I do keep those private. I am sorry I am not really a diy truck guy...... but I can tell you the the dealer got notice late last night about it and it blows much colder now. I recommend calling your dealer and having them check.

Tom488

Reaction score
He said they were labeled incorrectly, they did not have any new labels or anything I would have to come back later. As far as invoice I do keep those private. I am sorry I am not really a diy truck guy...... but I can tell you the the dealer got notice late last night about it and it blows much colder now. I recommend calling your dealer and having them check.
Terrific - thanks so much for the help. :rolleyes:

I know you're new here, but we've been looking at this A/C issue nine ways from Sunday for quite a while now, and we're trying to piece together info. from a lot of different people, as to what was wrong, what might have been done, and what the results were. Dealers vary. One may be extremely helpful, as yours was, while others may simply point to the manufacturer's published specs, declare the system as operating within parameters, and send you on your way. So, your "recommendation" of "call your dealer" is really pointless - as if the people here with persistent A/C issues hadn't thought of that already, or been back and forth to their dealer multiple times. Spend a little time and read the MULTITUDE of A/C threads here on this forum - literally over a year's worth, across at least a dozen threads.

I'm not asking for any personal info - I was simply asking to know what your dealer put on the work order as to what they found, what they did, etc. If they evac'd and recharged the system, it would be good to know the amount of refrigerant they put in. If they updated the software, maybe they referenced the TSB number in the notes.

Rototerrier

Reaction score

?? It isn't a tax return... Who ya protecting? I smell Russian collusion.

RamBean

Reaction score
Terrific - thanks so much for the help. :rolleyes:

I know you're new here, but we've been looking at this A/C issue nine ways from Sunday for quite a while now, and we're trying to piece together info. from a lot of different people, as to what was wrong, what might have been done, and what the results were. Dealers vary. One may be extremely helpful, as yours was, while others may simply point to the manufacturer's published specs, declare the system as operating within parameters, and send you on your way. So, your "recommendation" of "call your dealer" is really pointless - as if the people here with persistent A/C issues hadn't thought of that already, or been back and forth to their dealer multiple times. Spend a little time and read the MULTITUDE of A/C threads here on this forum - literally over a year's worth, across at least a dozen threads.

I'm not asking for any personal info - I was simply asking to know what your dealer put on the work order as to what they found, what they did, etc. If they evac'd and recharged the system, it would be good to know the amount of refrigerant they put in. If they updated the software, maybe they referenced the TSB number in the notes.
I am sorry you have had issues, I just thought you would want to know that there was a bios update a complete evac/recharge done and it was also indicated that they charge levels are labeled incorrectly. He indicated halfway and also indicated TSB was issued late last night...... The TSB is 24-001-19 and star case S1924000015. Who knows if the dealer was telling me a correct release date or they just didn’t look at my car day 1 and needed an excuse but I’ll take the cold air. I hope this helps so you can love your trucks again. I know this had me on the edge of a other wise wonderful truck.

Differia

Reaction score
That TBS was been out since February. Looks like Ram has not come up with any new software for the AC. It's a shame with so many trucks having poor AC performance. My friend has a 2019 classic and its blowing 40 degrees both sides.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
RamBean....No offense but not cool to sign up here as a new guy just to tell us your problem was fixed
I am sorry you have had issues, I just thought you would want to know that there was a bios update a complete evac/recharge done and it was also indicated that they charge levels are labeled incorrectly. He indicated halfway and also indicated TSB was issued late last night...... The TSB is 24-001-19 and star case S1924000015. Who knows if the dealer was telling me a correct release date or they just didn’t look at my car day 1 and needed an excuse but I’ll take the cold air. I hope this helps so you can love your trucks again. I know this had me on the edge of a other wise wonderful truck.

That's an older TSB (issued Feb 2019) and you must have an earlier build truck or they wouldn't have performed the TSB on it. It only applies to trucks built after Jan 8, 2018 and before Sept. 20 , 2018. What is the build date of your truck? - It's on the plate/sticker on driver's door jam.

Thanks for the info but nothing new has come out since that TSB... unfortunately for the guys having issues with trucks outside those build dates.

Last edited:

Flot

Reaction score
I have an update on my situation. (I'm OP) I dropped the truck off for service #3 and again requested they examine the AC and apply the TSB.

I honestly have no idea if they applied the TSB or any software updates, my service adviser was not super helpful with that info and it was a bit chaotic when I picked the truck up. I will be going back in a week or two and will try to get more detail. According to MY copy of invoice, they did claim to evac and recharge the system, and oddly they replaced my blower motor and wheel assembly - which another member had reported months ago helped his problem.

I am hesitant to call it a success yet, but after a week I definitely feel like the truck is cooling better than before. Give me another week or so to monitor and I'll report back, and I will do my best to get details on what the tech did.

ramhead

Reaction score
I have an update on my situation. (I'm OP) I dropped the truck off for service #3 and again requested they examine the AC and apply the TSB.

I honestly have no idea if they applied the TSB or any software updates, my service adviser was not super helpful with that info and it was a bit chaotic when I picked the truck up. I will be going back in a week or two and will try to get more detail. According to MY copy of invoice, they did claim to evac and recharge the system, and oddly they replaced my blower motor and wheel assembly - which another member had reported months ago helped his problem.

I am hesitant to call it a success yet, but after a week I definitely feel like the truck is cooling better than before. Give me another week or so to monitor and I'll report back, and I will do my best to get details on what the tech did.

If they did the TSB it would have been noted on the invoice....if not, they didn't. Again, they can't do the TSB unless the truck fits the parameters of what the TSB states. FCA records all that and will not authorize it to be performed on trucks outside what they have determined the applicable build date range affected. Is your build date between the dates mentioned in TSB?....If so, then print out the TSB I linked above and go to service manager with it demanding it be done. If not applicable then you're out of luck as far as the TSB goes.

Tom488

Reaction score
I am sorry you have had issues, I just thought you would want to know that there was a bios update a
I, personally, don't have an A/C issue - but a lot of others do. The reason I asked you about the refrigerant sticker, was that another member just recently had a similar process at his dealer. They noted he had an "incorrect" sticker that called for 510g of refrigerant, and replaced it with a sticker that read 567g. The problem is, the part number for the 567g sticker is revision AA, while the 510g sticker is rev AB. That makes no sense - it sounds like that particular dealer misread something, and reverted back to some older spec. - that's why I asked about your sticker, and asked about your work order - it would be really helpful to know how much refrigerant they used when refilling your truck's A/C system. Does it specify that anywhere on your work order (without revealing any TS/SCI material that we're not cleared for, of course...)

timtlu

Reaction score
I, personally, don't have an A/C issue - but a lot of others do. The reason I asked you about the refrigerant sticker, was that another member just recently had a similar process at his dealer. They noted he had an "incorrect" sticker that called for 510g of refrigerant, and replaced it with a sticker that read 567g. The problem is, the part number for the 567g sticker is revision AA, while the 510g sticker is rev AB. That makes no sense - it sounds like that particular dealer misread something, and reverted back to some older spec. - that's why I asked about your sticker, and asked about your work order - it would be really helpful to know how much refrigerant they used when refilling your truck's A/C system. Does it specify that anywhere on your work order (without revealing any TS/SCI material that we're not cleared for, of course...)
And in the process, that fried his ac compressor from an apparent refrigerant overcharge, and he was told the compressor part was then on back order. Folks are just trying to nail down the entire situation.

I'm a little contrarian by nature, and feel this whole AC issue is nowhere near as widespread as many think, but still can tell you that pretty much everyone on here is trying to help each other out in some way.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
If they did the TSB it would have been noted on the invoice....if not, they didn't. Again, they can't do the TSB unless the truck fits the parameters of what the TSB states. FCA records all that and will not authorize it to be performed on trucks outside what they have determined the applicable build date range affected. Is your build date between the dates mentioned in TSB?....If so, then print out the TSB I linked above and go to service manager with it demanding it be done. If not applicable then you're out of luck as far as the TSB goes.
Is there a website where you can plug in your VIN and get a list of all TSBs that are associated with the truck? Then, I could just take that list into the dealer and tell them to confirm each was done, and if not, perform it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a website where you can plug in your VIN and get a list of all TSBs that are associated with the truck? Then, I could just take that list into the dealer and tell them to confirm each was done, and if not, perform it.

Dealers would love that...

Tom488

Reaction score
Do not confuse a TSB with a recall. A recall is a statement from the manufacturer, effectively saying, "We screwed this up when we built these trucks - here's what we want you to do to fix it". A TSB, or Technical Service Bulletin, is a way of communicating to dealer service depts that, "Hey, if you get a truck in with the following complaints, and the truck was built in this range, the problem MIGHT be the following, so hopefully this helps you in your diagnosis and repair".

You're not entitled to getting TSBs performed like you are a recall. You can't walk in to a dealership with a fistful of TSBs and demand they get applied to your truck (well, you COULD... but you wouldn't like the response), At best, you can bring your truck in with a specific problem or complaint, and offer the applicable TSB as "helpful info." to the service dept. - who, in all likelihood, will smile, thank you for the info., then promptly dump them in the trash as soon as you leave, and do their own research into the problem.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not confuse a TSB with a recall. A recall is a statement from the manufacturer, effectively saying, "We screwed this up when we built these trucks - here's what we want you to do to fix it". A TSB, or Technical Service Bulletin, is a way of communicating to dealer service depts that, "Hey, if you get a truck in with the following complaints, and the truck was built in this range, the problem MIGHT be the following, so hopefully this helps you in your diagnosis and repair".

You're not entitled to getting TSBs performed like you are a recall. You can't walk in to a dealership with a fistful of TSBs and demand they get applied to your truck (well, you COULD... but you wouldn't like the response), At best, you can bring your truck in with a specific problem or complaint, and offer the applicable TSB as "helpful info." to the service dept. - who, in all likelihood, will smile, thank you for the info., then promptly dump them in the trash as soon as you leave, and do their own research into the problem.

Another way to look at it is that recalls are lawsuit worthy/public safety items, i.e. can the company get sued over it. Electric power steering failure, brake pedal falling off, things like that. Ram probably (who know's with our crazy legal system) can't get sued over wrongful AC performance.

TSBs are documents from Ram so that dealers know how to fix something when a customer comes in with an issue. If it's complicated, especially tech-related, and there's no TSB, dealers can't be expected to know what to do with it.

The trick for most dealers on TSB's is that they need to "diagnose" the problem. So if you find one or more TSBs that you think would solve your problem go into the dealer describing the problem the TSB fixes. Don't even mention TSB unless you have a great relationship with that service department. That way, you listed a valid complaint, they investigated (they do need to replicate it), and voila! There's a TSB that tells them what to do. They apply it and everybody's happy.

ramhead

Reaction score
I re-did the thermometer test in my truck.....Earlier in the week I did the test at around 73 degrees/80% humidity and was getting 47 degrees at the driver's vents.

Well, today it was 91 degrees (40% humidity) and I was getting constant 56 degrees at the same vents at idle or while raising the rpms and/or driving around. Although it felt comfortable enough in the truck I would like it to be at a lower vent temp in that type of heat. I saw the chart somewhere where FCA is claiming vent temps of 55 degrees @ 90 degrees ambient temp. is acceptable so I doubt if I will get any benefit by going in and complaining about the vent temps/ac performance.

One other thing....the truck was parked in the sun all day before I tested it (at around 2:30 pm) and I ran it/drove it for about 25 minutes total so I might be able to get slightly lower vent temps on a longer drive/run time. I'm assuming all the ductwork, plastics, etc in the ac pipeline were all at 120 degrees or more at the start and maybe with some time to cool down would lead to a cooler overall ac system/vent temp being possible.

Users who are viewing this thread