5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@RamCares

Add me to the list of owners who thought they were getting "keyless entry". Had it in my Jeep GC, figured "keyless" meant "keyless" here too, but nope. It is a real head scratcher that they would split that feature up, like if I need to pull the keys out of my pocket to get into the truck then I don't need push button start either.

I hope ram considers allowing us to retrofit this feature, it's really bad marketing on their part and many of us obviously feel tricked by the whole thing, especially those of us who had both keyless entry + keyless start in previous ram products. That feeling of being tricked doesn't go away, ram, so please do the right thing here. I don't mind paying the dealer to do it if it it's a reasonable cost.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is confusing as hell yes. The whole tow mirror fiasco was a case in point.

Barney556180

Reaction score
There are a lot of things that are puzzling! I don’t know how things standard on previous models become options going forward. I have never seen or heard of companies doing this.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have two gripes for previously standard-now deleted features: The under-hood light, and rear wheel liners. Both were included on my 2017 Sport but MIA on my 2019 Laramie...

Last edited:

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to add it as well. I’ve purchased the handles. If you have push button start, your truck already has the required antennas, and RF hub.

The handles have 2 wires, then connect to the RF hub harness. Then, the BCM needs to have passive entry enabled. I did this myself with Alfaobd.

Next, you need a dealer, or a witech2 to reset/replace the RF Hub config. Can’t do this yourself, because it requires a 24-hour expiring rolling code pin. Same pin to add new keys.

The “reset” tells the RF Hub to download the new truck config from the BCM, which contains whether or not passive entry is installed. Otherwise, the wires stay dead.

I’m working with a dealer to do this for me now. I’ll post up once I have them working.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
mike_ct thanks for the update!!!

Question out there....what is the max range that door unlocks when you are approaching? 3 feet away, 2 etc?
Edit---found answer---With a valid Passive Entry RKE Key Fob within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's door handle, grab the front driver door handle to unlock the driver's door automatically.

This looks like the parts???

If this is the parts list, since I already have the push button start; I will only need parts 12 and 13 (along with handles)?
(of course the BCM, RF Hub reconfig)

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mike_ct thanks for the update!!!

Question out there....what is the max range that door unlocks when you are approaching? 3 feet away, 2 etc?
Edit---found answer---With a valid Passive Entry RKE Key Fob within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's door handle, grab the front driver door handle to unlock the driver's door automatically.

This looks like the parts???

If this is the parts list, since I already have the push button start; I will only need parts 12 and 13 (along with handles)?
(of course the BCM, RF Hub reconfig)
I'm pretty sure you just need handles. The birectional antenna's are already there, and used for push button start..

The only antenna missing from my bighorn, is one that goes outside behind the back license plate, and it used so the tailgate can open via proximity sensing which I dont care about a this point. That's antenna 5 in the wiring diagram.

Antenna 3 and 4 are the rear wall, and center console, which I had.

Antenna 1 and 2, are in the rear, doors. I think they are there. At least the wiring leaves the RF hub and runs into the rear door harness. I'm pretty sure they are there. I will check.

SATCOM

Reaction score
I had similar confusion but with tailgate lock. New Laramie key fob is in pants pocket, never needs to come out. Same with tailgate lock but NO where in manual does it describe “Tailgate” under locks. Lock truck with button on door handle, walk to back of the truck, and find tailgate NOT locked. (Because key fob is in your pocket) However walk away, leave key fob 30 feet away and walk back to truck and find everything locked including tailgate.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tailgate doesn’t actually lock, but, if truck doors are locked, the unlatch request signal is denied. If doors unlocked, or if key fob within 5 feet of bumper, then the unlatch signal is granted.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
I'm hoping to add passive entry to my truck as well. I went into the door last night to install a new handle with button and found no wiring connector inside the door to connect it to. I was hoping to get lucky on that... Do you guys know if that wiring is part of the door harness, or no? On my Range Rover the handle is wired directly to the door lock actuator, so I assumed this would be similar. Looks like there are 2 different door lock actuators, which might be part of it, but I couldn't find wiring specific for passive entry, except for an entire door harness.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the 2 wires, from the passive entry door handle, trace back to the RF hub behind the rear seat. If you want PM me, I'll email you the diagrams I have. Once you enable the option in the bcm, you need a RF Hub reset (required a pin) - the "reset" copies the new config from the BCM, so it realized the new handles are installed.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
the 2 wires, from the passive entry door handle, trace back to the RF hub behind the rear seat. If you want PM me, I'll email you the diagrams I have. Once you enable the option in the bcm, you need a RF Hub reset (required a pin) - the "reset" copies the new config from the BCM, so it realized the new handles are installed.
mike_ct,

Can you copy and paste the information onto this screen so we all can see it please? (or attach the documents will work the same way)

So what all did you need to get/gather together to make it work? Do you have part number for the passive entry door handles?

Thanks for your help!!!

Gsmith223

Reaction score
If it makes anyone feel better I made ram aware of the false advertising of the passive entry BACK IN November. Looks like they still haven't fixed the issue

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im sure you'll be able to add it at some point. I added it to my 13 ram. Once OBDAlfa add the 19 to its abilities adding sales codes will be a snap. I had fully functioning passive entry key n go working on my old truck. I had to add a lot more parts on it since it didn't have anything. I think the 19s already have the antennas so it would be a matter of changing the rf hub and door handles and adding sales codes

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
alfaobd was able to enable the setting in the BCM..the only thing I couldn't do from them, is the RF hub config reset, because it requires a dealer PIN number based on vin, and the pin's are single use and expire after 12 hours. I worked with alfaobd developer, and was able to get a few pins to try, but we wouldn't get it to work. I'm hopefully have a dealer reset the rf hub for me on Monday, and I should have my handles working if all goes well. I will post up once its done.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
alfaobd was able to enable the setting in the BCM..the only thing I couldn't do from them, is the RF hub config reset, because it requires a dealer PIN number based on vin, and the pin's are single use and expire after 12 hours. I worked with alfaobd developer, and was able to get a few pins to try, but we wouldn't get it to work. I'm hopefully have a dealer reset the rf hub for me on Monday, and I should have my handles working if all goes well. I will post up once its done.
Pin is not 24 hour time limited. I had the one for my 13 and it lasted forever. The pin can be gotten at the dealer. As long as you have proof of ownership they will typically give it to you. It is easily accessible from dealer connect for them. You can do the RF hub reset with it and program keys as well Ive used it for all of that.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pin is not 24 hour time limited. I had the one for my 13 and it lasted forever. The pin can be gotten at the dealer. As long as you have proof of ownership they will typically give it to you. It is easily accessible from dealer connect for them. You can do the RF hub reset with it and program keys as well Ive used it for all of that.
That’s for a 2013, which had a RF hub mfg by Continental. 2019 trucks, have a Strattec hub, and they are rolling pin code only, with 2 logins.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Were the wires for the handles in the front door or did you need to run them to the door post area. There is another issue also. The caps on the door handles have magnets in them in passive entry systems. Did you also replace the caps.

Last edited:

downsjh

Reaction score
So, alfaOBD does support 2019 RAM?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, alfaOBD does support 2019 RAM?
not officially (yet), but several features are working..the BCM works, which is where a lot of config stuff is located..the RFH is not working.

Users who are viewing this thread