5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Daverous

Reaction score
Pop loose the red cover and they just snap right in. Make sure the notch faces the appropriate direction. Only one way for them to actually slid in and stay.

Side note... Still no backup camera soft key on mine. I'm at a loss here. Ran my bcm settings pre and post install to make sure I didn't click anything dumb when I was fooling around. No dice. @Jimmy07 hate to call ya out again here, but thoughts? My backup functions fine when in reverse, and I can select it from the cargo came app, just dont have a dedicated app/key for it now? I seem to always hit weird bugs.

Really don't want to swing by the dealer again. I'd have to uninstall a few items haha.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pop loose the red cover and they just snap right in. Make sure the notch faces the appropriate direction. Only one way for them to actually slid in and stay.

Side note... Still no backup camera soft key on mine. I'm at a loss here. Ran my bcm settings pre and post install to make sure I didn't click anything dumb when I was fooling around. No dice. @Jimmy07 hate to call ya out again here, but thoughts? My backup functions fine when in reverse, and I can select it from the cargo came app, just dont have a dedicated app/key for it now? I seem to always hit weird bugs.

Really don't want to swing by the dealer again. I'd have to uninstall a few items haha.
Check the setting Radio & Connectivity: Trailer Hitch Camera, and make sure it is set to yes.

Daverous

Reaction score
I feel like a derp. Set to no on my saved file. I'll go flip it and see if it takes. You're fantastic as always man.

*Edit* Yep, that was it. Was messing with surround view settings and flipped it apprantly. Thanks again sir!

Last edited:

Ramfam

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just purchase the universal 6 gang switch and I was wondering where ya'll tapped off the ACC wire. I wanted to try to tap it off in the engine bay fuse box but can't seem to figure out where I need to put it. I have read that I might need to get that sucker to the fuse box under the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

bskubon

Reaction score
I used a micro2 fuse tap off of the F60 fuse under the hood fuse box, only issue is the wire coming out of the fuse box doesn’t have a clean exit so the fuse box cover doesn’t seat fully, suppose you could cut a slit in the cover but I didn’t want to do that

Ramfam

Reaction score
I used a micro2 fuse tap off of the F60 fuse under the hood fuse box, only issue is the wire coming out of the fuse box doesn’t have a clean exit so the fuse box cover doesn’t seat fully, suppose you could cut a slit in the cover but I didn’t want to do that
Thank you. I will try that

jomorr

Reaction score
Once connected to the body computer, go into car configuration change and change VehicleConfig 1: CHMSL camera to yes, and that’s it.
I'm working on setting this up on my 2020 2500 Laramie with the no-nav Uconnect. Using the OBDLink MX+ and AlphaOBD, I can see this setting but when I try to change it, I get the below message saying it was complete but status is unknown. When I look at the CHMSL Camera value, it still says 'No'. Do I actually have to have the camera connected to the pins for this to enable?

Screenshot_20210606-143309_AlfaOBD.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on setting this up on my 2020 2500 Laramie with the no-nav Uconnect. Using the OBDLink MX+ and AlphaOBD, I can see this setting but when I try to change it, I get the below message saying it was complete but status is unknown. When I look at the CHMSL Camera value, it still says 'No'. Do I actually have to have the camera connected to the pins for this to enable?

View attachment 95855
No. Reconnect and do it again. Select yes, then start, then next, then wait for procedure complete. Then press start again and it should now say current status is yes.

jomorr

Reaction score
No. Reconnect and do it again. Select yes, then start, then next, then wait for procedure complete. Then press start again and it should now say current status is yes.
Thanks - I got it figured out. I needed a security bypass. Once I did that the status successfully went to Yes.

Daniel gv

Reaction score
I'm about change the stereo and this one has 4 video inputs. I'm hoping be able to put a switch to use it only when needed...
The problem now is that I find out the new stereo don't have a traction control button. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 20210618_234620.jpg
    20210618_234620.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210618_234610.jpg
    20210618_234610.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 167

jomorr

Reaction score
I was finally able to pull the radio unit to connect up the camera wires. However, pins 21 - 26 are taken. Do I need to remove the existing wires to connect the camera wires, or is it possible I need to use a different set?
20210702_161520.jpg

I have a 2020 HD Laramie with the 8.4 non Nav.

Jon

Evank33

Reaction score
I was finally able to pull the radio unit to connect up the camera wires. However, pins 21 - 26 are taken. Do I need to remove the existing wires to connect the camera wires, or is it possible I need to use a different set?
View attachment 98632

Jon
Do you have a cargo cam already?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 98632

Jon
Since you have an HD, those are the aux 1&2 trailer camera inputs at 21-26. Just pull them out.

Georgf

Reaction score
Sure anybody already asked it, but can’t find, is it possible to add surround view system with 8.4 non nav screen? What parts i need besides 3 more cameras?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure anybody already asked it, but can’t find, is it possible to add surround view system with 8.4 non nav screen? What parts i need besides 3 more cameras?
I’d imagine it would work on the 8.4 non nav. It definitely works on a 5” radio- E5C7F9DC-22AC-4B47-BE19-EF7CF71BC59B.png
You would need the mirrors with cameras, front camera with mount (and possibly grill depending on which one you have now), rear camera and new tailgate handle for it (the rear surround view camera is different than the rear camera you have now), Central vision processing module, custom harness for it, and various lengths of fakra z coax cable to connect the cameras to the CVPM.

Georgf

Reaction score
I’d imagine it would work on the 8.4 non nav. It definitely works on a 5” radio-
You would need the mirrors with cameras, front camera with mount (and possibly grill depending on which one you have now), rear camera and new tailgate handle for it (the rear surround view camera is different than the rear camera you have now), Central vision processing module, custom harness for it, and various lengths of fakra z coax cable to connect the cameras to the CVPM.
Thanks Jimmy! You are probably the most knowledgeable person on the forum! If i connect my existing rear view camera it will not work, or will work incorrect? Found the processing module from Ram HD on ebay, could you say it’s the same my 1500? https://www.ebay.com/itm/114871400279

Users who are viewing this thread