5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

LouInAL

Reaction score
Im the same way. My daily commuter is Buick Verano with the keyless perimeter sensors. Didnt even realize my Ram didnt have it until I got it home an went out to open the door with the fob in my pocket. It annoys the hell out of me that vehicles with push button start do not have this feature. If im taking my fob out of my pocket to open the door, I may as well stick a key in an ignition.
Exactly! Isn't the point of push button start to make it so you just jump in your vehicle, push a button and go, without having to dig around in your pocket for a key or fob? Not having passive entry kinda screws that happy scenario.

onebadtwo

Reaction score
This is the 1 thing I really wish mine had... Hopefully they come out with a retrofit kit or something.

Jcalton

Reaction score
It's not even a huge deal to me but all the times I've pulled the handle because I'm use to passive entry is ridiculous. And I agree with the sentiment if I had to take the keys out of my pocket to unlock the doors, push button doesnt make much sense. Except for being less likely of leaving keys in the truck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
I got my door harness and magnetic cap yesterday, now I just need to get it installed and try it out. I confirmed that the door harness has the appropriate wiring to connect to the handle, and it looks like a very easy install. Also, I had turned on all of the passive entry settings in the Alphaobd for the passive entry and the truck started complaining with multiple horn honks every time I locked the doors. I think it's already looking for the hardware to be there, so I'm wondering if the RF Hub reset will even be necessary if the truck is already expecting the hardware to be present. Will see in a day or three :)

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my door harness and magnetic cap yesterday, now I just need to get it installed and try it out. I confirmed that the door harness has the appropriate wiring to connect to the handle, and it looks like a very easy install. Also, I had turned on all of the passive entry settings in the Alphaobd for the passive entry and the truck started complaining with multiple horn honks every time I locked the doors. I think it's already looking for the hardware to be there, so I'm wondering if the RF Hub reset will even be necessary if the truck is already expecting the hardware to be present. Will see in a day or three :)
View attachment 32216
Good Luck. I hope it works...

Bram2019

Reaction score
View attachment 32216
was the wiring in the truck from rf hub to lf door post. or did you need to run your own.

Lslblues

Reaction score
View attachment 32216

Please give us details on install and how it goes. I'm looking to do this as well.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
was the wiring in the truck from rf hub to lf door post. or did you need to run your own.
I hope the wiring is there! I could see FCA having separate door harnesses for this feature, but not separate body harnesses... so I'm gambling on the rest of the wiring being present.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I hope the wiring is there! I could see FCA having separate door harnesses for this feature, but not separate body harnesses... so I'm gambling on the rest of the wiring being present.
you will know when you pull the door post connector. The 2 matching pins are there hopefully there

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
ok I couldn't wait so I decided to come home early and install the harness. There were 2 extra pins in the new harness (oddly, they were not in the same connector at the 2 door jamb connectors), but I could see that there was a connecting wire on the door jamb side for both of the extra pins. I think I read somewhere those wires are TX and RX, so it might make sense having them being in different connectors. Either way, I turned on the settings in the Alphaobd, confirmed that I have the menu item in settings and check-marked it, but there is still no function of the handle or the button. Next step for me is to ask the dealer to reset the RF Hub when I have them program a new key fob for me.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok I couldn't wait so I decided to come home early and install the harness. There were 2 extra pins in the new harness (oddly, they were not in the same connector at the 2 door jamb connectors), but I could see that there was a connecting wire on the door jamb side for both of the extra pins. I think I read somewhere those wires are TX and RX, so it might make sense having them being in different connectors. Either way, I turned on the settings in the Alphaobd, confirmed that I have the menu item in settings and check-marked it, but there is still no function of the handle or the button. Next step for me is to ask the dealer to reset the RF Hub when I have them program a new key fob for me.

The 3 honks, is an additional setting you can disable if you like in Alfaobd, it’s Fobik Safe Enable, and what I found it does, is 3 honks, and unlocks your doors, if you try to hit the lock button and close your doors, before your key fob is far enough away from the rear door antenna. If your like me, my habit is to hit the power lock button on the driver door before closing the door.

Bram2019

Reaction score
The sense and return are in 2 different plugs in the double door plug for the handle. The speaker tweeter could be the extra wires. The door handle I think is using pin 17 of the brown plug and pin 11 of the natural color plug. Pin 11 is in the dead center of the natural plug.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
The 3 honks, is an additional setting you can disable if you like in Alfaobd, it’s Fobik Safe Enable, and what I found it does, is 3 honks, and unlocks your doors, if you try to hit the lock button and close your doors, before your key fob is far enough away from the rear door antenna. If your like me, my habit is to hit the power lock button on the driver door before closing the door.
I always use the door button too, and this did not start until I enabled passive entry in the truck with alphaobd. I suspect the rear door antennas are disabled and enabled along with passive entry, which might explain why the fob is more sensitive in that area now. I guess they designed trucks without PE to be able to use the inside door button, but trucks with PE have to use the outside door button. My Range Rover acts exactly the same way. If you hit the inside door button while standing outside the car with the fob, the doors lock and immediately unlock. But if you close the door, the button on the handle works fine. Now I just need to get this handle activated. Hopefully the RFH reset is all that's left and hopefully the dealer will be able to do it.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
The sense and return are in 2 different plugs in the double door plug for the handle. The speaker tweeter could be the extra wires. The door handle I think is using pin 17 of the brown plug and pin 11 of the natural color plug. Pin 11 is in the dead center of the natural plug.
My truck does not have the separate tweeter and the harness I got did not have any other extra wires besides the door handle plug and the extra 1 wire per plug in the door jamb. I remember one of the pins being dead center in the plug so I think I'm in good shape on the wiring. I'm debating if I should go ahead and purchase the harness, handle, and cap for the passenger door, or wait until I can see if the RFH reset will get it working first. The cost is about $180 per door...

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's what's happening now. I tested at lunch and had a friend walk away with the key fob. Once they were about 15-20 feet away I hit the lock button, the doors locked, then shut the door and got the 3-beeps with unlock. I'm wondering if it's a fail-safe mode like my other car does due to the missing hardware in the other door. Or some other reason.

Nick2019

Reaction score
They system is going to be looking for both sets of hardware. If one side isn't set up there could be some flaws.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I confirmed on a grand Cherokee, you can have the passenger door unplugged, and the driver door passive entry still works. The Fobik_Safe enable function is simply an add-on that can be turned on or off, as a way to prevent accidentally locking your fob in your car by mistake, whether by the inside door button or outside door button. You can definitely disable it without affecting passive entry function.

ZEW77

Reaction score
Hopefully once one of you get this working, you could do a write-up with all the part numbers so we could all get this done. I know I thought I had this option on my Bighorn I just ordered but I don't and I really wish I had it. Thanks for all the hard work guys! I'm looking forward to a possible way of adding this feature!

Bram2019

Reaction score
My truck does not have the separate tweeter and the harness I got did not have any other extra wires besides the door handle plug and the extra 1 wire per plug in the door jamb. I remember one of the pins being dead center in the plug so I think I'm in good shape on the wiring. I'm debating if I should go ahead and purchase the harness, handle, and cap for the passenger door, or wait until I can see if the RFH reset will get it working first. The cost is about $180 per door...
I was under the impression that you had 2 extra wires along with the 2 wires for the passive entry. I must have misunderstood. I knew your truck did not have a tweeter, but I thought the harness you bought may have had the extra wires for the tweeter which you would not need anyway. Hoping you get this working as I want to do the same.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I always use the door button too, and this did not start until I enabled passive entry in the truck with alphaobd. I suspect the rear door antennas are disabled and enabled along with passive entry, which might explain why the fob is more sensitive in that area now. I guess they designed trucks without PE to be able to use the inside door button, but trucks with PE have to use the outside door button. My Range Rover acts exactly the same way. If you hit the inside door button while standing outside the car with the fob, the doors lock and immediately unlock. But if you close the door, the button on the handle works fine. Now I just need to get this handle activated. Hopefully the RFH reset is all that's left and hopefully the dealer will be able to do it.
I suspect a rf hub reset or a rf hub replace procedure will make this work. May need to try both to see if it works. RF hub replace is generally only done upon replacing the RF hub, but in this case it may be necessary to get the RF hub to read the bcm. Make sure you have all your key fobs with you when you bring it to the dealer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread