5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T tires

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish the AT3W came in more 22" wheel sizes. Planning on keeping my stock 22's but want to jump up to a larger tire with level and spacers. Anyone have suggestions for AT tires on a 22" stock wheel?

To the inevitable "There are already threads on this topic" guy - Yes I'm aware of that, but this is an active thread so chill out
Are you looking for 33's or 35's? Toyo AT3's come in both of those sizes. 285/50/22 or 295/55/22.

Rams01

Reaction score
Am I the only one that bought the Continental AT’s? I liked the handling and wet traction and above all else the lack of noise from them. They are good enough to navigate my property when its wet vs factory tires immediately getting stuck on wet grass. Avoid super soft ground as it will struggle but its to be expected since its not a mud tire. Bought them for my wife’s truck and she actually noticed the truck was “driving differently today “ vs the Toyo OC that we had which was no better than the Continental when it came to traction on wet vegetation or mud. The Toyos were louder and were less responsive BUT THEY LOOKED COOLER which is why i liked them to begin with. Which is obviously a huge factor for most of us here 😂 it appears. But the Conti’s imo were just a better tire.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I the only one that bought the Continental AT’s? I liked the handling and wet traction and above all else the lack of noise from them. They are good enough to navigate my property when its wet vs factory tires immediately getting stuck on wet grass. Avoid super soft ground as it will struggle but its to be expected since its not a mud tire. Bought them for my wife’s truck and she actually noticed the truck was “driving differently today “ vs the Toyo OC that we had which was no better than the Continental when it came to traction on wet vegetation or mud. The Toyos were louder and were less responsive BUT THEY LOOKED COOLER which is why i liked them to begin with. Which is obviously a huge factor for most of us here 😂 it appears. But the Conti’s imo were just a better tire.
I was looking at those as well but the reviews on noise and ride seemed similar to the falkens and it seemed the falkens may be slightly better on wet and snow. Plus the falkens look cool and once in awhile I'll let my ego win over my practical side 😁. I do notice a difference in ride and sound from the duelers to the wildpeaks but if I'm not thinking about it I don't notice. Seems you can't go wrong with either option.

Rams01

Reaction score
Wife ripped the sidewall of her Pirelli that came with the truck f**king 800 miles into ownership so to save the pain in the *** it would be to buy a 20" wheels and sell the 22"s which likely would be difficult I opted for the Toyo OC III after some convincing and discounting from my friend that's a GM at Discount Tire. Out the door with road hazard for $1800 which was a steal IMO.

Went with an odd size of 285/55/22 which added some sidewall 0.6" of height to the truck, is a 10 ply tire, and compliments the air ride. Like... a night and day difference how it rides now. Road noise cant be heard over the AC and ventilated seat noise lol. But there is some rubbing at full lock so now figuring out how to modify the plastics in the fender well and eliminate my one gripe. Fingers crossed it's good in the rain.

cephus91

Reaction score
What is the biggest tire you can run on a 19 Limited without rubbing?R20.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You had the Toyo OC AT III and they didn't do ok in mild mud? I'm debating between the Continental Terrain Contact AT and those Toyo ones and I'm seriously torn after reading all the threads. 90% highway, but occasional level B dirt road from September through January for hunting purposes. It seems like everyone has different opinions on noise and ability on tires.

Rams01

Reaction score
Sorry my post sucked and was all over the place. The continental ATs are great on the highway and the steering input you get is unmatched along with traction in the rain at highway speed‘s. But on soft ground, you’re gonna be in trouble if its grass and wet dirt aka ex driving through a grassy field after rain in 4WD you risk getting stuck if the truck sinks when you’re parked or sitting.
Just bought the Toyo OC 3 last week, the road noise is negligible for now at least and the ride on the hwy is WAY better mostly because I bought a taller tire on a 22 inch wheel which absorbs the road better. The OC3 ride great and so far in the 30 mins of rain driving i have they’re fine and 2wd is cake walk. Cant speak on the OC3’s off road ability but they grip my gravel driveway better and no longer seem to spin like I did on the continentals trying to drive up my 5-6 degree slope hill.
hope i cleared it up for you.
if my wife didn’t needed the added sidewall I’d of bought the Continentals again hands down. Because on the off chance I need to drive on grass they got the job done if I pick my path right and also 1,000 bucks less.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry my post sucked and was all over the place. The continental ATs are great on the highway and the steering input you get is unmatched along with traction in the rain at highway speed‘s. But on soft ground, you’re gonna be in trouble if its grass and wet dirt aka ex driving through a grassy field after rain in 4WD you risk getting stuck if the truck sinks when you’re parked or sitting.
Just bought the Toyo OC 3 last week, the road noise is negligible for now at least and the ride on the hwy is WAY better mostly because I bought a taller tire on a 22 inch wheel which absorbs the road better. The OC3 ride great and so far in the 30 mins of rain driving i have they’re fine and 2wd is cake walk. Cant speak on the OC3’s off road ability but they grip my gravel driveway better and no longer seem to spin like I did on the continentals trying to drive up my 5-6 degree slope hill.
hope i cleared it up for you.
if my wife didn’t needed the added sidewall I’d of bought the Continentals again hands down. Because on the off chance I need to drive on grass they got the job done if I pick my path right and also 1,000 bucks less.

Got it. I ended up with the Hankook Dynapro AT2 in 305/45/22 118. Very limited driving with them so far, but can't really notice noise and ride seems the same. I'm overthinking every bump I feel though, lol

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Just as an FYI for others I got Discount Tire to price match the lowest price I found and then got a CDJR to match that price and offer $400 for my stock Duelers and then Discount matched that. In the end I got 4 new tires installed for $650 after tax.
Hey millerbjm, what do you mean by CDJR? I'm in Denver and probably need to look at Snow tires or something with a little better traction for the Winter. See, I occasionally go to the Mountains to ski in the Winter and while the Bridgestone tires that came stock with my truck look like they be fine most of the year, I want something with a bit more tractions in the Winter. I'd certainly look to sell my tires back on a trade-in if possible and get either the Falkens that you got or the Toyo tires.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
Hey millerbjm, what do you mean by CDJR? I'm in Denver and probably need to look at Snow tires or something with a little better traction for the Winter. See, I occasionally go to the Mountains to ski in the Winter and while the Bridgestone tires that came stock with my truck look like they be fine most of the year, I want something with a bit more tractions in the Winter. I'd certainly look to sell my tires back on a trade-in if possible and get either the Falkens that you got or the Toyo tires.
Guessing it is Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, as in a dealership.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership - Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep. The A/T tours are not as good as real winter tires like the Blizzaks I run from Mid Nov - March but are much better than all seasons. I think a mountain snowflake rated tie would with weel for your use.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I’ll probably drive on the stock Bridgestone tires and go with a winter / snow tire during the few months I need a little extra traction. What is the last thing you said?

R.Duff

Reaction score
I'd get the Falken wildpeaks at3ws personally, had Toyos on my f150 and find the wildpeaks are quiter, and seem to be better in the snow and loose gravel fsr roads and the wet especially in raincouver bc

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll probably drive on the stock Bridgestone tires and go with a winter / snow tire during the few months I need a little extra traction. What is the last thing you said?
Wow - I need to proofread my posts! I was just suggesting if you are looking at A/T tires for some winter use look for tires with the mountain snowflake symbol that signifies they are severe snow rated. I used to run a set of Hankook dynapros and they were good in snow. I now am running falken wildpeaks but haven't had them in cold weather yet. In the winter I switch to the Blizzaks as they are amazing in snow but really beat everything for ice traction and stopping in addition to snow. Basically the snow rated A/T tires are great for off-road, wet and snow traction in weather above 40°F and the winter tires are great for snow and ice in weather under 40°F.

Users who are viewing this thread