5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T tires

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Wow - I need to proofread my posts! I was just suggesting if you are looking at A/T tires for some winter use look for tires with the mountain snowflake symbol that signifies they are severe snow rated. I used to run a set of Hankook dynapros and they were good in snow. I now am running falken wildpeaks but haven't had them in cold weather yet. In the winter I switch to the Blizzaks as they are amazing in snow but really beat everything for ice traction and stopping in addition to snow. Basically the snow rated A/T tires are great for off-road, wet and snow traction in weather above 40°F and the winter tires are great for snow and ice in weather under 40°F.
Got it. Thanks man. I’ve spent a couple winters in Minneapolis. It gets much colder up there for an extended time than here. In Colorado / Denver it will snow 3 inches and be gone later that day. The mountains have obviously more snow and ice. That’s what I need snow tires for. Probably only a few months each year.

1D32319

Reaction score
I'd get the Falken wildpeaks at3ws personally,

I had a set on my old Tacoma. Great tires year round. My current hesitation on those are some are being made in China and you don't know what you'll get until they're installed on your truck.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of 3PMSF tires in LT 275/60/20, so I'm either going with D rated BFG KO2 or E rated Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus. If I have to order them, it will be the Nokians, but if they're sitting on the floor when I walk in, it will be the BFGs.

1D32319

Reaction score
I’ve been watching videos and reading reviews on venom terra hunters. My friends dad got some and they look great. Waiting to find out about longevity

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Power-Hunter-All-Terrain-Tire-275/dp/B08D3KZ8C3/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=venom+power+275/55r20&qid=1627527814&sprefix=venom+power+&sr=8-3

Flame suit on, but nothing makes a truck look trashier than off brand tires. Of course Hankook used to be considered an off brand tire, and now they're all over the place.

I'm sure they're popular in the south where year round changing weather traction isn't a concern, but those don't look like good tires for snow or ice.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Cooper Rugged Treks look sweet, & a 275/60-20 has a height of 33.4 which is sweet. When stockers are done I’m going Cooper.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that want a visual on the Hankook dynapro 2. Not as aggressive at other ATs out there, but a nice compromise from the OEM tires. Fills the space well

Attachments

• 20210728_180056.jpg
    20210728_180056.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 20210728_180106.jpg
    20210728_180106.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 187

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Those look more like a road tire. I really like the dynapro atm

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Take a look at the Firestone Destination XT. Heard a few good reviews and gave them a try. Aggressive look and plenty of grip. Ride smooth and quiet with 50k mile warranty. I did take a mpg hit from 21.5 to 19.5 but I’m running E rated 34s.

Attachments

• 309E733C-7EE9-4A4A-AF5A-445F2029CD39.jpeg
    309E733C-7EE9-4A4A-AF5A-445F2029CD39.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 1F5D26AF-3E69-47B4-BF71-A84A3599D50C.jpeg
    1F5D26AF-3E69-47B4-BF71-A84A3599D50C.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 133

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I've been looking to replace my stock Goodyears with AT tires on my stock 22s. Similar criteria as the OP. Quiet and good on wet and dry pavement, but also decent in snow as well as sand and gravel. I plan to keep the stock tire size as I'm hoping to minimize MPG loss as well as any rubbing. I've narrowed it down to the Cooper AT3 4S and the Yokohama Geolandar G015. Tire Rack's tests rank the Yokohama's higher, but Cooper ranks higher with their consumer ratings. What do you guys think about these two? Thanks!

Doc33

Reaction score
I've been looking to replace my stock Goodyears with AT tires on my stock 22s. Similar criteria as the OP. Quiet and good on wet and dry pavement, but also decent in snow as well as sand and gravel. I plan to keep the stock tire size as I'm hoping to minimize MPG loss as well as any rubbing. I've narrowed it down to the Cooper AT3 4S and the Yokohama Geolandar G015. Tire Rack's tests rank the Yokohama's higher, but Cooper ranks higher with their consumer ratings. What do you guys think about these two? Thanks!
I'm currently running the Yokohama now and for the most part they have been very good in all weather situations. Only fault is small gravel will get stuck in the tread.

dwalme

Reaction score

I have the Cooper AT3 4S on my truck in the 275/60R20 size. They look great and perform well in all the weather I've been in.

My truck has a vibration issue above 70 and over time the tires are spinning around the wheels throwing off the wheel balance. That might be the wheels or just the combination of the wheels and tires.

The Cooper's take on average 3.5oz of weight to balance. Not terrible but not great either for their size.

Because of these issues I'm going with a different tire on the next truck.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I'm currently running the Yokohama now and for the most part they have been very good in all weather situations. Only fault is small gravel will get stuck in the tread.
Thanks Doc33. How is the road noise and ride compared to stock? How have they been in snow? I'm guessing narrower treads help with road noise so I guess stuck gravel is to be expected.

I have the Cooper AT3 4S on my truck in the 275/60R20 size. They look great and perform well in all the weather I've been in.

My truck has a vibration issue above 70 and over time the tires are spinning around the wheels throwing off the wheel balance. That might be the wheels or just the combination of the wheels and tires.

The Cooper's take on average 3.5oz of weight to balance. Not terrible but not great either for their size.

Because of these issues I'm going with a different tire on the next truck.
Thanks dwalme. Could the vibration be an alignment or balancing issue rather than the tires themselves? I drive over 70 regularly here, so that might be an issue if it's the tires. How is the road noise and ride up until 70 and have you taken them in the snow?

dwalme

Reaction score
The vibration was not an alignment issue or wheel balance issue (at least not when they were freshly balanced before moving around the rim).

It could be other issues with the truck as many people have posted in various vibration threads.

They handle great in Michigan winter snow. Excellent traction.

No noticable decrease in ride noise from the factory tires.

Doc33

Reaction score
Thanks Doc33. How is the road noise and ride compared to stock? How have they been in snow? I'm guessing narrower treads help with road noise so I guess stuck gravel is to be expected.

Thanks dwalme. Could the vibration be an alignment or balancing issue rather than the tires themselves? I drive over 70 regularly here, so that might be an issue if it's the tires. How is the road noise and ride up until 70 and have you taken them in the snow?
There fine in the snow, road noise is very good and comfort level is ok for an E load rated tire

mcosub

Reaction score
Am I the only one that bought the Continental AT’s? I liked the handling and wet traction and above all else the lack of noise from them. They are good enough to navigate my property when its wet vs factory tires immediately getting stuck on wet grass. Avoid super soft ground as it will struggle but its to be expected since its not a mud tire. Bought them for my wife’s truck and she actually noticed the truck was “driving differently today “ vs the Toyo OC that we had which was no better than the Continental when it came to traction on wet vegetation or mud. The Toyos were louder and were less responsive BUT THEY LOOKED COOLER which is why i liked them to begin with. Which is obviously a huge factor for most of us here 😂 it appears. But the Conti’s imo were just a better tire.
I am considering the Continental AT also. Was hoping someone on here a good picture of them mounted on their truck.

photog0611

Reaction score
For those of you that changed your 22" wheels to 20", are there any issues with the computer needing to be updated? Have to admit that computer scares me!

I am thinking about new 20" wheels with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Ran those on my Toyota and had great ride and durability before I traded it in for my new Ram 1500 Limited this sitting. I live in the CO mountains so half my mileage is on snow, often severe conditions

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dwalme

Reaction score
Computer only cares about overall wheel/tire diameter. Wheel size alone doesn't matter.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What dwalme said. I was worried about using AlfaOBD to program my truck with the new tire size but this video helped me get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread