5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add Me to the List: Water Leaking

Hackmunch

Reaction score
mine was the same. pull the 3rd brake light. toss a bead of silicone on the top edge of the window seal and silicone 3rd brake light in.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
I can also be added to the list. Dealer had my truck for a week, and per the service writer, the tech spent 7 hours water testing the truck. They narrowed it down to the third brake light, and replaced it. I get to pick it up tomorrow which is exciting.

I also had a wet drivers side floorboard, but they were not able to replicate it, so I'll keep an eye on it.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Check it yourself when they give it back to you. My dealer has claimed it to be fixed 5 times. Don't understand how they can miss water dripping but they do.....

ant0064

Reaction score
So my service dealer in Dallas area replaced my headliner no questions asked. They ended up going through my rear window so they replaced it as well. The service calls for the windshield having to be replaced once it is removed as it won’t reseal once it is removed from what I was told. Same goes for the rear window which is why they replaced it on mine. The reason they didn’t do windshield is because a replacement windshield was hard to come by and they found a rear window easier.
Plenty of people have had to have their windshield replaced due to cracks so I don’t see any reason why it would be an issue. From my understanding with that they usually have a windshield replacement company like safelite come in and do the install anyway.

So you have to remove the windshield and/or rear window to replace the headliner? That's insanity if that's the case. I need to replace the antenna (hit it and broke seal) and if I need to do all that just to drop the headliner I might as well just buy a new truck LOL.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you have to remove the windshield and/or rear window to replace the headliner? That's insanity if that's the case. I need to replace the antenna (hit it and broke seal) and if I need to do all that just to drop the headliner I might as well just buy a new truck LOL.
You can drop the headliner without removing a window you can even get it out if you don’t plan on reusing it without a front or rear window but to get the headliner back in you will have to take it through the windshield or rear window as it is a one piece headliner and it won’t fit through the doors

Glenn54

Reaction score
When I was washing my Laramie a few days ago, I heard water trickling somewhere. Scared me. I looked inside the truck but couldn't find any water inside the cab. Do you think it was just draining under the hood or something? I sure hope that's what it is.

ant0064

Reaction score
You can drop the headliner without removing a window you can even get it out if you don’t plan on reusing it without a front or rear window but to get the headliner back in you will have to take it through the windshield or rear window as it is a one piece headliner and it won’t fit through the doors

Ohhh now I get it...I just need to drop it enough to access the shark fin antenna...needs replaced. Thanks!

stebo

Reaction score
hopefully this isn't a repeat and I didn't see it on the listing for TSB/Recalls.

Dug into the system today and saw that there is a STAR case for the front leaks :
S1923000026 (5/21/2019) : Water Leak at A Pillar Onto Floor

Requires all other "items" to be checked first (aka the Pano Roof Drain Tubes / Windshield Seal)

Uses Kent Automotive Leak Check (Part Number P50087)
Masking Tape
Masking Paper
(last resort : Butyl 04076274AB or equiv)

I recently noticed that my carpet was wet on the driver's side under my front floor mat, when cleaning out my truck. I saw this post and read the star report. I also did a leak check like the original poster and had water coming in the same manner. The last thing I wanted was to take my truck in and have the dealer break paint on the fender bolts and remove the fender. Over the weekend, my buddy and I sealed the fender seam shown in the Star report, without taking the fender off. We used some black silicone and black butyl. To do this, we had to remove the wheel, fender liner and the foam gap filler. We also used a leak sniffer to determine which areas needed the most attention. Then I left the carpet pulled back the rest of the weekend so it would dry out. Next big rain I will check it to see if the leak is gone. Thanks for all of the info! Wouldn't have known where to start without this site.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently noticed that my carpet was wet on the driver's side under my front floor mat, when cleaning out my truck. I saw this post and read the star report. I also did a leak check like the original poster and had water coming in the same manner. The last thing I wanted was to take my truck in and have the dealer break paint on the fender bolts and remove the fender. Over the weekend, my buddy and I sealed the fender seam shown in the Star report, without taking the fender off. We used some black silicone and black butyl. To do this, we had to remove the wheel, fender liner and the foam gap filler. We also used a leak sniffer to determine which areas needed the most attention. Then I left the carpet pulled back the rest of the weekend so it would dry out. Next big rain I will check it to see if the leak is gone. Thanks for all of the info! Wouldn't have known where to start without this site.
Hi, thanks for the post. Did you take any pictures of the wheel well and foam removal? How difficult was it to remove? Did you take any pictures of the repair area. Any more info would be appreciated. I am considering doing this as well. Thanks

VinnyRam

Reaction score
OP here. I am glad to report that our dealer got us out the door before our trip. I checked after a car wash to clean the Colorado dust off and it seems my leak is fixed. I will update if the floor gets wet again. Love this forum! Got some pics of the Colorado trip in the Off road part of the forum.

Gerry
What did they do to fix the leak? I have the same issue.

stebo

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the post. Did you take any pictures of the wheel well and foam removal? How difficult was it to remove? Did you take any pictures of the repair area. Any more info would be appreciated. I am considering doing this as well. Thanks
No, sorry. I didn't take any pics. Fender liner comes off with several bolts and a few push pins. The foam is just wedged in there and comes right out. Neither were difficult to take off. It's a little tight getting your hands up in there, especially the higher you go, but it helped to have another set of hands to help.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Finally I am leak free at least for now. There is defective glass out there. I have no clue why FCA is not purging there stock but they should. Up on the receipt of the 3rd rear window for my truck the window tech finally got smart and decided to check it prior to installation. There were a series of what appeared to be drain holes along the top edge of the window seal/frame. The window guy said he had never seen anything like that. Drain holes on the bottom would let water out. Drain holes on the top let water in, DUH.....There was a hole in particular that correlates with the location of my leak and so many others people have posted pictures of. The window guy was able to blow air through that hole from the inside of the wind to the outside. Since this are of the window frame does not normally receive sealant during install the tech sealed up the holes individually. We all water tested the heck out of it and finally there are no leaks. Not impressed with FCA quality control....... Sorry for not taking pictures .

d19r93

Reaction score
I just saw this thread and checked mine. I have the leak in the front drivers footwell. It comes in only if I start the water at the top of the windshield, where the roof and windshield meet. Has anyone actually determined where this leak is actually coming from? I’m heartbroken. Owned my truck 4 days and has 90 miles on it. Build date of 7-29-19

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Finally I am leak free at least for now. There is defective glass out there. I have no clue why FCA is not purging there stock but they should. Up on the receipt of the 3rd rear window for my truck the window tech finally got smart and decided to check it prior to installation. There were a series of what appeared to be drain holes along the top edge of the window seal/frame. The window guy said he had never seen anything like that. Drain holes on the bottom would let water out. Drain holes on the top let water in, DUH.....There was a hole in particular that correlates with the location of my leak and so many others people have posted pictures of. The window guy was able to blow air through that hole from the inside of the wind to the outside. Since this are of the window frame does not normally receive sealant during install the tech sealed up the holes individually. We all water tested the heck out of it and finally there are no leaks. Not impressed with FCA quality control....... Sorry for not taking pictures .
i noticed when i replaced my 3rd brake light (with the 3rd brake light out you can see the top of the window) that there seemed to be 2 channels about 18" apart on the top. i thought the same thing like are these some type of drain channels. i siliconed the whole top middle of the window and went right over those channels and sealed them up. maybe thats why i dont have leaks anymore lol.

KSOTI

Reaction score
i noticed when i replaced my 3rd brake light (with the 3rd brake light out you can see the top of the window) that there seemed to be 2 channels about 18" apart on the top. i thought the same thing like are these some type of drain channels. i siliconed the whole top middle of the window and went right over those channels and sealed them up. maybe thats why i dont have leaks anymore lol.
You could be on to something! The "errant" drain holes were little rectangular holes about an eighth of an inch long. should be able to take your air nozzle and blow straight through. maybe its only the ones closest to center that are a problem. Guess we'll never know now we are dry. FCA sure aren't giving up any details........

stebo

Reaction score
I just saw this thread and checked mine. I have the leak in the front drivers footwell. It comes in only if I start the water at the top of the windshield, where the roof and windshield meet. Has anyone actually determined where this leak is actually coming from? I’m heartbroken. Owned my truck 4 days and has 90 miles on it. Build date of 7-29-19

Hard to determine without taking the fender off and looking closely at that seam and spraying it with water. Just do what I did and seal up that seem between the inner fender and body side inner. Not too hard of a job. Don't take it to the dealer. They will remove the fender and break the factory paint in the process because the fenders are painted after it's bolted on. I wanted to avoid that, so I fixed it the way I did.

d19r93

Reaction score
M
Hard to determine without taking the fender off and looking closely at that seam and spraying it with water. Just do what I did and seal up that seem between the inner fender and body side inner. Not too hard of a job. Don't take it to the dealer. They will remove the fender and break the factory paint in the process because the fenders are painted after it's bolted on. I wanted to avoid that, so I fixed it the way I did.
mine leaks when I pour water from where the roof meets the windshield. I’m not sure if sealing the fender would fix my issue.

stebo

Reaction score
M

mine leaks when I pour water from where the roof meets the windshield. I’m not sure if sealing the fender would fix my issue.
Yep, that's how I found my leak too. I put a hose up on the roof in the roof ditch molding near the top of the windshield and let it run down. Then I pulled the sill/kick panel trim and body side seal and could see water seeping out out the body side inner to body side outer weld flange. You have the same leak that I did. I'd put money on it.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Yep, that's how I found my leak too. I put a hose up on the roof in the roof ditch molding near the top of the windshield and let it run down. Then I pulled the sill/kick panel trim and body side seal and could see water seeping out out the body side inner to body side outer weld flange. You have the same leak that I did. I'd put money on it.
I have the same leak. Can you please post the link for the material that you used to seal the fender? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread