5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding passive entry

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! Which antenna did you use?

It was one Jimmy07 sent me for testing. 56046957AA is one of two part numbers on it. Appears to fit a ton of models, and at $8 online, I don’t see what it doesn’t do that a $250 one would. Even the mounting tabs lined up. I just need to get the right pins to secure it or use some small bolts.

Tallus

Reaction score
I’m now confident in saying that the system is working just as it would on a factory-equipped passive entry truck with the 5th antenna installed. All functions work to include the passive tailgate entry and fobik safe, which will only warn you and auto-unlock on its own if you leave the fob inside the cab.

A big thank you to @Jimmy07 for going out of his way to work with me on getting this last bit sorted out.

Stay tuned for the how-to this weekend. I’ve got a few more photos and miscellaneous part numbers I want to get, but if all goes as planned, I hope to get it up Saturday night.
Saturday noon would be better!! So I can install Saturday night... lol j/k

Looking forward to the read!

Tallus

Reaction score
It was one Jimmy07 sent me for testing. 56046957AA is one of two part numbers on it. Appears to fit a ton of models, and at $8 online, I don’t see what it doesn’t do that a $250 one would. Even the mounting tabs lined up. I just need to get the right pins to secure it or use some small bolts.
It was $12 at the dealer. I had to have it shipped in from Maryland to Indianapolis.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was $12 at the dealer. I had to have it shipped in from Maryland to Indianapolis.
Saturday noon would be better!! So I can install Saturday night... lol j/k

Looking forward to the read!

Still beats $250 if it works. Probably works out about even if you had to pay shipping online.
I'll see what I can do to get it posted sooner, I'm debating either just including the service manual instructions, or taking it apart again tonight to get the missing pictures that I feel would be more beneficial than what the manual shows.

ssick92

Reaction score
I’m now confident in saying that the system is working just as it would on a factory-equipped passive entry truck with the 5th antenna installed. All functions work to include the passive tailgate entry and fobik safe, which will only warn you and auto-unlock on its own if you leave the fob inside the cab.

A big thank you to @Jimmy07 for going out of his way to work with me on getting this last bit sorted out.

Stay tuned for the how-to this weekend. I’ve got a few more photos and miscellaneous part numbers I want to get, but if all goes as planned, I hope to get it up Saturday night.

Awesome! I've been following along on this and can't wait to see how it's done. This is my first vehicle with push button start, but it doesn't feel as useful when I still have to take the key out of my pocket every time to unlock the truck...

Thanks for your efforts on this!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! I've been following along on this and can't wait to see how it's done. This is my first vehicle with push button start, but it doesn't feel as useful when I still have to take the key out of my pocket every time to unlock the truck...

Thanks for your efforts on this!

I was in the same boat. It drove me nuts, especially after getting used to the Jeep which had it all.

Midwest Kid

Reaction score
Is the antenna you used equivalent to the 52112204AA antenna that was previously posted? I already ordered this one and got it today. lol

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the antenna you used equivalent to the 52112204AA antenna that was previously posted? I already ordered this one and got it today. lol

I believe they are interchangeable, they just use different part numbers for different years from what I have found online. The one I used actually shows up discontinued at some places.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the antenna too. Should get it tomorrow... probably not going to have time to install tomorrow, maybe next week...

ssick92

Reaction score
I have all the parts and will be installing on my 2020 as soon as I figure out how to take door panels off. Silly hidden screws.

What part #'s did you go with for the 2020? I am seeing that some of the part numbers being given in this thread say they are not compatible with 2020's, such as 52112204AA. Looks like it is 52112204AB for the 2020's, but is this for all the antennas or just the rear tailgate?

Tazithman

Reaction score
Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
6CV64GW7AD​
Exterior Door Handle, Right​
$80.39​
2​
$160.78​
6CV50GW7AC​
Door Handle Cap, Left​
$7.24​
1​
$7.24​
6CV52GW7AB​
Door Handle Cap, Right​
$7.55​
1​
$7.55​
68439512AA​
Front Door Wiring​
$86.25​
1​
$86.25​
68361306AD​
Front Door Wiring, Right​
$75.15​
1​
$75.15​

Rear antenna
52112204AA​
Passive Entry Antenna​
$8.89​
1​
$8.89
Figure I'd try the $8 before dropping $250 for the "2020" version. Its literally a piece of wire in a box with + and - leads, dont see how different it could be.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update... I should have the new thread up later tonight. I'm doing some proofreading and then just need to bring the laptop downstairs and hook up to the extra monitor so it's a little easier for me to drag and drop everything from the word doc. It may not all get up at once, but a full explanation on removing the door panels and walking through the changes in alfaobd will go up. I plan on adding everything for the rear antenna and making your own harnesses as well.

What part #'s did you go with for the 2020? I am seeing that some of the part numbers being given in this thread say they are not compatible with 2020's, such as 52112204AA. Looks like it is 52112204AB for the 2020's, but is this for all the antennas or just the rear tailgate?

The only antenna you need to add is for the tailgate, which goes inside the rear bumper. I used one that was listed for numerous vehicles, but nothing 2020, and it worked just fine. And it was the cheap one, not the one actually listed for that location.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
6CV64GW7AD​
$80.39​
2​
$160.78​
6CV50GW7AC​
Door Handle Cap, Left​
$7.24​
1​
$7.24​
6CV52GW7AB​
Door Handle Cap, Right​
$7.55​
1​
$7.55​
68439512AA​
Front Door Wiring​
$86.25​
1​
$86.25​
68361306AD​
$75.15​
1​
$75.15​

Rear antenna
52112204AA​
Passive Entry Antenna​
$8.89​
1​
$8.89​
Figure I'd try the $8 before dropping $250 for the "2020" version. Its literally a piece of wire in a box with + and - leads, dont see how different it could be.

The cheap one will work just fine. Are you planning on adding the factory rear fascia harness, or building your own with the connector and terminals?

ssick92

Reaction score
Just an update... I should have the new thread up later tonight. I'm doing some proofreading and then just need to bring the laptop downstairs and hook up to the extra monitor so it's a little easier for me to drag and drop everything from the word doc. It may not all get up at once, but a full explanation on removing the door panels and walking through the changes in alfaobd will go up. I plan on adding everything for the rear antenna and making your own harnesses as well.

The only antenna you need to add is for the tailgate, which goes inside the rear bumper. I used one that was listed for numerous vehicles, but nothing 2020, and it worked just fine. And it was the cheap one, not the one actually listed for that location.

Wow, that's interesting, I figured I would have to add an antenna on each door as well. So if that's the case it looks like our non-PE trucks were built for it all along (minus some wiring), but they just chose not to include PE to make us upgrade to a more expensive truck. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

Looking forward to your write up!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that's interesting, I figured I would have to add an antenna on each door as well. So if that's the case it looks like our non-PE trucks were built for it all along (minus some wiring), but they just chose not to include PE to make us upgrade to a more expensive truck. I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

Looking forward to your write up!
It’s not that the non-PE trucks were built for it all along. The door antennas are there because of the keyless go feature. They are a necessary part of that system for fobik safe to work so the fob can’t be locked (easily) in the truck.

ssick92

Reaction score
It’s not that the non-PE trucks were built for it all along. The door antennas are there because of the keyless go feature. They are a necessary part of that system for fobik safe to work so the fob can’t be locked (easily) in the truck.

I apologize for the probably stupid question but I'm pretty new to the Ram ecosystem after having an F150 for the last 5 years... But what is "fobik safe"? A quick google search comes up saying it is a system for passive entry vehicles to prevent unauthorized entry/startup, but if that's the case why would our trucks without passive entry have the infrastructure for it?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize for the probably stupid question but I'm pretty new to the Ram ecosystem after having an F150 for the last 5 years... But what is "fobik safe"? A quick google search comes up saying it is a system for passive entry vehicles to prevent unauthorized entry/startup, but if that's the case why would our trucks without passive entry have the infrastructure for it?
Because push button start is a feature where the driver could set the fob down in the vehicle while driving and forget it when leaving the vehicle and locking the doors from the inside switch. There is no physical key to remove from the ignition to remind them that they don’t have the fob with them, so they implement fobik safe to make it harder to lock the fob in the vehicle.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It’s a system that is designed to prevent you from locking the fob in the truck. If you exit the vehicle and attempt to lock it from a means other than the fob, the system checks the cab using the antennas to ensure you didn’t leave it inside. If it senses it inside. It will alert you via 3 horn chirps and unlock the truck. As Jimmy07 mentioned, it’s a part of the keyless go which uses the same antennas.

When adding passive entry, the lack of the 5th antenna sends fobik safe into a failsafe mode since it is looking for a response from 5 antennas now instead of just the 4. Once you add the last antenna, it all works as intended.

ssick92

Reaction score
It’s a system that is designed to prevent you from locking the fob in the truck. If you exit the vehicle and attempt to lock it from a means other than the fob, the system checks the cab using the antennas to ensure you didn’t leave it inside. If it senses it inside. It will alert you via 3 horn chirps and unlock the truck. As Jimmy07 mentioned, it’s a part of the keyless go which uses the same antennas.

When adding passive entry, the lack of the 5th antenna sends fobik safe into a failsafe mode since it is looking for a response from 5 antennas now instead of just the 4. Once you add the last antenna, it all works as intended.

Makes perfect sense, thanks both of you!

ssick92

Reaction score
Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
6CV64GW7AD​
$80.39​
2​
$160.78​
6CV50GW7AC​
Door Handle Cap, Left​
$7.24​
1​
$7.24​
6CV52GW7AB​
Door Handle Cap, Right​
$7.55​
1​
$7.55​
68439512AA​
Front Door Wiring​
$86.25​
1​
$86.25​
68361306AD​
$75.15​
1​
$75.15​

Rear antenna
52112204AA​
Passive Entry Antenna​
$8.89​
1​
$8.89​

Thanks for this list, I was able to find everything for my Granite Metallic by using your list as a baseline. The only thing I am still not totally clear on is the Right Door Handle Cap. When I find the correct part number for my Granite Metallic truck, it states that the part number for the right handle cap was superseded by the exact same part number as the left handle cap, and therefore is telling me to order the same part for both sides. The passenger side doesn't have a key cylinder in it, so I doubt it can be the same part, but I'm wondering if I can just use my current factory passenger side cap with the updated handle?

Did you run into this same issue?

Users who are viewing this thread