5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Amp and 12” sub install in a HK LIMITED!

Adrianp89

Reaction score
This is a rarity! I had to remove my entire center console and shifter in my f150. PIA.

Having a flat signal for the sub while maintaining the rest of the system integrity is great.

Do you have a link or model number so we know exactly which one? Crutchfield is not updated for 2019.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro-amplifier-interfaces/ap4-ch41

Search around and it can be had much cheaper that MSRP, IIRC closer to half off MSRP.

Which model F150? I don't think I have ever come across one that was really that bad. Most are super easy, in fact one of my favorite vehicles to do radio/speakers.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score

franc944

Reaction score
Ok I’m sold. I want the PAC AP4-CH41.

I won’t spend the $249 though.

I did a internet search and that’s the lowest price.

Has anyone found the AP4-CH41 for less?

Put up a link. Where?

Hackmunch

Reaction score
there is other options. im going to be testing my theory here in the next few days for people that dont want to spend 250$ for the pac.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
there is other options. im going to be testing my theory here in the next few days for people that dont want to spend 250$ for the pac.

Both Metra and Maestro make solutions but the Pac is the best bang for your buck. Maestro stuff works great but better for full replacement, and Metra stuff is just not very good or reliable these days. I’m not sure of any other solutions since these units tie into the canbus network.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Very true, I was going to install my Helix Pro and Director with this vehicle but I have changed my mind. I’ll either sell that gear and put it in another vehicle and I’m going to order this per your suggestion. :)

Esworld05

Reaction score
The only other solution is to solder resisters to all the outputs of the stock amp. That is tedious as heck. For 200 bucks you sinplify the install and get a flat signal. If you want you can also connect a dsp to the pac for more control.

Esworld05

Reaction score
You're going to get a lot of interference with something like that due to the ANC.

Stevo

Reaction score
Bare with me if you don’t mind. But i do the loc off the head unit and not the amp how will there be interference? Sorry for all the questions but i have used these on 3 different cars with factory amps 2 Honda’s and a scion.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Bare with me if you don’t mind. But i do the loc off the head unit and not the amp how will there be interference? Sorry for all the questions but i have used these on 3 different cars with factory amps 2 Honda’s and a scion.
stevo you are 100% correct. the anc is built into the amp which is controlled by the 4 microphones in the cabin. Now this is what i was alluding to in my previous post. the 8 wires (front right and left + and - along with rear right and left + and -) feeding the signa;l to the stock amp might not be high level. i planed on pulling the input wires from the stock amp this weekend and oscoping them to see what kind of signal is feeding the amp. an electrical engineer buddy of mine claims it is a low level 5vrms signal. he claims that the pac unit just piggy backs the low level signal output coming out of the radio at the radio harness then sends it to there dsp/eq unit. now if your just adding a sub i would say piggybacking to the amps input would work the best because ur by passing the anc only for the sub. the only problem with doing it for the whole system would be chimes, anc and other audio related functions the truck has that probably runs thu the canbus to the factory amp. hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend and i can test the amp inputs to see really what is going on in the signal path.,

Esworld05

Reaction score
I tried that on my 2017 non bose Silverado and although it seemed like it worked, the bass was not as strong, or present as when I connected it after the amp.

Stevo

Reaction score
Oh yeah and idk if it makes a difference or not but i have the uconnect 3 i think it’s the 5” screen.

Stevo

Reaction score
Ok. So after talking to crutchfield and a local shop here’s basically what i was told. I’d have to disconnect the anc mic’s and it was recommended for an audio control lc2i to use for the conversion. I think i might just skip it.

Esworld05

Reaction score
Get the Pac unit lol. Youll be happy with it.
I think you might be ok with a loc with the 5" screen.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
You cannot just cut the audio wires from the head unit. You will get sound but no volume control, volume is controlled through the can network. This is a different story if you have a non amplified truck, but this thread is for HK owners.

The AP4 and other pieces like it are literally the only option.

Users who are viewing this thread