5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
well this thread hes evolved into a 50 page monster, with a lot of info!! Been thru most pages, but still want to make sure I have things correct….. just so much!!..
I have a 2021 olive green Laramie WITH passive entry on the front doors….In order to add passive entry to the rear doors as well, I would need to order: 2 passenger front door handles with 2 passenger door caps, part numbers in post #7… chrome and green for me.. order a couple of pre made harnesses from Jim. And follow the directions in this tread, what involves tying into some wires in the front door sill… this all sounds about right?? just want to make sure I am not missing something…. Most of this thread is about adding PE if you do not have it at all,just want to make sure it is as easy as adding some parts to get it to work on the rear as well if you already have it on the front..
Pete
There’s a rear antenna, part number also in post 7, and the need to use AlfaOBD to enable the feature (Jscan also works if you are strictly an iPhone user).

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well this thread hes evolved into a 50 page monster, with a lot of info!! Been thru most pages, but still want to make sure I have things correct….. just so much!!..
I have a 2021 olive green Laramie WITH passive entry on the front doors….In order to add passive entry to the rear doors as well, I would need to order: 2 passenger front door handles with 2 passenger door caps, part numbers in post #7… chrome and green for me.. order a couple of pre made harnesses from Jim. And follow the directions in this tread, what involves tying into some wires in the front door sill… this all sounds about right?? just want to make sure I am not missing something…. Most of this thread is about adding PE if you do not have it at all,just want to make sure it is as easy as adding some parts to get it to work on the rear as well if you already have it on the front..
Pete
Sounds like you have it down. If you already have the passive entry system on your truck, you should only need the parts you mentioned in your post to add it to the rear doors.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any specific questions. @Jimmy07 was a huge help with guiding me when I added it to my rear doors. Once he helped me identify the wires needed, it was really a simple modification to make.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
There’s a rear antenna, part number also in post 7, and the need to use AlfaOBD to enable the feature (Jscan also works if you are strictly an iPhone user).
I seem to think that the rear antenna was only needed if you did NOT have PE… ?I already have PE on the front doors /tailgate from the factory… I can open the tail gate with the key in my pocket without having to unlock anything, so I presume I have the rear antenna..I just want to add it to the rear doors as well..
feel free to correct me if I am wrong.. I will send you a PM for some harnesses….
Pete

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Sounds like you have it down. If you already have the passive entry system on your truck, you should only need the parts you mentioned in your post to add it to the rear doors.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any specific questions. @Jimmy07 was a huge help with guiding me when I added it to my rear doors. Once he helped me identify the wires needed, it was really a simple modification to make.
I seem to have read a couple of post that went into where/what color on the wiring … thanks for responding…. I thought, that if you already had PE from the factory , it was indeed pretty simple to add just the rear doors….Front doors/tailgate PE work as expected from from the factory..
Pete

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I seem to have read a couple of post that went into where/what color on the wiring … thanks for responding…. I thought, that if you already had PE from the factory , it was indeed pretty simple to add just the rear doors….Front doors/tailgate PE work as expected from from the factory..
Pete
No problem, and your thinking is correct. Door handles, caps, and wiring harnesses from Jimmy07. Connect and pin in the harnesses at the rear, then tap into the designated wires in the sills by the front seats. Just be cautious when routing all of the wiring so you don’t catch or pinch anything.

I’ve been contemplating creating a separate passive entry thread just to discuss the rear door add on, but it seems like it isn’t a topic that comes up too frequently on here so I’ve held off.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
So Moparpartsgiant cancelled my order for 6cv361fpad and 6cv52kfpab door handles and caps due to “ parts NLA or not in stock with no ETA” I will swing by the dealer tomorrow and see what they say… anybody have any thoughts on my options? Think this is a strike/no one working in the warehouse issue or something else!.. be silly for no parts available for a 3 year old truck…. Should I Try one of the other part numbers and get them painted? I did order my harness from Jimmy, so at least that is on the way..

Last edited:

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
To add to my own post, looks like the problem might be the Olive Green caps, Mopars official site shows the handles in stock… does anyone know if the little magnets, in the caps that make the whole thing work, are swappable ?… IE, if I would order whatever color cap is available, can I take the little magnet out of that and install that in my current, green, non PE caps and make it work? Another option obviously would be to get them painted, but that be such a little job, be hard to find someone to do that….
Thanks
Pete

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To add to my own post, looks like the problem might be the Olive Green caps, Mopars official site shows the handles in stock… does anyone know if the little magnets, in the caps that make the whole thing work, are swappable ?… IE, if I would order whatever color cap is available, can I take the little magnet out of that and install that in my current, green, non PE caps and make it work? Another option obviously would be to get them painted, but that be such a little job, be hard to find someone to do that….
Thanks
Pete
Yes, you can take the magnets out and put them in the other ones. Someone confirmed that in a previous post.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Yes, you can take the magnets out and put them in the other ones. Someone confirmed that in a previous post.
I thought I read that as well somewhere, but could not find it again, so was not sure… anyway, placed an order again, see what shows up… if nothing else, caps were cheap..
Pete

Boatman22

Reaction score
Anybody in the Houston Area that can do the passive entry upgrade? I'll buy all the parts needed and pay for labor. 2023 1500

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
Anybody in the Houston Area that can do the passive entry upgrade? I'll buy all the parts needed and pay for labor. 2023 1500

I am in Houston also wondering the same thing.... was there a total cost in parts? I wanted to add this to my rebel which has the plastic black door handles not painted.

wazslow

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the black door handles on a 2024 Big Horn with night edition are "Diamond Black Crystal"? Just want to make sure I am buying the correct color.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
any chance anybody needs just the harness for the rear antenna? I bought all 3 from Jimmy07, but then also decided to add the parking sensors so I bought a whole new rear bumper harness that has the plugs for the sensors and the passive entry antenna.

Soso

Reaction score
I see those hesitant to try the install; I just completed the install on my 2023 Quad Cab Bighorn 1500 Night Edition and the install is a lot easier than it sounds. The process could take as little as a couple hours per door taking your time. It took me three hours per door because of a couple issues along the way. I thought I'd add my "and another thing" things to help others further simplify the process.

Before you even start, measure your new wire harness before you tear things apart! The harness I purchased was 69" and was 6" too short for my 2023 1500 Quad Cab Bighorn. To follow the OEM harness in my particular truck it had to be 75". I spent an extra hour per door to cut, patch in, splice four 6' wires so that the connector could stick out the door handle 1". My truck was in no mood to travel with the doors disassembled so I had to rummage around for splicing parts that I luckily had. Be prepared.

The hardest part of the entire project was disconnecting the rubber harness from the door to the body. It was brutal. In my case there were 3 tabs that needed to be pushed in NOT the typical top and bottom like you see in all the instructions. One on the top and 2 on the bottom. If you notice in any videos you watch everyone conveniently fast forwards this part! A good tip would be to gently pull back the rubber boot from the inner white clip ring with a pair of needle nose pliers totally exposing the white ring and getting the rubber boot out of the way. Doing this will allow you to actually see the clips so your not poking around blindly especially if you have the 2 lower clips like i did. For reinstallation, make sure to reassemble the entire assembly (with all the boot little rubber alignment tabs properly seated in the white ring) before connecting to the white and brown plugs from the truck side. Oh and another thing; the white oval connector piece is directional, it connects to the black plastic wire harness in only one direction. Mine spun during the wire running process so I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole for about ten minutes, yeeah stupid! Make sure to put it back into the rubber boot in the right direction. Totally reassembled the rubber harness is big and won't fit back in the body hole unless you close the door a little. Closing the door a little actually gives you more room so your not fighting the angle of reinsertion as much, the rubber of the boot likes to grip the door limiting its ability to slide easily. Recounting, I'm realizing I have a little PTSD from this!

Other quick points not in any order:
The 2 body side connector plugs, (the white and brown plugs) the white one is 'C' the brown one is 'D' - the orientation of the plugs in the instruction pictures show the brown clip before the white clip which leads those with OCD to second guess. Just throwin' that out there.

When detaching the inside door handle cable from the liner; be careful the plastic is soft an you do not want to break one of the two tabs. If I had to do it again I'd line my needle nose with a piece of electrical tape to limit marring.

OP instructions say to "loosen" the two bolts holding the window but for me I fought with lifting the window until I removed them.

When putting the door liner back on, make sure the lock knob assembly fits back into its white plastic holder attached to the liner. If you go pounding on the liner to reattach the clips and that thing isn't sitting in its holder your gonna have a problem. I found reattaching the liner from the top down to be the easiest.

Pay attention to the instuctions on removing the cover plate under the door latch. The extra Fort Knox style clip makes removing this little thing so unnecessarily difficult you could easily break the plate if your not careful.

Make sure your two new wires follow and are secured to the OEM harness wires to safely pass pinch points along the path across your door.

When installing the new door handle I found the bolts attaching the carrier plate to the door in the area of the handle inside the truck need to be tightened or the handle wouldn't slide into place easily. Also, the T25 bolt behind the handle cannot be too tight. I had to back off on it a bit then the handle slid forward. Not too loose or the underlying plastic will get dragged forward during sliding. I fought with the handle reinstallation a bit till the above combo worked for me.

Rear antennae install couldn't be easier, no need to drop the tire. I didn't bother with anything other than zip ties, it's in the holder tightly. (Purchased cable was plenty long enough, *sigh*)

No wait time for programming to kick in, the option showed up in Uconnect and the doors locked and unlocked within seconds.

Excellent job and many thanks to all those providing the "how to" to get what would have cost Ram no more than 10 bucks extra functioning on our trucks.

Last edited:

aeriosv

Reaction score
I think I purchased the wrong security gateway bypass. All pictures I see here are different. Has anyone used this one?

20231214_030705618_iOS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread