5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T tires

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, I've seen a Sierra 3500HD pop two non E rated tire when loaded and going through some lose travel. He was running a 305/55/20 standard rating and was loaded down with a fifth wheel. Both popped almost simultaneously.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, I've seen a Sierra 3500HD pop two non E rated tire when loaded and going through some lose travel. He was running a 305/55/20 standard rating and was loaded down with a fifth wheel. Both popped almost simultaneously.
Yeah I would definitely run E rated tires on a 3500 with a 5th wheel - a lot more weight there than my 1500 with max of 800lb hitch weight!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as an FYI for others I got Discount Tire to price match the lowest price I found and then got a CDJR to match that price and offer $400 for my stock Duelers and then Discount matched that. In the end I got 4 new tires installed for $650 after tax.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Put the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs on last week. Certainly look great and aggressive. Road noise is minimal and ride is great. 50k mile warranty, but obviously longevity is TBD.

I've had 3 sets of **** Cepeck trail country exp in the past. Awesome tire. I got 75k miles on one set that were still in very good shape when I traded. The other sets were around 45k when traded and in excellent shape.
Good looking setup. What size tires are you running and what is the offset of your rims? Thanks in advance.

Idaho970

Reaction score
I wish the AT3W came in more 22" wheel sizes. Planning on keeping my stock 22's but want to jump up to a larger tire with level and spacers. Anyone have suggestions for AT tires on a 22" stock wheel?

To the inevitable "There are already threads on this topic" guy - Yes I'm aware of that, but this is an active thread so chill out

MarkkraM

Reaction score
I would like to go with 285/55/20, but they are all LT and weigh around 20lbs per tire more than the unlikable Nexen tires that came with my '21 big horn. I was hoping to get an XL at that size, but I need to keep to the original 275/55/20 for that at a 10lbs per tire increase in weight.

Is there a formula for calculating tow weight loss going with either and XL or LT?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to go with 285/55/20, but they are all LT and weigh around 20lbs per tire more than the unlikable Nexen tires that came with my '21 big horn. I was hoping to get an XL at that size, but I need to keep to the original 275/55/20 for that at a 10lbs per tire increase in weight.
I'm not sure what the Nexen's weigh but the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/50-20 XL tires are 45.26 lbs per tire and the 275/55-20 XL tires are 47.55 lbs per tire.

Is there a formula for calculating tow weight loss going with either and XL or LT?
I'm not sure what you're asking with that.

Your rear GAWR is 4100 lbs which is going to be your limiting factor if you discount GVWR. Even LT tires at max pressure will have more capacity than your rear axle.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Last time I looked, Toyo AT3 in a 275/60/20 which are pretty much 33's show a weight of 42lbs per tire. That's the tire size I'm planning on buying once I wear these out a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread