5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add Me to the List: Water Leaking

stebo

Reaction score
I have the same leak. Can you please post the link for the material that you used to seal the fender? Thanks

I just used black silicone that comes in a tube and my buddy had some butyl. It's a black sticky caulk like substance. It came on a sheet that you peeled off and then applied by hand.

Last edited:

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I just used black silicone that comes in a tube and my buddy who works at FCA, had some butyl that I'm assuming he brought home from work. It's a black sticky caulk like substance. It came on a sheet that you peeled off and then applied by hand.
Thanks. I'm thinking of just getting a can of Flex Seal.

d19r93

Reaction score
I just used black silicone that comes in a tube and my buddy who works at FCA, had some butyl that I'm assuming he brought home from work. It's a black sticky caulk like substance. It came on a sheet that you peeled off and then applied by hand.
Is there any way you can post a picture? I explained this to my dealer and they have no clue. They haven’t removed the fender. It was dropped off at the dealer before you posted your reply. But they’re getting Chrysler involved now. But yes there’s a tiny hole where the weld should be. They replaced the door seal because it had a gnarly kink and tear, but it still leaked. I’ll talk to them Monday. Thanks!

VinnyRam

Reaction score
hopefully this isn't a repeat and I didn't see it on the listing for TSB/Recalls.

Dug into the system today and saw that there is a STAR case for the front leaks :
S1923000026 (5/21/2019) : Water Leak at A Pillar Onto Floor

Requires all other "items" to be checked first (aka the Pano Roof Drain Tubes / Windshield Seal)

Uses Kent Automotive Leak Check (Part Number P50087)
Masking Tape
Masking Paper
(last resort : Butyl 04076274AB or equiv)
I too have the front driver floor leak at the exact location as shown in the above STAR case. I attempted to follow this procedure today but didn't get very far. I did not remove the fender. I removed the fender liner and here are a couple of pictures looking up between the inner frame and the fender. The first picture shows the black foam insulation, not sure what it does. The second picture shows what's behind the insulation. Reaching up, I can feel the vertical seam mentioned in the STAR case with my fingers but I can't see what it looks like. Without removing the fender, I can't do what @stebo did . There's just not enough room to spray anything along that seam or see what I'm doing. I didn't want to but will have to take it to the dealer.

Attachments

• leak 1.jpg
    leak 1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 137
  • leak 2.jpg
    leak 2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 134

d19r93

Reaction score
I too have the front driver floor leak at the exact location as shown in the above STAR case. I attempted to follow this procedure today but didn't get very far. I did not remove the fender. I removed the fender liner and here are a couple of pictures looking up between the inner frame and the fender. The first picture shows the black foam insulation, not sure what it does. The second picture shows what's behind the insulation. Reaching up, I can feel the vertical seam mentioned in the STAR case with my fingers but I can't see what it looks like. Without removing the fender, I can't do what @stebo did . There's just not enough room to spray anything along that seam or see what I'm doing. I didn't want to but will have to take it to the dealer.

how are you viewing the star case? I can’t find anything on it and would love to see or read it.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Thanks. Are you still leak free ?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

for a cleaner look, you could use 4" Gorilla tape instead. :)

VinnyRam

Reaction score
You won't be able to spray it up in there unless you remove the fender.
Yup. Came to the same conclusion after I removed the liner but not the fender. Not sure how you were able to get the black silicone on the seam without removing the fender.

d19r93

Reaction score
Why would you not let them do it?
There was a post about them breaking the factory paint, and it made me paranoid that they will not get the fender lined up right. I am letting them do it, because I want it documented that they "fixed" it. I would have attempted it myself had I not taken it to the dealer, but only because I would have wanted to keep the factory paint intact. Sounds like it's a moot point anyway, considering it sounds nearly impossible to do the repair without removing the fender.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
There was a post about them breaking the factory paint, and it made me paranoid that they will not get the fender lined up right. I am letting them do it, because I want it documented that they "fixed" it. I would have attempted it myself had I not taken it to the dealer, but only because I would have wanted to keep the factory paint intact. Sounds like it's a moot point anyway, considering it sounds nearly impossible to do the repair without removing the fender.
I see. Reading the post from @stebo motivated me to give it a try but I didn't get very far. Was your trip to the dealer successful ? Mine will be going under the knife next week.

stebo

Reaction score
Yup. Came to the same conclusion after I removed the liner but not the fender. Not sure how you were able to get the black silicone on the seam without removing the fender.
I used silicone towards the bottom and the butyl where I had to reach my hand way up in there or come down from the top.

d19r93

Reaction score
I see. Reading the post from @stebo motivated me to give it a try but I didn't get very far. Was your trip to the dealer successful ? Mine will be going under the knife next week.
Still waiting to hear back. The service guy was out yesterday and the tech was out today.

d19r93

Reaction score
I just got an update to mine. Apparently, the 2020 model year trucks had the issue posted on #59 resolved before the 2020 was released. When I talked to my dealer, they said there was a leak where the firewall met the windshield. Therefore they had to remove the front bumper, the front fender, and the cowl for the wipers, and seal up an area there. I will see if this fully resolves my A-Pillar leak. I will be testing before I leave with it when it's completed tomorrow. They're supposed to give me the info on the case that's open with Chrysler. Chrysler was aware and told them where this specific spot was. We shall see!

d19r93

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck from the dealer. The fix for mine was the Star Case reported in post number 59. They pulled the fender off and sealed a bunch of areas that were missing sealant. they tested before putting it back together, and then again when they had it back together. No more leaks from that area! I definitely checked when I went to pick it up.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck from the dealer. The fix for mine was the Star Case reported in post number 59. They pulled the fender off and sealed a bunch of areas that were missing sealant. they tested before putting it back together, and then again when they had it back together. No more leaks from that area! I definitely checked when I went to pick it up.
That's very good to hear. I also told my dealer about the the Star case and took my truck in today. Got a call later in the day that this is something that their body shop has to do but they don't have a can of the sealant spray to do the work. I'll have to bring it back next week. However, they took care of my 2 recalls so it wasn't a waste of time. Did they put the fender back correctly ? Thanks for the update. Everyone should check their truck for this leak.

Users who are viewing this thread