5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

Neokane

Reaction score
So, yesterday was the first really hot day I had to use my AC.

Got in my truck, it was 90 degrees outside. My truck was still warm after [highway] driving for 20-25 minutes.
The temps coming out of the center vents were:
Driver side: 55
Passenger Side: 44

I was slightly mystified by the fact that even after 20 minutes of driving that that AC was still on full with recirc on and the truck wasn't cool/cold.
When I tested the temps on a 70 deg day, sitting still, I was only getting 55/53 on each side.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’m not sure what mine blows out, but I’m fairly certain my old 17 was colder. I’ll bring it up with the techs and see if they can do anything.

It’s not annoyingly warm or anything, I just prefer the cooler air blowing on a hot day. I don’t want to clamp it, though.

One thing that bothers me is that I can’t turn off AC or recycled air... they both flash and then stay on. That needs to be brought up too.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Brought the Rebel in this morning for the last recall. When I first got in my Rebel to head to the dealer, the temp on the dash said 102 because it was baking in the driveway. Sunshade on the pano closed. Started it up and it was on auto, set at 69. Fans blew hard and cool and the cabin felt very comfortable within 2 minutes.

Tool to the dealer. They gave me a loaner. I’m guessing it’s a base model, I’ll have to check. Only has 4200 on the odo. The vehicle wasn’t nearly as hot as mine was when I got in but I immediately noticed the ac wasn’t up to the job. The ac settings were manual not digital. I turned the dials all the way cold, fans to max, vents to face, recirc on (I experimented turning it off but it just flashed and went back on). The fans did not seem to blow as hard nor as cool as my Rebel. Only a 10 minute drive home but it didn’t get comfortable.

Obviously none of that is scientific, no readings, etc, but I just wanted to add my experience.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brought the Rebel in this morning for the last recall. When I first got in my Rebel to head to the dealer, the temp on the dash said 102 because it was baking in the driveway. Sunshade on the pano closed. Started it up and it was on auto, set at 69. Fans blew hard and cool and the cabin felt very comfortable within 2 minutes.

Tool to the dealer. They gave me a loaner. I’m guessing it’s a base model, I’ll have to check. Only has 4200 on the odo. The vehicle wasn’t nearly as hot as mine was when I got in but I immediately noticed the ac wasn’t up to the job. The ac settings were manual not digital. I turned the dials all the way cold, fans to max, vents to face, recirc on (I experimented turning it off but it just flashed and went back on). The fans did not seem to blow as hard nor as cool as my Rebel. Only a 10 minute drive home but it didn’t get comfortable.

Obviously none of that is scientific, no readings, etc, but I just wanted to add my experience.
It's odd that it's hit or miss with these 2019 Rams when it comes to the AC. I bought my Longhorn off the lot at the end of February so I had no reason to check the AC performance on the test drive. Had I known that the truck's AC is a poor performer (at least without the hose clamp), I would have likely looked for another truck.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's odd that it's hit or miss with these 2019 Rams when it comes to the AC. I bought my Longhorn off the lot at the end of February so I had no reason to check the AC performance on the test drive. Had I known that the truck's AC is a poor performer (at least without the hose clamp), I would have likely looked for another truck.

Well....just hopped back in. This is a 2018. So at least I know the ac isn’t good in this year either. Temp reading 120 and this thing can’t keep up. Granted that’s a high temp to have to cool down but my 19 rebel is noticeably better than this for what it’s worth.

Attachments

• 3739FE7E-6CFA-4B9D-8687-3846997169E3.jpeg
    3739FE7E-6CFA-4B9D-8687-3846997169E3.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well....just hopped back in. This is a 2018. So at least I know the ac isn’t good in this year either. Temp reading 120 and this thing can’t keep up. Granted that’s a high temp to have to cool down but my 19 rebel is noticeably better than this for what it’s worth.
As the summer goes on, there's going to be more and more p.....off Ram owners. :)

sergetexan

Reaction score
I have a December 2018 build date and the flash was done a week ago and seems to have corrected the problem for me. Going on short road trip this weekend Texas and Louisiana, will see how it performs in the heat

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a December 2018 build date and the flash was done a week ago and seems to have corrected the problem for me. Going on short road trip this weekend Texas and Louisiana, will see how it performs in the heat

What temperature readings are you getting now?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, yesterday was the first really hot day I had to use my AC.

Got in my truck, it was 90 degrees outside. My truck was still warm after [highway] driving for 20-25 minutes.
The temps coming out of the center vents were:
Driver side: 55
Passenger Side: 44

I was slightly mystified by the fact that even after 20 minutes of driving that that AC was still on full with recirc on and the truck wasn't cool/cold.
When I tested the temps on a 70 deg day, sitting still, I was only getting 55/53 on each side.
I posted about this in one of the other A/C threads, but I find your experiencing similar and very different than mine at the same time. Let me explain:

With an ambient temperature of 91 degrees—about the same as your test—we left a 90-degree garage where the truck had been parked all day. As always, I had the A/C on Auto, and I had the temp set at 71 degrees. The system achieved equilibrium (i..e. fan speed slowing down to low) in under 3 minutes.

I then turned the temp down to "Lo" while leaving it on Auto. The driver side center vent bottomed out at 51 degrees (when fan was on low) and settled at 55 degrees (on high). Meanwhile, the passenger side center vent remained at 45-46 degrees regardless of fan speed. My wife became uncomfortably cold in the passenger seat. I set the temperature back to 71 degrees (still on Auto), and the fan speed dropped back down. I was very comfortable at this temperature setting with the seat ventilation on “Lo”, even with the setting sun shining in my side of the truck.

So...we're seeing the same vent temps as you and others, but we find the A/C performance to be "as expected". And we're the types to keep our house between 69-72 degrees. I'm not sure what's going on that is causing a variance among these trucks.

Reactions: Jtr

Differia

Reaction score
Wait till it gets over 100 degrees out. Park your truck in the sun for a few hours. See how long that takes to cool down. Now hit some city driving with no highway to help with the air flow on the A/C.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopped in my truck today, registered 104. Set AC to Auto "LO", within 5 minutes I had to manually slow fan speed down after I set temp back to 69. My truck doesn't seem to have any problems cooling, and I never drove over 35mph.

sergetexan

Reaction score
What temperature readings are you getting now?
Using a cheap infrared , not best way, temps have dropped around 10 degrees at full cold, Was 50’s /40’s now 40’s /30’s from driver / passenger vents

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Using a cheap infrared , not best way, temps have dropped around 10 degrees at full cold, Was 50’s /40’s now 40’s /30’s from driver / passenger vents

Wow! Good for you! I had the TSB flash done two weeks ago and I'm still in the mid to high 50's.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wait till it gets over 100 degrees out. Park your truck in the sun for a few hours. See how long that takes to cool down. Now hit some city driving with no highway to help with the air flow on the A/C.
I'm not sure whether you were directing your response at me...but I have had good results when parking outside on a 98-degree day. And in my testing, the truck initially cooled down (from 91) in a couple of minutes while idling on my concrete driveway. Granted, I don't leave my panoramic sunroof open or uncovered in the summertime!

ramhead

Reaction score
Hard to compare what is going on amongst the various trucks/owners here as it seems the build date would indicate who may have issues.....the only TSB for the A/C issues being described here is for build dates before Sept 20, 2018:

IMPORTANT to note that this TSB was not issued until Feb 2019 - so, those with earlier builds should verify with dealer... since it's not a recall, you wouldn't be notified.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to compare what is going on amongst the various trucks/owners here as it seems the build date would indicate who may have issues.....the only TSB for the A/C issues being described here is for build dates before Sept 20, 2018:

IMPORTANT to note that this TSB was not issued until Feb 2019 - so, those with earlier builds should verify with dealer... since it's not a recall, you wouldn't be notified.
My truck was built in August 2018. I wonder if this flash also improves behavior when heating the truck. Many of us have observed that the truck immediately cranks up the fan in winter, even if temps are freezing. Every other system I’m aware of waits until there is some heat available before blasting it’s occupants.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had this TSB done two weeks ago, didn't help at all. I've still got vent temps in the mid to high 50's.

ramhead

Reaction score
I had this TSB done two weeks ago, didn't help at all. I've still got vent temps in the mid to high 50's.

If it were me, I'd bring it back (and keep bringing it back) and complain - be a thorn in their sides and they'll want to fix it to get rid of you. You paid $$$$ for a new truck and shouldn't have to be miserable driving it or put up with the BS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread