5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T that can also handle snow???

Zoompastu

Reaction score
LT rated or the P rated ones? I ordered the P rated to save a little money...and mpg"s lol.
I've had both... P275/60/20 and LT285/70/17 and liked them both. The LT's do better off road. More protection and deeper tread.

Street and dirt road is fine for the 20's but not having much sidewall on true off-road areas forced me to make the switch to the 17s and LTs

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had both... P275/60/20 and LT285/70/17 and liked them both. The LT's do better off road. More protection and deeper tread.

Street and dirt road is fine for the 20's but not having much sidewall on true off-road areas forced me to make the switch to the 17s and LTs
Makes sense. I'm sure the P's will do fine since I stuck with my stock size and 18 inch rims. Even off road shouldn't be difficult as long as I don't air down the tires much. I've heard that leaving P rated tires at 25-30 psi is close to equal with LT that's aired down to like 10 psi in terms of sidewall safety off road. (just not sharp rock crawling lol). Of course the sidewalls on the LTs are still thicker.
Funny note....discount tire tried to keep my stock all season Goodyear tires after putting the Falkens on....I was kind of pissed about that. I told them they would have to buy them off of me if they wanted them so bad haha.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my 19 limited needs tires it is going to be either Cooper AT3 or Falkens. Both with mountain symbol.
I was considering the Cooper's as well...but when I was at Discount Tire waiting for the Falkens to be put on; I saw the Cooper's in person and the sidewall tread on them is an absolute joke...I can't even believe they call them A/T tires at all...glad I didn't order those.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my 19 limited needs tires it is going to be either Cooper AT3 or Falkens. Both with mountain symbol.

I’ve been running the LT AT3’s since March and have had them in snow, rain, rough gravel and mud. They have performed really well. I have to have a LT tire and the Falkens are sooo heavy in the Lt’s, that I didn’t want that much affect on performance. Another good LT tire that the weight is good on is the Hercules Terra Trac, made by cooper, great warranty and wear well along with good mixed traction. I just hate to put 60+ lb tires on these half tons as it makes a big difference in performance.

highgear2005

Reaction score
I’ve been buying coopers LT tires for years. They are fine in the snow! My driveway is gravel and steep never had any issues with those tires. Just keep in mind no tire does well on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polo08816

Reaction score
I’ve been buying coopers LT tires for years. They are fine in the snow! My driveway is gravel and steep never had any issues with those tires. Just keep in mind no tire does well on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dedicated winter tires do much better on ice than an all season, A/T, or M/T tire. They allow you to control the vehicle much better once you transition from static friction to dynamic friction.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, I used to run Bridgestone Blizzaks on my truck for half the year when I lived in interior Alaska, night and day difference from any all terrain tire made!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been running the LT AT3’s since March and have had them in snow, rain, rough gravel and mud. They have performed really well. I have to have a LT tire and the Falkens are sooo heavy in the Lt’s, that I didn’t want that much affect on performance. Another good LT tire that the weight is good on is the Hercules Terra Trac, made by cooper, great warranty and wear well along with good mixed traction. I just hate to put 60+ lb tires on these half tons as it makes a big difference in performance.
Agreed. That's why I got the P rated Falkens...over 60lbs even on a LT stock size tire is crazy. The LTs I was considering were the KO2's...they're 53 or 55lbs... something like that. But I got such a good deal with the price match for the Wildpeaks...$823 out the door. Maybe next tire purchase will be the KO2 LT's....but that'll be a while unless we move to a place where I need to rock crawl to get to work lol!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why is everyone choosing LT over P? Because you guys haul a lot or have heavy loads?
Different reasons for sure. But 15-20 years ago you couldn't get a P rated tire for a truck ... Always had to be LT rated. Stronger sidewall and deeper tread with heavier weight is really the only difference from P rated.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why is everyone choosing LT over P? Because you guys haul a lot or have heavy loads?

Because P rated tires were created to help improve fuel mileage while marginally covering load ratings. They are made with minimum ply ratings as well as shallower tread depth to shed tire weight. People used to own trucks , specifically 4WD trucks for a reason and need, nowadays they have become mom wagons and grocery haulers for most city dwellers and the P rated tires suffice just fine.For truck owners that haul heavy weight in the bed or tow heavy trailers and often on rough roads the P’s are just a gamble til you end up with flats or blow outs. Been there done that on rough gravel roads. I remember returning from a hunting trip with a new truck wearing P rated tires where not 1 tire hadn’t been plugged, and several had multiple plugs. If you ever get a chance to examine two un mounted tires of the same size but one P and one LT, the difference is obvious.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because P rated tires were created to help improve fuel mileage while marginally covering load ratings. They are made with minimum ply ratings as well as shallower tread depth to shed tire weight. People used to own trucks , specifically 4WD trucks for a reason and need, nowadays they have become mom wagons and grocery haulers for most city dwellers and the P rated tires suffice just fine.For truck owners that haul heavy weight in the bed or tow heavy trailers and often on rough roads the P’s are just a gamble til you end up with flats or blow outs. Been there done that on rough gravel roads. I remember returning from a hunting trip with a new truck wearing P rated tires where not 1 tire hadn’t been plugged, and several had multiple plugs. If you ever get a chance to examine two un mounted tires of the same size but one P and one LT, the difference is obvious.
Very true. I just wish that the LT Wildpeaks weren't so damn heavy and more expensive...otherwise I would've bought them without giving it a second thought.

ktl5005

Reaction score
The P rated Cooper AT3s have. A load rating for 2850 per tire, think that’s more than sufficient.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The P rated Cooper AT3s have. A load rating for 2850 per tire, think that’s more than sufficient.
Yea that's about 80-100lbs more than the P rated Falkens. The only thing about the Cooper's I didn't like was the lack of sidewall tread...was pretty much non-existent

Users who are viewing this thread