5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T that can also handle snow???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a good question...so I have a guy selling the rims and the stock tires off of his Rebel for about $1,000. They are the Wranglers off road. Good deal but the only thing is...they are 275/70/18.
Mine are 275/65/18. Anyone know if that swap would work without needing to recalibrate the speedometer and all that crap...? (I'm still getting the Wildpeaks also)

Zoompastu

Reaction score
The only time you need to recalibrate is if you are going to a different diameter. The rebel tires are 33.2 inches tall and yours are 32 inches. Just set the wheels to the side and wait until you get the Falkens, Install them on the rebel wheels and all will be well.

Then snap a couple photos of the goodyears and list them on craigslist and or Facebook marketplace for $500 and watch them disappear

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only time you need to recalibrate is if you are going to a different diameter. The rebel tires are 33.2 inches tall and yours are 32 inches. Just set the wheels to the side and wait until you get the Falkens, Install them on the rebel wheels and all will be well.

Then snap a couple photos of the goodyears and list them on craigslist and or Facebook marketplace for $500 and watch them disappear
Lol I was actually thinking about doing that too. I'd like additional rims for the new tires so I can just throw my all seasons back on beginning of next summer without have to swap rims and all ....hmmmm.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Lol I was actually thinking about doing that too. I'd like additional rims for the new tires so I can just throw my all seasons back on beginning of next summer without have to swap rims and all ....hmmmm.
The Falkens ride good are not loud and last a long time. Personally I would just run them all year long.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Falkens ride good are not loud and last a long time. Personally I would just run them all year long.
That was my original plan. But I have plenty of tread left on my street tires so I'll still end up swapping them just to use those up. No gas mileage hit on the Falkens? Mine will see some seriously high temperature highway use in the summers...

Kooch80

Reaction score
why do you want to get AT's instead of a set of actual snow tires if you are going to be swapping them out?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
why do you want to get AT's instead of a set of actual snow tires if you are going to be swapping them out?
I live in Vegas, so they will only see snow once or twice a year up in Mount Charleston. The rest of the time will be mild off road and highway. Plus I can't run snow tires year round with the desert heat.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
You might take a little bit of a mileage hit with the Falkens. It won’t be much. They will do great out there in the terrain. Super familiar with driving through Nevada. I was just there last week.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might take a little bit of a mileage hit with the Falkens. It won’t be much. They will do great out there in the terrain. Super familiar with driving through Nevada. I was just there last week.
Nice! Yea I figure 1-2 mpg loss. Think I might stay with the P rated Wildpeaks since each LT rated is an extra 13 pounds per a tire...

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Hankook Dynapro ATM on my 2014 RAM and really liked them all around as a street and snow tire in MN. I didn't do any real off-roading other than forest roads but they were quiet, handled well and wore well. I had switched over from the factory Goodyear SRA tires after a few years because they were so bad. My 2019 has the Nexen OEM's and they seems good so now I am running a dedicated set of Blizzak VM2 on another set of rims for winter and the Nexen's in summer. I was thinking I'd replace the Nexen's with Dynapro ATM's based on previous experience but seems like everyone loves the Faulkens!

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Yes the Falkens are fantastic! The Dynapro ATM has been redesigned. Dynapro AT2

Attachments

• F3135F98-296B-4CEF-A5AC-E4FF5DAC8B1B.png
    F3135F98-296B-4CEF-A5AC-E4FF5DAC8B1B.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 26

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Hankook Dynapro ATM on my 2014 RAM and really liked them all around as a street and snow tire in MN. I didn't do any real off-roading other than forest roads but they were quiet, handled well and wore well. I had switched over from the factory Goodyear SRA tires after a few years because they were so bad. My 2019 has the Nexen OEM's and they seems good so now I am running a dedicated set of Blizzak VM2 on another set of rims for winter and the Nexen's in summer. I was thinking I'd replace the Nexen's with Dynapro ATM's based on previous experience but seems like everyone loves the Faulkens!
I almost got the Dynapros actually based on the recommendations from Discount Tire but I have the price match on the Falkens for around $167 per time which is a steaaaal! Plus with all of the ratings for the Wildpeaks I figured they were worth a try

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I almost got the Dynapros actually based on the recommendations from Discount Tire but I have the price match on the Falkens for around $167 per time which is a steaaaal! Plus with all of the ratings for the Wildpeaks I figured they were worth a try
If you like the DYNAPROS you will love the FALKENS

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once upon a time I absolutely loved the BF Goodrich KO2s.
When this set of duratracs wears out, I'll be looking at those first.

The duratracs aren't bad, but I honestly liked the KO2s a ton. They were just a little mushy sidewall wise.

Zoompastu

Reaction score

The duratracs aren't bad, but I honestly liked the KO2s a ton. They were just a little mushy sidewall wise.
That’s one of the nice things with the Falkens, they do not have the mushy sidewall. Really transforms the handling. The sidewall does not roll over but the ride is still soft and smooth. They do good off road aired down as well.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yea the KO2s look nice and my coworker has them. Who
That’s one of the nice things with the Falkens, they do not have the mushy sidewall. Really transforms the handling. The sidewall does not roll over but the ride is still soft and smooth. They do good off road aired down as well.
LT rated or the P rated ones? I ordered the P rated to save a little money...and mpg"s lol.

Polo08816

Reaction score
I live in Vegas, so they will only see snow once or twice a year up in Mount Charleston. The rest of the time will be mild off road and highway. Plus I can't run snow tires year round with the desert heat.
'
+1. ATs will never be as good as a set of proper winter tires on snow and ice. Especially if the surface underneath the snow/slush/ice is going to be pavement or pcaked gravel.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
To each his own, but in my experience (8-10k miles per year in winter conditions, sometimes very dicey) a good A/T tire will work great. I’ve run Cooper AT3’s, Duratracs and KO2’s on my trucks over the years...all very good in snow. I have a set of Wildpeak AT3W’s on the way and I expect they will be just as great or better.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO there are tires that do well on ice and there are tires that do well in deep snow. Many of you choosing P rated tires over LT rated tires remember that the tread is much shallower on P rated tires than LT rated tires. FWIW, bigger voids in the LT tread bite better in snow and mud than shallower voids in P rated tires.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO there are tires that do well on ice and there are tires that do well in deep snow. Many of you choosing P rated tires over LT rated tires remember that the tread is much shallower on P rated tires than LT rated tires. FWIW, bigger voids in the LT tread bite better in snow and mud than shallower voids in P rated tires.
Totally agree. Being in Vegas though....doesn't matter honestly. Doesn't snow in Vegas so it's not like I'll be seeing snow on the highway or any of that. Mild off roading, 1 trip to the snowy mountains..maybe two per year. Not much towing. All good. And I saved money plus weight.

Users who are viewing this thread