5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Before I click buy on a bunch of stuff for this and another mod...

Wanted to hopefully get confirmation that's it's not possible to get handles, or other parts, unpainted (not textured nor chrome, just primed)? I haven't come across this option during my search. Is this something a dealer could do? You would think this would be possible vs. keeping inventory of the various colors.

If not, the body shop said it would be easiest for them to color match parts close to what I have. And surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly) I've found that colors no longer available (like Olive Green, Walnut Brown) are cheaper than ones painted colors that are still offered.
No primed or unpainted handles.

rjeffers51

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg
Are you still selling these?

Jereme2179

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg
How much for the harnessss?

ankrist

Reaction score
I lost track of which side the brown/white pin holders go on while I was taking it apart (and stupidly failed to take a picture). Can anyone tell me on an HD Truck drivers side door harness, does the brown clip go on the 5D or 4C side of the connector?

Edit: there are no big pins on the female brown connector in the door so I figured it out that way. Thanks everything is working great, now for the back doors!

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
I lost track of which side the brown/white pin holders go on while I was taking it apart (and stupidly failed to take a picture). Can anyone tell me on an HD Truck drivers side door harness, does the brown clip go on the 5D or 4C side of the connector?
I'm not sure, but did you read through the posts in the beginning? They have all the info on wiring. Post 9 and 10 are for HD trucks.

ankrist

Reaction score
Did this about a week ago and its been working great ( or so I thought ) hooked my trailer up yesterday and the truck no longer detects that its hooked up. all the trailer lights work but the trailer brakes do not. Did I just knock something loose or is this possibly a programming issue? Trying to figure out how to test the 7 blade with a multimeter now.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Did this about a week ago and its been working great ( or so I thought ) hooked my trailer up yesterday and the truck no longer detects that its hooked up. all the trailer lights work but the trailer brakes do not. Did I just knock something loose or is this possibly a programming issue? Trying to figure out how to test the 7 blade with a multimeter now.
What's this have to do with passive entry? I think you are in the wrong thread?

vincentw56

Reaction score
because it worked properly before I installed passive entry.
You didn't mention anything about passive entry. And the 2 have nothing to do with each other. If the trailer isn't working, you must have messed with something in the back when installing the rear RF hub. I'd suggest going back under the rear and see what is messed up. But adding passive entry won't mess up the trailer harness unless you did while under the rear.

ankrist

Reaction score
You didn't mention anything about passive entry. And the 2 have nothing to do with each other. If the trailer isn't working, you must have messed with something in the back when installing the rear RF hub. I'd suggest going back under the rear and see what is messed up. But adding passive entry won't mess up the trailer harness unless you did while under the rear.
I did mention it, if you re-read what I wrote. No need to be so agro over a simple question...

For anyone else having similar issues on an HD truck, I think it was a bad rear sensor 52112204AA, I replaced it with the 56046957AA since the mount points fit and everything is working properly now. Its also possible that is a coincidence and there is a loose connection that got secured while I was under there. However I dont think that is the case because I was able to test the brake pin with a meter and it was reading 12v dc with the trailer brake controller test tabs zip tied together before the replacement.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
I did mention it, if you re-read what I wrote. No need to be so agro over a simple question...

For anyone else having similar issues on an HD truck, I think it was a bad rear sensor 52112204AA, I replaced it with the 56046957AA since the mount points fit and everything is working properly now. Its also possible that is a coincidence and there is a loose connection that got secured while I was under there.
Agro? Where did I go agro? You didn't mention it. You mention hooking up a trailer and it not working. Anyway, after you confirmed that you thought it had something to go with adding passive entry, I answered your question giving you advice. You are welcome. And good to know it had nothing to do with passive entry.

ankrist

Reaction score
Agro? Where did I go agro? You didn't mention it. You mention hooking up a trailer and it not working. Anyway, after you confirmed that you thought it had something to go with adding passive entry, I answered your question giving you advice. You are welcome. And good to know it had nothing to do with passive entry.

The very first line in my post "Did this about a week ago and its been working great ( or so I thought )" THIS meaning passive entry since we are in a PE thread. And it DID have to do with the passive entry antenna.... I am not going to argue with you anymore man. You obviously have more time than I do to spend here. Thanks for your "help"...

I hope this info helps anyone else experiencing the same issue.

Last edited:

mahnkal

Reaction score
This may have been answered already, but I cannot find it. How many of each door clip should I order? how many are there total on BOTH doors?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may have been answered already, but I cannot find it. How many of each door clip should I order? how many are there total on BOTH doors?
I don't remember total counts for the clips, but I can tell you that you shouldn't need more than a couple (if any at all). I added passive entry to all four of my doors and didn't break a single one on any of them. I'm usually the guy that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong lol. To my surprise, these clips weren't much of a headache at all. If you want to order some as a "just in case" type thing, I get it. But you really wouldn't need more than a few spares in my opinion.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
well this thread hes evolved into a 50 page monster, with a lot of info!! Been thru most pages, but still want to make sure I have things correct….. just so much!!..
I have a 2021 olive green Laramie WITH passive entry on the front doors….In order to add passive entry to the rear doors as well, I would need to order: 2 passenger front door handles with 2 passenger door caps, part numbers in post #7… chrome and green for me.. order a couple of pre made harnesses from Jim. And follow the directions in this tread, what involves tying into some wires in the front door sill… this all sounds about right?? just want to make sure I am not missing something…. Most of this thread is about adding PE if you do not have it at all,just want to make sure it is as easy as adding some parts to get it to work on the rear as well if you already have it on the front..
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread