5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

Moparluver

Reaction score
92 out, after driving 15 min on Max ac, I'm getting 55 out of drivers center vent. With flow shut off to the heater core, it drops 10 degrees to 45

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

timtlu

Reaction score
Send me a thermometer and I'll give you a reading. Otherwise, no need. Truck baked in the heat from noon to 4 p.m. today. I was dripping sweat after 10 minutes of loading kayaks in the back. After a change into dry clothes, the wife, three kids in carseats across the back and myself set off for Guadalupe River State Park. 109 on dash temp. Auto 66 and my wife and I were both inching up to 67...68.... 5 minutes into the ride. Nary a complaint about being hot from the peanut gallery in the back.

ldoh

Reaction score
Send me a thermometer and I'll give you a reading. Otherwise, no need. Truck baked in the heat from noon to 4 p.m. today. I was dripping sweat after 10 minutes of loading kayaks in the back. After a change into dry clothes, the wife, three kids in carseats across the back and myself set off for Guadalupe River State Park. 109 on dash temp. Auto 66 and my wife and I were both inching up to 67...68.... 5 minutes into the ride. Nary a complaint about being hot from the peanut gallery in the back.

An inexpensive thermometer works fine.

timtlu

Reaction score
An inexpensive thermometer works fine.

I understand. But the point is I don't have one, and why would I buy one to confirm what I know is already working perfectly fine for my family and me?

If I run into one somewhere, I'll be glad to contribute though.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I used my digital meat thermometer yesterday. Hot sun 93 out. My drivers side vent showed 49 degrees, pass vent 46. Not on max air, fan speed on 3. This was after about 5 min of driving. Definitely not throwing ice cubes at you like my jeep but sufficient.

pinkerton

Reaction score
I understand. But the point is I don't have one, and why would I buy one to confirm what I know is already working perfectly fine for my family and me?

If I run into one somewhere, I'll be glad to contribute though.
I agree, No need - We already know your vents are blowing 44-47. (lucky man)

ac1dd

Reaction score
Send me a thermometer and I'll give you a reading. Otherwise, no need.
:unsure::censored:
You got a truck with properly working A/C. But even so for a few bucks you could help build a database to show which are working correctly and which are not.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I can tell you that it’s definately a problem in more trucks than just mine. My buddy has a 1 month old limited and he is sold on doing the valve/clamp hack mod. We tested the two trucks side by side today and at 100 deg ambient temp my dash vents were blowing high 40’s at idle and his limited was blowing low 60’s, both trucks idling for the same amount of time. This was the first time he put a thermometer (mine) in the vents but told me it didn’t blow cold.

Attachments

• 3567D80D-615E-48E5-BE23-A312B39A4B8B.jpeg
    3567D80D-615E-48E5-BE23-A312B39A4B8B.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 48

dreinert

Reaction score
Attached is my AC detail 52F at the vent and 79deg outside on recirc. It's still currently at the dealer, for the first time at 25k miles, to address the recalls and a handful of issues. It's funny now with this truck that 9of10 issues are addressed with simple software updates....times are changing!

They called yesterday to give an update and on the AC they checked the charge level, actuator positions, and did a SW update....but they are still reporting temps of 46deg at the center drivers vent and said it's within spec as the 1234 freon isn't as cold as the 134a.

Annoying thing...2 things actually....1) I got a fiat 500 for a loaner :( 2) I did the same exact setup but it was 76deg outside and it blew between 33-35deg from the same vent.

So we'll see if it's improved once I get the truck back. She said it's not the first complaint.on the AC that they've had...obviously. Probably leaning towards the simple valve install.

Attachments

• 2019 Ram Limited AC Temps.jpg
    2019 Ram Limited AC Temps.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 47

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Attached is my AC detail 52F at the vent and 79deg outside on recirc. It's still currently at the dealer, for the first time at 25k miles, to address the recalls and a handful of issues. It's funny now with this truck that 9of10 issues are addressed with simple software updates....times are changing!

They called yesterday to give an update and on the AC they checked the charge level, actuator positions, and did a SW update....but they are still reporting temps of 46deg at the center drivers vent and said it's within spec as the 1234 freon isn't as cold as the 134a.

Annoying thing...2 things actually....1) I got a fiat 500 for a loaner :( 2) I did the same exact setup but it was 76deg outside and it blew between 33-35deg from the same vent.

So we'll see if it's improved once I get the truck back. She said it's not the first complaint.on the AC that they've had...obviously. Probably leaning towards the simple valve install.
Ironic, since the Fiat almost certainly has the same refrigerant and a smaller compressor. Best of luck!

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Had mine checked at the dealer while in for service today...

Apparently the middle vents were blowing out a lovey 43 degrees. I’ll have to verify if that’s the case tomorrow.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No complaints,, it's comparable to most of modern vehicles I've been in recently. Not ice cold like some A/Cs from a decade ago, but no problem this summer so far. Once it gets cool, I've actually turned it down a few times.

Though I haven't had a lot of passengers in it yet, so I don't know how the passengers in the back would be faring on a hot day.

ac1dd

Reaction score
That is a BOLD FACED LIE, and the shop knows it. There is NO discernible difference between the two refrigerants when the system they are in is functioning properly when it comes to vent temps.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the diagnostic and test procedure for DT air conditioning performance check:
  1. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.
    • Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  2. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.

NOTE:
    This procedure requires the technician to know what the temperature and relative humidity is at the time of the test. The temperature must be combined with the relative humidity to calculate the apparent ambient temperature ("feels like" temperature), when the temperatures are above 21°C (70°F). Use the current ambient temperature and the relative humidity in your location. This information can be obtained from multiple sources, such as the internet or local news media.
  3. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
  4. Specifications: 70F ambient/45F output, 80F ambient/45F output, 90 ambient/55F output, 100F ambient/55F output, and 110F ambient/64F output.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 019719 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread