5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Amp and 12” sub install in a HK LIMITED!

Hackmunch

Reaction score
looks good. 8" subs? also i ran into the same problem with the low frequency pulsating with an aftermarket amp. i figuired out what it was. the anc is calibrated that when the truck goes into eco/mds mode the anc throws out a 38hz tone out of phase to eliminate exhaust drone. i have the pulsar so it only does it for about 1 second. if you turn off mds by using tow haul mode or the + gear selector the 38hz tone never happens. i wonder if there is a way to recalibrate the ANC?

Adrianp89

Reaction score
looks good. 8" subs? also i ran into the same problem with the low frequency pulsating with an aftermarket amp. i figuired out what it was. the anc is calibrated that when the truck goes into eco/mds mode the anc throws out a 38hz tone out of phase to eliminate exhaust drone. i have the pulsar so it only does it for about 1 second. if you turn off mds by using tow haul mode or the + gear selector the 38hz tone never happens. i wonder if there is a way to recalibrate the ANC?

Buy the AmpPro, anyone not doing this is just half assing the install IMO.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
So here is the final product in my truck. I’m not real happy with the carpet because it’s obviously not close to the factory carpet color but it was the only navy carpet I could find.
did you get the drone tone to go away in the subs by unhooking the anc mics?

horn1004

Reaction score
The subs are actually 10”. I wanted to go 12” but they required a substantially larger box and I couldn’t make it work. I haven’t unplugged the mics yet so still have the drone. I’ve tried turning off the mds but still have the drone. I’ve got to go in for my first oil change so I’m going to have them disable the anc.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
The subs are actually 10”. I wanted to go 12” but they required a substantially larger box and I couldn’t make it work. I haven’t unplugged the mics yet so still have the drone. I’ve tried turning off the mds but still have the drone. I’ve got to go in for my first oil change so I’m going to have them disable the anc.
ok cool, let us know if disabling the anc works.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I don’t see the dealers disabling ANC. The sound has 100% nothing to do with MDS.

Again, do the install right and there will be no issue. ‍♂️

Hackmunch

Reaction score
the 38hz drone on mine has 100% to do with MDS and the ANC. if i put mine in tow haul mode or use manual gear limit it will not do it. i also know if has to do with the ANC because if i crack window it wont do it.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
the 38hz drone on mine has 100% to do with MDS and the ANC. if i put mine in tow haul mode or use manual gear limit it will not do it. i also know if has to do with the ANC because if i crack window it wont do it.

It is an affect of the sound from MDS but it is a result from ANC countering the sound from MDS. Disabling ANC would fix the issue. No different than Fords or Honda’s. Why you would want to disable a feature that makes your 60k truck sound worse is beyond me though.

horn1004

Reaction score
Got my first oil change and had them disable the ANC. Pulled the 8 microphone wires from the amp and no more issues. Took them about 5 min to do. Didn’t even charge me for it!

franc944

Reaction score
Did they do it under the seat? Was the wire cut?

How exactly was it disconnected ?

horn1004

Reaction score
They pulled the pins from the harness, taped them up and plugged the harness back in. It’s the white connector closest to the rear seat on the amp.

sswails1

Reaction score
Aren’t the microphone ANC wires all orange with different color stripes?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buy the AmpPro, anyone not doing this is just half assing the install IMO.

From numerous install experiences, I think this is good advice. Start splicing on to wires and tapping, next thing you know there's noise you can't isolate.

What model number did you use? Also, I assume you removed the head unit. How laborious was that process?

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Does the ampro delete the anc?

No, it draws a flat signal from the radio directly, which will completely by pass anc.

The 12” screen is very easy to remove, two screws at the top and clips all around.

Bacoviah

Reaction score
No, it draws a flat signal from the radio directly, which will completely by pass anc.

The 12” screen is very easy to remove, two screws at the top and clips all around.
Sorry. What I meant was basically the anc no longer will be working. Thanks

Hackmunch

Reaction score
the anc is built into the amp on the upgraded options. if you use the amppro rca outputs to run the entire system your anc will not work at all.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is a rarity! I had to remove my entire center console and shifter in my f150. PIA.

Having a flat signal for the sub while maintaining the rest of the system integrity is great.

Do you have a link or model number so we know exactly which one? Crutchfield is not updated for 2019.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
the anc is built into the amp on the upgraded options. if you use the amppro rca outputs to run the entire system your anc will not work at all.

Correct if you replace everything (I think at that point, its common sense that ANC will not work lol)

For just adding a subwoofer, it has no affect on ANC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread