5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
My dealer had the truck all day and.... The notes said "unable to configure passive entry". I questioned the service guy at length until I finally asked him to bring the tech up to talk to me because he wasn't understanding me. I asked the tech if he did an RFH reset or replace and he couldn't answer me, he just kept going around in circles about whether it would work or not or whether it would download anything new or not. Long story short, he didn't even try it because he thought it wouldn't work. His words "It's not going to program any new features other than what it came from FCA with". I said oh yea what happens if you have to replace a defective RFH? He said FCA will send it with the right features for my VIN.... I let them know how disappointed I was with them because I had already proven that I could do something they said couldn't be done (adding power folding mirrors), but yet they didn't even try what I asked them to do because they thought they knew better than me.... UGH! If any of you know a Chrysler tech or can get some specific set of instructions on how they perform the actual procedure for the RFH replace or reset, I will try a different dealer.

ALSO... I took in a second key fob that I purchased on ebay. They said it's not possible to pair that with the truck because the fobs are VIN locked. Is that true or just more BS?

Thanks guys!

downsjh

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get the pin to do the reset/replace yourself via Alphaobd? Even if it’s a rolling pin only valid for a short duration, it might be better than the dealer. This assumes the dealer will give you the correct code.

I was told by my dealer that once a key is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be changed. The dealer purchased a new key fob, and programmed it for my truck ( I only got 1 key when I bought my new truck).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bram2019

Reaction score
My dealer had the truck all day and.... The notes said "unable to configure passive entry". I questioned the service guy at length until I finally asked him to bring the tech up to talk to me because he wasn't understanding me. I asked the tech if he did an RFH reset or replace and he couldn't answer me, he just kept going around in circles about whether it would work or not or whether it would download anything new or not. Long story short, he didn't even try it because he thought it wouldn't work. His words "It's not going to program any new features other than what it came from FCA with". I said oh yea what happens if you have to replace a defective RFH? He said FCA will send it with the right features for my VIN.... I let them know how disappointed I was with them because I had already proven that I could do something they said couldn't be done (adding power folding mirrors), but yet they didn't even try what I asked them to do because they thought they knew better than me.... UGH! If any of you know a Chrysler tech or can get some specific set of instructions on how they perform the actual procedure for the RFH replace or reset, I will try a different dealer.

ALSO... I took in a second key fob that I purchased on ebay. They said it's not possible to pair that with the truck because the fobs are VIN locked. Is that true or just more BS?

Thanks guys!
You can generally add up to 8 key fobs to a rf hub. Your original keys are programmed to your vin. If you add a key fob, it is required to use witech. The tech needs to obtain a pin code from parts department. He can then add the key fob as long as it is new and blank. A Fob is Vin locked to the original truck. If it is USED, it will not work. So a used fob from ebay will not work. He is correct about that. This can be verified with witech. He can also do an RF hub reset with a pin code. He can also do a rf hub replace procedure whiich requires he has all key fobs for the vehicle. The original keys and new and blank ones. Most likely he would need to do a rf hub replace procedure to guarantee the bcm sends the info to the rf hub. Not sure if it will transfer with a simple reset. The tech was either incompetent, or did not know if he could get paid to do this. Generally to add a new key fob will take the same time as doing an rf hub replace procedure. My guess is the dealer would charge 30 minutes to 1 hour labor. This is not a free repair. Find a different dealer. When you go tell them you updated the bcm with an accessory and you want an rf hub replace procedure performed. Tell them you were advised this needs to be done to update the rf hub to make your accessory work. You will probably need to agree to pay whether the procedure works or not. If you want a new key added at the time, tell them and they can do it.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m working on a backup plan, I also struck out at my dealer. I figured out all he really did, was misunderstand what I was asking, and did a vehicle config restore from FCA. So, all my Alfa settings back to stock. That’s ok.

I’ve been in contact with Autel, who tells me there Maxisys line of products CAN work with the 2019 RF hub and the purchase of the new tool includes a 1-year subscription to Some sort of mopar service.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
I’m working on a backup plan, I also struck out at my dealer. I figured out all he really did, was misunderstand what I was asking, and did a vehicle config restore from FCA. So, all my Alfa settings back to stock. That’s ok.

I’ve been in contact with Autel, who tells me there Maxisys line of products CAN work with the 2019 RF hub and the purchase of the new tool includes a 1-year subscription to Some sort of mopar service.
SAME here... They reset all my settings back to stock too. I noticed as soon as I tried to fold-in my mirrors. I too am working on a slightly different backup plan. I'm meeting with a locksmith this week who claims they can program the used key fob to my truck. I plan to work with them to see if they also have any abilities to reset and/or replace config on the RFH through their equipment.

Bram2019

Reaction score
SAME here... They reset all my settings back to stock too. I noticed as soon as I tried to fold-in my mirrors. I too am working on a slightly different backup plan. I'm meeting with a locksmith this week who claims they can program the used key fob to my truck. I plan to work with them to see if they also have any abilities to reset and/or replace config on the RFH through their equipment.
There are new key fobs available for $100.00 if they can't program used key. Do a google search.

scujr

Reaction score
Was wondering if there are any updates on the progress for the people who have started this process? Has anyone successfully got the passive entry to work ?

mcx6

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people, thinking I had the passive entry on my Bighorn Ram, but all it has is the push button start, following this thread, hoping to get this added, truly miss this option.

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people, thinking I had the passive entry on my Bighorn Ram, but all it has is the push button start, following this thread, hoping to get this added, truly miss this option.

Yeah me too, 2019 Rebel. Everyone interested in this upgrade should contact infotainment.com. I’ve already let them know that it is a needed upgrade for 2019 rams with the pushbutton start.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
Yeah me too, 2019 Rebel. Everyone interested in this upgrade should contact infotainment.com. I’ve already let them know that it is a needed upgrade for 2019 rams with the pushbutton start.

If we could get that going I would be happy to test for them, being that I've already got the door harnesses and handles installed.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I struck out at the locksmith. They couldn't do the 2019 trucks yet :(
I tried a locksmith, and also a mobile pcm programming guy the car dealers around here use, and same thing, no go on the 2019s. I’m not giving up on this yet, and thanks for keeping chipping away at it. We’ll get it.

I think internationalkeysupply.com may have some kind of witech2 / techauthority 3-day rental program I may look into.

scujr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried an aftermarket proximity door unlock system? If so do you have any recommendations?

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
well everyone, I have bad news. I finally got the dealer to try the RF Hub replace procedure today. It would not let them. The option was greyed out and gave an error stating something like the RFH could not be replaced because it was already configured. At this point I don't see a way to do it without actually replacing the RFH with a new one, and even that might be a crapshoot if FCA is limiting everything based on the vin

Last edited:

2019Rebel0747

Reaction score
well everyone, I have bad news. I finally got the dealer to try the RF Hub replace procedure today. It would not let them. The option was greyed out and gave an error stating something like the RFH could not be replaced because it was already configured. At this point I don't see a way to do it without actually replacing the RFH with a new one, and even that might be a crapshoot if FCA is limiting everything based on the VIN.

Hopefully this is something they put out at some point as a retro kit. It makes no sense to have push button start and no passive entry. I get annoyed every time I walk up to my truck and realize I have to take out the key fob to unlock. It’s always when my hands are full and I never put the damn thing in the same pocket for some reason...

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jason, thanks for the persistence. I'm keep moving forward. Autotechelectronics, sells a kit for 4th gen, that includes the handles, an RF Hub, and 2 new fobiks. I inquired about a 5th gen kit, but they didn't have one yet. This was a while ago. Maybe its time to give them a ring again. When I spoke with them, they explained how there kits work. They pre-program a new RF hub in their shop, to the fobiks, and your vin..so its a plug & play process on the user end. It is a little more costly however. But, they did seem to have a way to program the RF Hubs in there shop.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
Jason, thanks for the persistence. I'm keep moving forward. Autotechelectronics, sells a kit for 4th gen, that includes the handles, an RF Hub, and 2 new fobiks. I inquired about a 5th gen kit, but they didn't have one yet. This was a while ago. Maybe its time to give them a ring again. When I spoke with them, they explained how there kits work. They pre-program a new RF hub in their shop, to the fobiks, and your vin..so its a plug & play process on the user end. It is a little more costly however. But, they did seem to have a way to program the RF Hubs in there shop.
That sounds great. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for that.

Heli-Pilot

Reaction score
Add me to the list! Just bought 2019 Lonestar/Bighorn with Level 2 and thought it would have the passive entry. I mean really? It has push button start so why not? Even the cheapo rental car Dodge Charger SXT's have it! o_O

Helish1

Reaction score
Add me to the list! Just bought 2019 Lonestar/Bighorn with Level 2 and thought it would have the passive entry. I mean really? It has push button start so why not? Even the cheapo rental car Dodge Charger SXT's have it! o_O
I was surprised myself. I had no idea. I just assumed it was standard. Thought I was alone till I got in here to see I wasn’t the only one. Sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread