5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Didn't make it to the dealer today so I'll have to reschedule tomorrow and see when the next window they have is.

Moe1962

Reaction score
I've been following this since I bought my truck last year and I have always thought mine worked fine. So, I bought an HVAC thermometer the other day to test it with the thermometer in the drivers vent. It was 113 degrees in my truck when I got in (it had been sitting in the sun all day). I set the temp on max ac and took a drive. after 5 miles, it was down to 50 and that's as cold as it got in about an hour. To make a comparison, the next day I drove my Altima with the thermometer in the drovers vent and after the same 5 mile drive, it was down to 50 (the Altima was parked in the garage and the outside temp was 80). Had it set to max ac also. after the same hour drive, I took it off max fan, and the temp dropped to 40. Now that I have compared the two, and a 20 degree ambient air temp, I'm ok with the way my ac performs and it aligns with the chart someone posted early in this thread. It's cold enough for me. The only other thing I observed with the truck, when the ac is off and windows down, the foot well gets hot. Had to look to make sure the ac system was off and not on heat.

ac1dd

Reaction score
To make a comparison, the next day I drove my Altima with the thermometer in the drovers vent and after the same 5 mile drive, it was down to 50 (the Altima was parked in the garage and the outside temp was 80). Had it set to max ac also. after the same hour drive, I took it off max fan, and the temp dropped to 40.

That's because your Altima AC is working very efficiently, and the RAM unit isn't. Most correctly operating modern car ACs can get down to about 41-42 even in 100 F temps.

I'll be just as interested to know the cause of the issue with the new Rams as much as how they will repair the issue.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
That's because your Altima AC is working very efficiently, and the RAM unit isn't. Most correctly operating modern car ACs can get down to about 41-42 even in 100 F temps.

I'll be just as interested to know the cause of the issue with the new Rams as much as how they will repair the issue.
Easy. They redesigned the HVAC system for the DT trucks. They removed Heater Control Valve (HCV) and went with Ducting/Blend doors ref AC/HEAT. Removing a valve allows all that 200 degree plus water to recirculate through yer Heater Core when AC running, so your system is fighting the Heater Core to cool truck. Really stupid, sorry azz design change. That is the issue, IMHO..... REPAIR: I do not see RAM putting in a valve, because it would have to be a solenoid type, that actuates, tied into TIPM/BCM/HVAC, and programming and such. It would be an amazement if FCA did ne thing, all IMHO.....

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
I had an interesting observation over the weekend. I am another case of poor A/C performance and I'll typically close vents to areas of the cab that are not occupied. It was 100+ degree day I noticed the fan blower laboring a bit at speed 7. I decided to open all the vents and it was a night and day difference, ice cold temps and the bower was a lot quieter. It took 10 minutes to cool the cab down enough to lower the fan speed. My theory, just like residential HVAC you shouldn't close vents to unoccupied rooms as this will create a back pressure on the system and cause the A/C motor to work harder and less efficient.

I won't say that I am 100% happy with the A/C performance but it did improve it substantially. I'd be interested to see if folks who are having poor A/C performance are closing off vents in their trucks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had an interesting observation over the weekend. I am another case of poor A/C performance and I'll typically close vents to areas of the cab that are not occupied. It was 100+ degree day I noticed the fan blower laboring a bit at speed 7. I decided to open all the vents and it was a night and day difference, ice cold temps and the bower was a lot quieter. It took 10 minutes to cool the cab down enough to lower the fan speed. My theory, just like residential HVAC you shouldn't close vents to unoccupied rooms as this will create a back pressure on the system and cause the A/C motor to work harder and less efficient.

I won't say that I am 100% happy with the A/C performance but it did improve it substantially. I'd be interested to see if folks who are having poor A/C performance are closing off vents in their trucks.
While it doesn't change the actual vent temperatures, you're absolutely right about keeping the vents open. My wife was always closing the passenger side vents, so I started playing with the Auto A/C settings until she didn't feel like she needed to close them anymore. With the driver's side at 70 and passenger side at 73, she's comfortable and I'm plenty cool. Win-win!

aedhasdad

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with the rear vents not blowing very hard? any tips?
Mine is analogue not digital (knob not touch screen).

turkeybird56

Reaction score

Well, nope, seems to do well. Actually, my rear vents not as strong as front, BUT, they R colder, 2-5 degrees colder than the front. ALSO, I started a thread ref Drain Issues. IF U have a 2019, U best check under the hood and insure drain clear/draining also. Mine wasn't and I had to clear it.

(https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...9-gen-5-dt-truck-location-drain-issues.22863/)

Papcie03

Reaction score
Like others, the AC performance in my 2020 crew cab isn't nearly sufficient on a hot day in VA. I've done measurements in 95-100 degree weather at the vent and get 65-70F at the vents pulling in outside air and 60-65F on recirc. After 30-plus minutes of driving, those temps drop maybe another 5 degrees but if I go off recirc, the AC can't keep up. Had the truck at two different dealers. Dealer one "operating as designed." Dealer two, after a lengthy discussion on how to reproduce the issue (ie need a hot day, truck is heat soaked) they say "operating as designed, customer should note on hot days, vehicle may take longer to cool." Read the work order and the service writer only noted "customer complains AC not blowing cold" Guess I need to demand to talk to the mechanic directly.

On the topic of the repair part mentioned by RAM Cares, I contacted them and the case was elevated. Was told to take it back to a dealer but I've already wasted 3 days. The claims manager I spoke with said FCA has no knowledge of frequent complaints regarding AC performance on our trucks and no information on any planned repair parts. She also told me the people who monitor these threads have zero connection to the FCA case managers or engineers so I guess follow-on for RAM cares... What gives?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While it is not as strong as the front vents like turkeybird56 said, the rear vents are ducted from the dash line. The rear vents will blow strongest when on the dash only setting. Anything else and you are diverting airflow away from the rear vents and they will not blow nearly as hard.

The AUTO function uses the dash only setting which I would guess is why the rear vents come off of that duct, whether you have that feature or not.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Those dealers that claim they don't know about AC complaints are LYING.
Time to find other dealers that are at least honest about the issue.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those dealers that claim they don't know about AC complaints are LYING.
Time to find other dealers that are at least honest about the issue.

All your have to do is direct them to the post from @RamCares where they admit they know about the issue and are working on it.

Lize

Reaction score
I haven't been on the forum in ages have been meaning to make a post about my AC. Last summer it was rubbish and I thought I'd clamp it off before this summer but never got round to it. This summer has been just as hot if not hotter and the AC miraculously has been keeping up. No vent temperatures to compare but it is much better, will cool down from hot in reasonable time and maintain a steady low temperature and seems perfectly good. Doesn't seem possible as nothing has changed but I'm happy with it.

jjhall8

Reaction score
I really hope this gets fixed. I was going this weekend to order a Rebel but I will now wait. Bought a new 2019 Silverado last year and I do not like it much not to mention a few of the issues i've had with it. I live in Florida so ac is really important to me. Between the ac and the rear window leaks I will now be waiting. I don't have a lot of confidence that they will fix these things. Anyone know if they have done anything to correct the the exhaust manifold bolts breaking or the lifter failures.

starbai

Reaction score
Planning on pulling the trigger on a 2020 Limited thats currently 'in transit' to the dealer.... but I've read a few pages of this thread now and I'm concerned. I'm in Florida with an 8 month old baby. I'd really like to have an efficent A/C system if I'm spending 70k on a truck.

ac1dd

Reaction score
. This summer has been just as hot if not hotter and the AC miraculously has been keeping up. No vent temperatures to compare but it is much better
You may have changed. Lol
You really need to use a thermometer to know for certain. Posting like you have isnt helpful really. Buy a cheap thermometer and post back with vent temps. Thanks

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on pulling the trigger on a 2020 Limited thats currently 'in transit' to the dealer.... but I've read a few pages of this thread now and I'm concerned. I'm in Florida with an 8 month old baby. I'd really like to have an efficent A/C system if I'm spending 70k on a truck.
Sometimes these forums have a way of making you see things as worse than they really are! Go get your truck, test it out, and make your decision then. You might be disappointed in the A/C, or you might find out that your truck is perfectly comfortable!

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its okay to be concerned but Id wait til your truck actually arrives and then test drive it on a hot day and see how it feels. Wouldn't hurt to bring a thermometer with you on the test drive. Some people get trucks that have good AC, others dont. Me and my buddy are 0 for 4 on new 5th gen trucks with good AC, but you might get lucky.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all, we wanted to touch base to provide an update on this matter. We have been advised that a campaign will be launched in relation to this concern during Q4 of 2020. With that, we will be sure to post out here as soon as we are provided more information. Thank you all for your continued patience!

-RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread