5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

Jcalton

Reaction score
Mike, can you give an overview of what is/will be needed for alfaobd? I see in their site mention of a bypass cable, but only certain models need one and there are multiple bypasses as well. Then what obd interface do you use?

I'm sure I can dig into it and figure it out, but if you already have a successful setup itd be great to know what works

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bram2019

Reaction score
I ran them thru the boot..
So you had to run them from the handle all the way to the rf hub or did you find a place to connect into the harness. As I said previously, did you buy the caps for the door handles.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
So you had to run them from the handle all the way to the rf hub or did you find a place to connect into the harness. As I said previously, did you buy the caps for the door handles.
Replace the handle with one that has the electronics and button. They are only about $80 each.

downsjh

Reaction score
Anything new on the dealer reset of the rf hub to enable Passive entry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
FYI, I found door harness's for purchase specific to the wiring for the passive entry. I've got one ordered and will post back when I have it in hand. I'm hoping it's $85 well spent and I do not have to run wiring from the door handle all the way to the back wall of the cab. So at this point I'm out about $170 to setup one door, not counting programming costs...

Anything new on the dealer reset of the rf hub to enable Passive entry?
Also waiting on pins and needles!

More info from my dealer, they were not able to even add the GXD code for my VIN at all. I will have to also go the AlphaOBD route for programming. The dealer did say they would be willing to do the RF Hub reset once I have everything ready, so that's a plus.

1997pgt

Reaction score
Hope this all works out, missed this feature a lot going from a 16' laramie to a 19' Bighorn

Nick2019

Reaction score
So far I see that adding the sales code GXD ( which is the proximity sensing needed for passive entry) isn't an option for most 2019s without the option already.

parnine

Reaction score
So far I see that adding the sales code GXD ( which is the proximity sensing needed for passive entry) isn't an option for most 2019s without the option already.

How are you seeing this? And are you saying it is NOT possible to add passive entry as those following this thread would like to do?

Nick2019

Reaction score
How are you seeing this? And are you saying it is NOT possible to add passive entry as those following this thread would like to do?
I work at a dodge dealership. I am also trying to switch to passive entry and so far I see the process needs to be buying the handles and caps. And depending on your vehicles antennas and door harnesses you add the GXD sales code, reconfigure the RFhub and it should work. The problem is some of these 19 body control modules don't support the passive entry sales code or (GXD). My handles just came in today I will update on further findings.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nick - I used the alfaobd program, and I enabled passive entry in my bcm settings, and after a reboot, my radio settings screen now displays Passive Entry with a check/uncheck box under Doors & Locks. I bought a handle, wired it up, but I'm not able to see if with my diag tools, since I can't really get much in or out of the RFH without a PIN number.

I asked my dealer to reconfigurations the RFH, and I'm grateful the took a look, but I don't know what they actually were able to do. I wish I was there to see. It may not work, don't know, I'm happy they at least tried. I'd like to give it another go at some point.

If you make some progress, please share with us! Thanks for taking the time..Appreciate it.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Nick - I used the alfaobd program, and I enabled passive entry in my bcm settings, and after a reboot, my radio settings screen now displays Passive Entry with a check/uncheck box under Doors & Locks. I bought a handle, wired it up, but I'm not able to see if with my diag tools, since I can't really get much in or out of the RFH without a PIN number.

I asked my dealer to reconfigurations the RFH, and I'm grateful the took a look, but I don't know what they actually were able to do. I wish I was there to see. It may not work, don't know, I'm happy they at least tried. I'd like to give it another go at some point.

If you make some progress, please share with us! Thanks for taking the time..Appreciate it.
Did you also install the cap by the handle. It has a magnet it it. If your present cap does not have the magnet, it won't work.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you also install the cap by the handle. It has a magnet it it. If your present cap does not have the magnet, it won't work.
won't work as in, won't lock or unlock without the magnet? dang maybe that's what I forgot.

asac12

Reaction score
Does anybody have the model number for the passive entry door handles? I'm looking for all PRV handles without the chrome. Thanks!

Bram2019

Reaction score
won't work as in, won't lock or unlock without the magnet? dang maybe that's what I forgot.
Will not unlock. When the handle is in the closed position, the circuit to the rf hub senses the magnet. As you pull the handle open, the sensor in the handle sensess the change in the magnetic field. Thats how the RF hub knows you pulled the handle. The botton on the handle to lock the door is simply a push button switch. You can pull the cap off pretty easy and see if the magnet is there.

Nick2019

Reaction score

So did you not add any sales codes? You enabled it through alfaobd, reconfigured the hub, and attached it to the door harness? My big problem was the sales code.

parnine

Reaction score
I work at a dodge dealership. I am also trying to switch to passive entry and so far I see the process needs to be buying the handles and caps. And depending on your vehicles antennas and door harnesses you add the GXD sales code, reconfigure the RFhub and it should work. The problem is some of these 19 body control modules don't support the passive entry sales code or (GXD). My handles just came in today I will update on further findings.

Thanks. I have the RF hub (so I believe) and a 4/19 mfr date, so I'm hoping I can add passive entry and REALLY appreciate all the info you and others are providing - THANKS Much!

looking forward to the updates

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So did you not add any sales codes? You enabled it through alfaobd, reconfigured the hub, and attached it to the door harness? My big problem was the sales code.
Yes, In theory. At least that’s the process for adding it to 2017 / 2018 rams, and challengers/chargers etc.

Once you enable in the BCM, the option appears on the radio screen. Last step is the RF Hub reconfigure / replace, which tells the RF hub to download new config from the BCM. RF Hub does not realize any changes without PIN number, it’s a locked system.

The challenge for me, is getting a dealer to todo a RF hub reset, because I don’t think they understand why it’s needed.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Different year but good background info here of the principals

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
Does anybody have the model number for the passive entry door handles? I'm looking for all PRV handles without the chrome. Thanks!
Here you go, should run about $85 if you google around. 6CV64NRVAD
https://www.factorychryslerparts.co...r-Door-Right-or-Left/13285177/6CV64NRVAD.html

edit: looks like you may also need the caps. I dont know about the color code. Here I found 3 different variants of RED, so you may want to double check all of these.
FLAME RED 6CV52PR4AB & 6CV50PR4AC
DARK GARNET RED PEARLCOAT 6CV52NRVAB & 6CV50NRVAB

Last edited:

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
Thank you for this tidbit! I missed it in my research, but there are different part numbers for the caps with and without passive entry. Thankfully they are very cheap! Got mine ordered today!

Users who are viewing this thread