5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

acbone710

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully done this with a 2020 non-nav? Regardless of changing the settings in AlfaOBD, the soft key does not show up on my display.

I am running into the exact same issue. I am still looking around for other fixes, but I am not holding my breath. Really not looking to pay the money to update to a nav radio just for this and not ready to pay $2k to go up to the 12", even though the bigger screen would be nice.

Keep me updated if you find a fix, and I will try to come back to this thread if I find a fix.

acbone710

Reaction score
How bout sourcing an OEM cargo mount camera?? Is that an option?
I have only seen those on 2500+. Do they fit on a 1500? I would think not since they are the old body style, but would love to be proven wrong.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

sicpuppy

Reaction score
I've ordered a front mount tag holder that is wifi and connects to an app.
No wiring needed.
I hope it works.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully done this with a 2020 non-nav? Regardless of changing the settings in AlfaOBD, the soft key does not show up on my display.
I am running into the exact same issue. I am still looking around for other fixes, but I am not holding my breath. Really not looking to pay the money to update to a nav radio just for this and not ready to pay $2k to go up to the 12", even though the bigger screen would be nice.

Keep me updated if you find a fix, and I will try to come back to this thread if I find a fix.
@Jimmy07 same here with 8.4 non-nav. I’ve tried with alfa and Tazer unit.
I’m stumped as to why the UAM 8.4” non nav doesn’t seem to accept that setting change on the DT’s. Last night I had another member enable CHMSL camera on his 2020 HD Ram with the exact same radio, and it showed up after a few key cycles- no camera attached, just enabling the setting. That UAM radio is the red headed stepchild of the 8.4’s, and made by a different manufacturer than all the other 8.4’s. The only thing I can think of is that radio is not only considering the bit changes for the CHMSL camera, but also the vehicle line. Since the HDs are DJ, and they are optioned with the CHMSL camera, it must be ignoring the DT vehicle line message and not accepting the bits broadcast from the BCM.

Shives

Reaction score
Any ideas? Just spent a good amount of money to get the parts to get it working. Really a pisser. Lol. Thanks for diving in. Are you saying your buddies truck was also a non-navi unit?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any ideas? Just spent a good amount of money to get the parts to get it working. Really a pisser. Lol. Thanks for diving in. Are you saying your buddies truck was also a non-navi unit?
Correct- exact same UAM 8.4” non-Navi radio on the heavy duty 2020 Ram brought up the cargo cam soft key after enabling CHMSL camera with AlfaOBD.
NtRXpx7.jpg

Shives

Reaction score
I am going to remove Tazer and just try with AlfaOBD. Cause Tazer is not doing it. I also got a code today U0168

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to remove Tazer and just try with AlfaOBD. Cause Tazer is not doing it. I also got a code today U0168
U0168 is the loss of communication associated with removing the security gateway module.

Shives

Reaction score
U0168 is the loss of communication associated with removing the security gateway module.
I thought as much. But the first tome I went and did the Tazer, it did not show up. Strange.
Anyways, going to unmarry. I did check with Alfa to see if the config is set, and it is.

pbclax1

Reaction score
Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/638551-2?qs=/ha2pyFadui2KO4i8tuEMRmwe3qqDO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.
Is the Alfa setting done through the Pacifica selection or it doesn’t matter and just takes a while to show up?

Grouper

Reaction score
So after 192 posts there's still no definitive information regarding whether or not the non-camera emblem backing plate can be swapped for the camera emblem backing plate and if so, which parts numbers apply to which grille?

Shives

Reaction score
Again if you ask one of the companies about fit, as mentioned they should help. Or, like me buy some parts and try it. So far, I’ve ordered two, first was wrong and realized first thing AM. Ordered the one I should need tonight and also purchased a new HL factory sub box to add some sound. I have an idea or 3.

pbclax1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you upgrade from the non nav to a 12” if you should be able to get the cargo cam button to show up? Mine is not showing up...any help?

pbclax1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you upgrade from the non nav to a 12” if you should be able to get the cargo cam button to show up? Mine is not showing up...any help?
Has anyone successfully done this? Upgrade from non nav to 12” with nav, enabled chmsl in Alfa and had the cargo cam button appear? Mine will not appear on the 12”...

Shives

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully done this? Upgrade from non nav to 12” with nav, enabled chmsl in Alfa and had the cargo cam button appear? Mine will not appear on the 12”...
Hey what OBD adapter are you using? And what bypass? I just picked up the obd mx + for a few reason. But, things I’m leaning. Our radios suck. But the body computer is picky. Anyways, going to work on it tomorrow.

pbclax1

Reaction score
I don’t recall the exact name of it. I have already upgraded to the 12” and the obd adapter worked for those changes.

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
Ok, I have all of the parts, but I ran into a snag. How do you tap the pins 21/22. Do you use a wire tap on the wires coming out of the pins on the back side( when plugged into the radio)? Or do you insert them along side the wires that in there?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have all of the parts, but I ran into a snag. How do you tap the pins 21/22. Do you use a wire tap on the wires coming out of the pins on the back side( when plugged into the radio)? Or do you insert them along side the wires that in there?
There won’t be any wires present in positions 21/22. Pry the red face of the connector off, insert the wires, the put the red terminal lock back on.

Users who are viewing this thread