5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

jmr33

Reaction score
Configuring the BCM for passive entry with AlfaOBD.

Grab your SGW bypass and locate the Security Gateway. If you are unfamiliar with its location, it is located up inside the driver’s side footwell, behind where the headlight/parking brake switches are. The below pic shows the module, looking directly up from the floor. It's the black box with 2 connections on it, located right by the green and white star connectors.

*From what I have read, the bypass on the HD's is located behind the instrument panel and is a little more involved to access. Once I can confirm this and possibly get a photo of its location I will update this.

View attachment 62800

Release the connectors from the gateway and plug them into your bypass. That’s all there is to it.

Next, plug your OBD interface into the OBD port, which is located on the bottom edge of panel under the steering column. You should have no issues locating it, as it’s the only exposed connector in that area and will match up with your interface. If you haven’t done so already, set up your OBD interface with your tablet or computer via a Bluetooth or wireless connection.

With your foot off the brake pedal, press the Start/Stop button on the truck 2 times to place the ignition in to “Run”. Do not start the truck, just cycle the ignition to the “Run” position.

Once that is done, we are ready to make the changes in AlfaOBD. I opted not to include photos here since if you follow the steps one at a time you should have no issues. I do have screenshots, so if you need a visual to go along, I can get them added in.

Open up the app on your device and you should see the home screen.

To begin, click on the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi icon and connect to your OBD interface.

Once connected, select the Dodge/Ram icon.

On the first drop down menu choose your vehicle model.

On the 2nd drop down select “Body Computer”.

On the 3rd drop down you will need to select the appropriate BCM for your vehicle. For my 2020 I chose the very last one in the list.

The app should advance to a new screen where you can connect to the body computer. Once connected, it’s time to get in to making the changes needed.

Select the little icon in the bottom right that looks like a car with the hood open.

Select the drop down menu and go all the way to the bottom and select “Car configuration change”.

You should now have 2 additional drop downs below the top one. The top one will still say Car configuration change, and we aren’t going to mess with that one anymore. The next one down, the middle one, is where you are going to begin selecting the items to change.

Take your time and be sure you select the correct one each time as you proceed. To keep things simple, just start at the top and go down the list below, enabling and/or verifying each item as you go.

After selecting a setting to change in the middle drop-down, you will then select the command using the bottom menu. Reference the list below and make your selection based off the setting in bold.

After selecting the command in the bottom menu, hit “start”. The app will first verify the vehicle setting and give you a message indicating its current set state. If its current state is not set to what it shows in bold in the list below, press “start” again and this will make the change. You should get some text at the bottom saying the procedure was completed, however it did not always come up for me. If it doesn’t say it was completed, just hit start again and it will check the current status and tell you what it is. If it’s correct, move on to the next one.

The following list is all the settings you need to change or verify to enable Passive Entry. Each setting name is given, followed by the state it needs to be set to in bold. I made all the changes sequentially without cycling the ignition at all in between and everything worked just fine. Take your time as the full list in the app is long and you can easily scroll past a setting, especially the wireless ones as there are only a few. (The newer version of AlfaOBD allows you to search for a specific setting, so you can begin typing in the search bar and it will start narrowing down the list if you don't want to scroll through everything. Just make sure you keep track of the ones you change as you move down the list)

PASSIVE ENTRY BCM SETTINGS

VehConfig 3 fobik safe enable- YES

VehConfig 3 passive entry present- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert no reply- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on system fault- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert on search timeout- YES

LIN and Misc fobik safe alert per ignition cycle counter- 2

Wireless AP1 Left front- SMART SWITCH

Wireless AP2 Right front- SMART SWITCH

CustSetMenu 1 passive entry CSM present- YES

Cust.Prog.Features- Passive Entry Unlock All Doors or Approach Door- ENABLED

IMPORTANT NOTE:
With the configuration set as above, if you do not have all the hardware installed (such as the 5th antenna) fobiksafe will not operate as designed and there will be fault codes stored in the rfhub. If you utilize the inside lock button to lock the doors as you exit, whether or not the fob is inside, you will get an alert from fobiksafe and the locks will auto-unlock after closing. There is the small chance you could lock your fob in the truck if you ignore the warning since it doesn't actually know whether the fob is inside or not, and on the 3rd attempt the doors will remain locked. Once everything required for PE is installed, the whole system will function as intended from the factory…alerting you only if it senses a fob left inside the truck so you do not lock yourself out.

Once all the settings have been made you can cycle the ignition back to off. You can also remove the SGW bypass and OBD interface now.

Go ahead and disconnect the battery and let it sit for a bit. Anywhere from 15-30 min should be sufficient. The intent is to ensure the RF Hub re-reads and picks up on the new BCM configuration the next ignition cycle. (Although this may not be totally necessary, it isn't going to hurt anything)

This was initially completed on my '20 Bighorn which had the 8.4 non-nav unit. If you have nav, it may take a bit longer to show up in Uconnect, so don’t freak out if it isn't there right away. Give it a few ignition cycles and everything should show up. The actual passive entry will likely function even before the setting shows up in the menu. You will be able to find the passive entry option in settings, under “doors and locks" on your screen.

If you plan on adding the antenna and wiring to the rear of the truck, refer to the post that pertains to your specific model year.
Greetings. I’m a new Ram owner and I’m really interested in doin this project. There are a few terms I’m unfamiliar with (and the associated devices) and I was hoping you would be willing to assist. I’ve read about OBD and bypass repeatedly, and I’ve done some research on it. But I am really unsure which device or devices to purchase. I need to help narrowing down which one, and a brief explanation of, both the OBD and bypass if you would be willing. I’ve watched both the video on YouTube and have read through your post and I have to say that both of these were really done well and thoroughly. I feel comfortable with basically the wiring portion, but the reprogramming to me is a little intimidating.
Also, there was mention in the video of a significantly cheaper option for the tailgate antenna. Do you have any idea where to find this? I appreciate any assistance that you can and will provide.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings. I’m a new Ram owner and I’m really interested in doin this project. There are a few terms I’m unfamiliar with (and the associated devices) and I was hoping you would be willing to assist. I’ve read about OBD and bypass repeatedly, and I’ve done some research on it. But I am really unsure which device or devices to purchase. I need to help narrowing down which one, and a brief explanation of, both the OBD and bypass if you would be willing. I’ve watched both the video on YouTube and have read through your post and I have to say that both of these were really done well and thoroughly. I feel comfortable with basically the wiring portion, but the reprogramming to me is a little intimidating.
Also, there was mention in the video of a significantly cheaper option for the tailgate antenna. Do you have any idea where to find this? I appreciate any assistance that you can and will provide.

1) AlfaOBD- this can be confusing when first starting out because there are various ways to connect to AlfaOBD, make the necessary changes, and reach the finish line. While there are several options out there, I’ll share what I purchased. Pros to what I used is that this is a very budget friendly option. It will get the job done for this project just as any other option will. Cons are that the BAFX OBD reader is limited in that it can only connect to certain modules. You’d be fine for most projects including passive entry, but in some cases you may find that this will not communicate with certain components such as the radio module. A more expensive option that people go with is the OBD Link MX+ so that is another option if you don’t want the cheaper BAFX I have linked down below. Just keep in mind, the AlfaOBD app is not available on iOS at this time, so you’ll need an android/windows device to utilize the software.

Security Bypass Cables: https://www.amazon.com/TTXSPP-Adaptor-Chrysler-Programming-Connector/dp/B08ZL4LRVK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3PH6TY5HZMFX3&keywords=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8&qid=1643118764&s=automotive&sprefix=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8,automotive,225&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRTVPQThCTFlaODBPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk0ODY3MURNSUdNWTRMWFlGNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODM3MzQ3MjlYV0dQMkJLTUdWTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

OBD Module:

The BAFX Module will plug in directly to one end of the security bypass cables I linked above, the other end of the cables will plug into the security gateway under the dash on the vehicle. Using a phone/tablet/PC, you will then be able to connect to the vehicle using the AlfaOBD app and make the necessary vehicle configuration changes. Send me a private message if you’d like and I can send you a link of a YouTube video of a guy using this exact setup to make a couple changes on his Ram just so you can get an understanding of how it works.

2) the cheaper tailgate antenna part# is 52112204AA. This can be found at any Mopar parts vendor. If you google the part number, you’ll find plenty of options on where to source one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jmr33

Reaction score
1) AlfaOBD- this can be confusing when first starting out because there are various ways to connect to AlfaOBD, make the necessary changes, and reach the finish line. While there are several options out there, I’ll share what I purchased. Pros to what I used is that this is a very budget friendly option. It will get the job done for this project just as any other option will. Cons are that the BAFX OBD reader is limited in that it can only connect to certain modules. You’d be fine for most projects including passive entry, but in some cases you may find that this will not communicate with certain components such as the radio module. A more expensive option that people go with is the OBD Link MX+ so that is another option if you don’t want the cheaper BAFX I have linked down below. Just keep in mind, the AlfaOBD app is not available on iOS at this time, so you’ll need an android/windows device to utilize the software.

Security Bypass Cables: https://www.amazon.com/TTXSPP-Adaptor-Chrysler-Programming-Connector/dp/B08ZL4LRVK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3PH6TY5HZMFX3&keywords=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8&qid=1643118764&s=automotive&sprefix=ttxspp+cable+adaptor+for+chrysler+12+++8,automotive,225&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRTVPQThCTFlaODBPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjk0ODY3MURNSUdNWTRMWFlGNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODM3MzQ3MjlYV0dQMkJLTUdWTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

OBD Module:

The BAFX Module will plug in directly to one end of the security bypass cables I linked above, the other end of the cables will plug into the security gateway under the dash on the vehicle. Using a phone/tablet/PC, you will then be able to connect to the vehicle using the AlfaOBD app and make the necessary vehicle configuration changes. Send me a private message if you’d like and I can send you a link of a YouTube video of a guy using this exact setup to make a couple changes on his Ram just so you can get an understanding of how it works.

2) the cheaper tailgate antenna part# is 52112204AA. This can be found at any Mopar parts vendor. If you google the part number, you’ll find plenty of options on where to source one.

Hope this helps.
Great information and thank you very much. This does help explain quite a bit to me and I appreciate your links as well.

Wikielliot

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg
How can I get those from you and what would be the cost?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I now have sets of harnesses for the rear doors for anyone interested in making those passive entry. They are as plug n play as possible, aside from having to tap the wires for the front door handles (tapped under the front door sill trim).
Here’s a video of someone installing them:

2B7D8C94-DA7E-46F5-BE23-32F8D58A2C78.jpeg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I now have sets of harnesses for the rear doors for anyone interested in making those passive entry. They are as plug n play as possible, aside from having to tap the wires for the front door handles (tapped under the front door sill trim).
Here’s a video of someone installing them:

View attachment 136151
Great work as usual! Appreciate the video link! This doesn't look like too bad of a job to do. I may end up grabbing a set of these harnesses from you eventually. I never realized how frequently I open one of the rear doors before opening the front. I typically leave my keys in my work bag so I've gotten in the habit of grabbing the front handle first to unlock the truck, and then I open the rear door to load my belongings. Very minor setback, but I could definitely see the convenience here. I also think it would be cool just to have because it isn't a factory option currently offered on our trucks lol.

viper2310

Reaction score
Been reading most of this thread so far but will definitely be finishing all the pages of info.. I am looking to do this with my 2021 ram 2500 Cummins HD 4x4.
However just looking for a little help verifying parts needed for my Application. I have the Tradesman model in RV Walnut Brown Pearl coat.
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Left. "Front"
PART NUMBER: 1UJ81RUWAI
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Right. "Front"
PART NUMBER: 1UJ86RUWAI
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Right. "Rear"
PART NUMBER: 1GH18RUWAF
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Left. "Rear"
PART NUMBER: 1GH19RUWAF
ANTENNA. Passive Entry.
PART NUMBER: 56046957AA
Is this all the Antenna's needed ?

And just incase need to replace a clip or 2
PIN. Push. M11X30.2.
PART NUMBER: 06510359AA
PIN. Door Panel Attaching, Push. M11X30.2. Left, Right.
PART NUMBER: 06510747AA

Also Jimmy07 Can you get in touch with me on making harnesses? Thank you.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading most of this thread so far but will definitely be finishing all the pages of info.. I am looking to do this with my 2021 ram 2500 Cummins HD 4x4.
However just looking for a little help verifying parts needed for my Application. I have the Tradesman model in RV Walnut Brown Pearl coat.
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Left. "Front"
PART NUMBER: 1UJ81RUWAI
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Right. "Front"
PART NUMBER: 1UJ86RUWAI
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Right. "Rear"
PART NUMBER: 1GH18RUWAF
HANDLE. Exterior Door. Left. "Rear"
PART NUMBER: 1GH19RUWAF
ANTENNA. Passive Entry.
PART NUMBER: 56046957AA
Is this all the Antenna's needed ?

And just incase need to replace a clip or 2
PIN. Push. M11X30.2.
PART NUMBER: 06510359AA
PIN. Door Panel Attaching, Push. M11X30.2. Left, Right.
PART NUMBER: 06510747AA

Also Jimmy07 Can you get in touch with me on making harnesses? Thank you.
Pm sent

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Did my passive entry tonight. Took about 2 1/2 hrs total for both front doors and rear antenna. Everything went smoothly and works well. Big shout out to jimmy for the harnesses, well made, labeled, and spot on for length. Also for everyone’s input on these pages. All the info made this a fairly easy project.

C4o3d2y1

Reaction score
Amazing work! Thanks to all of you who helped figure this out, as I'm sure there are tons of us who will be attempting this mod in the near future! Got the parts ordered, only time will tell if I am able to make it work.

Figured I might as well copy over my part list that I ordered for my 2020 Granite Crystal Metallic from the other thread, although can't quite confirm they are all correct since they haven't been delivered yet. Don't blame me if they are wrong!

Part NumberDescriptionQty
52112204AAPassive Entry Antenna1
6CV64LAUADExterior Door Handle, Right (Body Color)2
6CV50LAUACDoor Handle Cap, Left1
6CV52LAUABDoor Handle Cap, Right1
Where did you order your parts from?

C4o3d2y1

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but what does the plug end of the new PE wire harness connect to ? I didn’t see it in this thread. I guess it’s simple enough to see once you have everything apart but I want to be sure I know what it plugs to before I get into it.

nickelwork87

Reaction score
Anyone have the correct part numbers for the door hand that are paint code prv with out the chrome trim on them. Mt truck has the sport appearance package and I don't want the chrome on there. Thank yall so much.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Not sure what color that is, but on the 1st page of this thread someone put together the complete list of all the handles and caps with colors and part numbers

stormcom

Reaction score
Is it possible to get this in a pdf or download file? I want to save it for when I can get the parts rounded up? I have a 2019 BH level 2.

Jaaf

Reaction score
Anybody with a HD doing this, I’ve got jimmy’s harness with bumper antenna.. decided not to do it so letting it go.

Users who are viewing this thread