5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/T that can also handle snow???

PicRR

Reaction score
Waiting to see how the Wildpeaks work out on the new BTS (OE, I know). Have also had BFG K02's and Hankook Dynapros (ATM) through several Canadian winters on my '14 RAM. Both were good in snow (incl. deep), on hills, and ok in icy conditions. Was happy as that was my first experience with A/T's and BOTH of those sets went over 110,000 kms.

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
I like LT it’s a stiffer tire and what these truck weigh I want a tire that doesn’t give. If you look at a “P”tire on a truck that has some miles on it you will see shoulder wear (the outside and inside edge) and will probably have a bunch of tread in the middle. With a LT you will have very little shoulder wear the sidewall and tread are less for giving. P= passenger LT= light truck. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitetales

Reaction score
I've been running the Terrain Contact A/T from Continental. I love these tires because they give great winter traction yet they are not super noisy on the Hwy.
I used to run the Cooper Discoverer AT3's but the tread wears out fast. The Coopers have great traction but short tread life.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like LT it’s a stiffer tire and what these truck weigh I want a tire that doesn’t give. If you look at a “P”tire on a truck that has some miles on it you will see shoulder wear (the outside and inside edge) and will probably have a bunch of tread in the middle. With a LT you will have very little shoulder wear the sidewall and tread are less for giving. P= passenger LT= light truck. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You make a very good point...and I would've liked to get the LTs...If they weren't $90 more per tire or 61lbs each. But usually if there's more wear on the shoulders...it's because of the tire pressure. We'll see how well my P rated ones will hold up..

reidcc

Reaction score
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party on this one! I'm the new guy here, and won't even have my RAM until tomorrow. I live in a pretty rugged area of my city in central Mass, and climb roughly 3 miles up hill on a windy mountain rd. I take winter travel seriously, as my wife and I can be up and out of house before plows and sanders are out, and from my home, its almost 3 miles downhill.

I saw the comparisons in this thread between the Falken AT3W and the Cooper AT3. While I've never tried the Falkens- I have used a few sets of Cooper AT3's...my 2006 Frontier did very well, my wifes Xterra also had a set, my soms 2013 Frontier had a set of AT3's and a set of AT34S, and then on my 16 Colorado I also had a set of AT3's. I had very good luck with every set, with the exception of the set on my Colorado. I had a very hard time keeping them balanced, they wore on outer edges, and I had a number of alignments...I think it was more the truck than the tires.

When I hung around on the Colorado forums, a few folks also compared the Falkens and the Coopers(now the 4S), with many saying the Cooper was quiet. Personally- I love the looks of the Falken, and if I can find a set of Night Edition Black RIMS with them- I'd scoop them!

My RAM is a White Sport Quad Cab with the Chrome wheels, that I'm not a fan of. The tires at the Dueler HL Alenza's, and they did ride very nice when I took truck out.

Oh- I did have another tire on over the course of winter driving on my Frontier, and it did very well. Much to my surprise- the Michelin LTX did very well for a highway tread tire in snow.
Oh- and my worst tire on a truck???? As someone back a page or two mention, BFG Rugged Terrains! I had a set that came with some RIMS I bought, I'm coming down a steep straight on my hill with a good curve at bottom and there are 3 people standing in middle of road waving me to slow...I hit the brakes and slip slide away...even my ABS wasn't much help. Turns out the hill was glazed over with ice and people at bottom ended up 50 feet in woods upside down!

Chris

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party on this one! I'm the new guy here, and won't even have my RAM until tomorrow. I live in a pretty rugged area of my city in central Mass, and climb roughly 3 miles up hill on a windy mountain rd. I take winter travel seriously, as my wife and I can be up and out of house before plows and sanders are out, and from my home, its almost 3 miles downhill.

I saw the comparisons in this thread between the Falken AT3W and the Cooper AT3. While I've never tried the Falkens- I have used a few sets of Cooper AT3's...my 2006 Frontier did very well, my wifes Xterra also had a set, my soms 2013 Frontier had a set of AT3's and a set of AT34S, and then on my 16 Colorado I also had a set of AT3's. I had very good luck with every set, with the exception of the set on my Colorado. I had a very hard time keeping them balanced, they wore on outer edges, and I had a number of alignments...I think it was more the truck than the tires.

When I hung around on the Colorado forums, a few folks also compared the Falkens and the Coopers(now the 4S), with many saying the Cooper was quiet. Personally- I love the looks of the Falken, and if I can find a set of Night Edition Black RIMS with them- I'd scoop them!

My RAM is a White Sport Quad Cab with the Chrome wheels, that I'm not a fan of. The tires at the Dueler HL Alenza's, and they did ride very nice when I took truck out.

Oh- I did have another tire on over the course of winter driving on my Frontier, and it did very well. Much to my surprise- the Michelin LTX did very well for a highway tread tire in snow.
Oh- and my worst tire on a truck???? As someone back a page or two mention, BFG Rugged Terrains! I had a set that came with some RIMS I bought, I'm coming down a steep straight on my hill with a good curve at bottom and there are 3 people standing in middle of road waving me to slow...I hit the brakes and slip slide away...even my ABS wasn't much help. Turns out the hill was glazed over with ice and people at bottom ended up 50 feet in woods upside down!

Chris

yeah that was me, those rugged terrains were the worst tire I’ve ever had. I had the Wild Peak A/T3W and they are fantastic. I currently have the Wild Peak A/T3WA version that came stock on my truck and they appear to be very nice tires as well. I’m going to give them a go this winter and see how they do.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Chris
I ended up with he Falken Wildpeaks. Haven't tested then in snow yet (obviously) but I saw the Cooper's while at discount tire the the sidewall tread was an absolute joke to me. So far the off payment bite of the Falkens has proven to be very capable and I think if you really compare the tread...the Falkens seem to be the best. I've also been using them on the hot summer highways without issue...smooth ride.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah that was me, those rugged terrains were the worst tire I’ve ever had. I had the Wild Peak A/T3W and they are fantastic. I currently have the Wild Peak A/T3WA version that came stock on my truck and they appear to be very nice tires as well. I’m going to give them a go this winter and see how they do.
If it means anything....I got the standard P rated Falkens Wildpeaks A/T3W

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
when I had the them I got the P rated ones as well. My usage doesn’t require the need for LT tires
Technically I should've gotten the LT, but not at 64 pounds per tire lol. Besides...a inflated P rated tire is almost as sturdy as a moderately aired down LT anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread