5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T that can also handle snow???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Toyo AT3 just came out a couple months ago… You cannot compare online reviews of the old open country AT2. Keep that in mind. The new Toyo AT3 is severe snow rated the old tire was not. The Yokohama‘s do great in the snow but my absolute favorite is the Falken AT3w. I have lots of mountains snow driving experience on those. And keep in mind the Falken Wildpeak that comes on the north package and off-road package 1500s is not the same tire. Those are AT3WA.
Only remember seeing one type of Toyo AT tire on their website ..maybe I missed something.

Daytona440

Reaction score
I will also throw a vote for the Falken Wildpeak At/3Ws.

Great tire, I have them on my Ram and also ran them on my 2012 Silverado.. I also ran the Duratracs. Those were a great tire in bad weather but got loud as they wore..

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really want the Wildpeaks...but if DT can't do a price match for me then I'll have to go with something else. I refuse to pay over $200 per a tire lol. Hell I might end up with some TravelStar ecopaths instead haha

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I really want the Wildpeaks...but if DT can't do a price match for me then I'll have to go with something else. I refuse to pay over $200 per a tire lol. Hell I might end up with some TravelStar ecopaths instead haha
The ram dealer will do buy three get one for a dollar in October. Falkens are available.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ram dealer will do buy three get one for a dollar in October. Falkens are available.
Oooo. I'll definitely check with my dealer here then, that sounds like it could be a good deal as long as they don't charge $300 per tire.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Overpriced and terrible for highway use. Great for off roading though lol.
So I’ll eat some crow here and just say talk to a shop guy that knows his tires. I just put in an order for Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires today. He’s run every tire out there, says my BFG KO2s are sh*t. Lol I trust a straight shooter. FWIW he says the Falkens are the best out there; I had to order them through Discount Tire and he had no issue with that. My BFGs have been great but when it comes time for replacement I’ll always listen.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’ll eat some crow here and just say talk to a shop guy that knows his tires. I just put in an order for Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires today. He’s run every tire out there, says my BFG KO2s are sh*t. Lol I trust a straight shooter. FWIW he says the Falkens are the best out there; I had to order them through Discount Tire and he had no issue with that. My BFGs have been great but when it comes time for replacement I’ll always listen.
Nice! I just got an email from discount tire offering me my price match for the Wildpeaks. $168 per tire. I just have to confirm that they are the light truck versions and not the Passenger car ones.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Nice! I just got an email from discount tire offering me my price match for the Wildpeaks. $168 per tire. I just have to confirm that they are the light truck versions and not the Passenger car ones.
What size are you requesting?

NH_Ram

Reaction score
Regardless of brand, remember to look for the snowflake symbol to verify they're actually snow rated. For instance, you can get the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO2's in snow rated and not.
My factory Falken Wildpeak tires were great in the snow but I know these BFG's will be even better.

Attachments

• 0620201346_HDR.jpg
    0620201346_HDR.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 64

Whitenight

Reaction score
I have the falken wildpeaks on for my oem tire, there is zero road noise from them, even at 77 mph cruising. I just got the truck so I dont know how they handle snow yet, sounds like they should do well.

Another A/T to look at is the Toyo OpenCountry AT3. They are mountainpeak snow rated. I had the at2, which didn't have the peak rating yet, and they handled the Minnesota winters without any issue. I had 60000 on them when I traded the truck in and they still had enough tread to last till winter.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the falken wildpeaks on for my oem tire, there is zero road noise from them, even at 77 mph cruising. I just got the truck so I dont know how they handle snow yet, sounds like they should do well.

Another A/T to look at is the Toyo OpenCountry AT3. They are mountainpeak snow rated. I had the at2, which didn't have the peak rating yet, and they handled the Minnesota winters without any issue. I had 60000 on them when I traded the truck in and they still had enough tread to last till winter.
Nice! I thought about the Toyos but didn't want to be the guinea pig lol. What sort of gas mileage hit did you get when you started using the Wildpeaks? (Compared to the stock street tires I mean)

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Not all severe snow rated tires are created equal… Everyone keep that in mind.
Case in point I had 275/60/20 Falken Wildpeak At3w And they stuck like glue in the snow. I switched from 20 inch wheels to 17s and installed Hancook Dynapro ATM which are also severe snow rated. The very next snow I turned right at a normal speed for the conditions and lost the rear end of the truck. I was shocked… The next day I replace them with another set of Falken Wildpeak at3w. The Falkens were so much better on ice and snow. They really did Grip the road wet snow ice dirt dry… I definitely put them through their paces.

I have the factory wildpeak AT3WA now. Only gripe when I move to a larger tire for the Falken is the weight. I can’t seem to get over that fact.
If I move to the south after the winter I’ll switch to the new Toyo AT3 or ridge grappler‘s. If I end up moving before the winter I’ll definitely go to a 285/60/20 Toyo AT3.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all severe snow rated tires are created equal… Everyone keep that in mind.
Case in point I had 275/60/20 Falken Wildpeak At3w And they stuck like glue in the snow. I switched from 20 inch wheels to 17s and installed Hancook Dynapro ATM which are also severe snow rated. The very next snow I turned right at a normal speed for the conditions and lost the rear end of the truck. I was shocked… The next day I replace them with another set of Falken Wildpeak at3w. The Falkens were so much better on ice and snow. They really did Grip the road wet snow ice dirt dry… I definitely put them through their paces.

I have the factory wildpeak AT3WA now. Only gripe when I move to a larger tire for the Falken is the weight. I can’t seem to get over that fact.
If I move to the south after the winter I’ll switch to the new Toyota AT3 or ridge grappler‘s. If I end up moving before the winter I’ll definitely go to a 285/60/20 Toyo AT3.
Good point...it comes down to trial and error a lot of the time and hoping for the best. My truck will see more desert off road than snow but every year we go up to mount Charleston at least once where there's usually about 6 inches of snow on the road.... Aside from those I'm only on pavement lol.

Whitenight

Reaction score
Nice! I thought about the Toyos but didn't want to be the guinea pig lol. What sort of gas mileage hit did you get when you started using the Wildpeaks? (Compared to the stock street tires I mean)
The wildpeqks came stock, I ordered the offroad package. The other posters are correct, the oem wildpeaks are a at3wA, dunno what difference that makes them vs the at3w. Without a head wind im getting about 18 on the highway with the 3.92 rear end. Only 700 miles though, so im hoping that goes up a little.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wildpeqks came stock, I ordered the offroad package. The other posters are correct, the oem wildpeaks are a at3wA, dunno what difference that makes them vs the at3w. Without a head wind im getting about 18 on the highway with the 3.92 rear end. Only 700 miles though, so im hoping that goes up a little.
That gas mileage isn't bad for the 3.92 if you're doing around 70mph. I just looked it up though....the difference is that the AT3WA is made specifically for OEM and it's like between the P rated and LT rated ones in terms of load rating, etc...so they're better than the passenger ones but not as good at the LT ones....if that makes sense.

Whitenight

Reaction score
That gas mileage isn't bad for the 3.92 if you're doing around 70mph. I just looked it up though....the difference is that the AT3WA is made specifically for OEM and it's like between the P rated and LT rated ones in terms of load rating, etc...so they're better than the passenger ones but not as good at the LT ones....if that makes sense.
Gotcha, I'm happy with them so far. I drive around jobsites that can be super muddy and rough. The falkens have handled it so far.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
The AT3WA is typically sold outside of the United States. It’s not as aggressive as the AT3W.

Attachments

• 4DC47866-10CB-4414-AC33-3C1654739552.png
    4DC47866-10CB-4414-AC33-3C1654739552.png
    678.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 226BE61D-9C14-4F0C-B099-658BF39D55BC.jpeg
    226BE61D-9C14-4F0C-B099-658BF39D55BC.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 53

Lungs414

Reaction score
Oooo. I'll definitely check with my dealer here then, that sounds like it could be a good deal as long as they don't charge $300 per tire.
They do. I live in NYC had the Toyo at3 and within 500 miles took advantage of the one time refund / return policy. When on Long Island with smooth roads, was good but in the city absolutely horrible. Really hard ride and ruined the great ride of the truck.
Had 295/60/20.

NH_Ram

Reaction score
The factory Falken Wildpeak's are certainly a good winter tire. Did great last winter.

Attachments

• 1231190731.jpg
    1231190731.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 1231190656.jpg
    1231190656.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread