5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Morenar

Reaction score
Planning on pulling the trigger on a 2020 Limited thats currently 'in transit' to the dealer.... but I've read a few pages of this thread now and I'm concerned. I'm in Florida with an 8 month old baby. I'd really like to have an efficent A/C system if I'm spending 70k on a truck.
I can say that my 2021 Laramie has no problem with cooling. I live in Florida as well and I have my ac on 74 and it cools down quickly and continues to blow cold air with no issues.

Taessi

Reaction score
The little bubble on the dash kinda near windshield is a Light Sensor, used by system when U have Autolight on, not a temp sensor. IIRC, outside temp sensor is in Drivers outside mirror. Inside not sure, may be in headliner.
Yeah I want sure what the Bubble does.

However i know the sensor is using inside temperature somehow. Like I said I can put up my son visit and my outside temp will go down to the 60s when it was over 100 outside sitting in the sun.

When this happens the ac stops blowing at full speed, and will eventually come to a point that barely any air is moving, and outside temp will be almost 60, even though it's at over 100. That's why I was thinking it's that bubble, but maybe it's in the dash then.

If it's in the mirror then there is something seriously wrong with the way they are getting to the final temp number that's displayed as outside temp.

I know in my challenger I could go into a hidden menus and see the actual sensors and what they were reading. I haven't found a way to do this on the team yet.

Taessi

Reaction score
Take the truck in for a software update for the parking sensors. There's a TSB for it. I had it done under TSB 08-047-19 but that was over a year ago. There might be a newer one out there.

I had the same issue (especially in the rain or backing down a sloped driveway going into the street). The software update made it 90% better for me.
Ok so I looked at the door frame, my truck was built 4-19, just outside of the tsb (4-11). I did have the sticker for the v71 campaign completed, that's the fault module that can set off the air bags.

I'll give fca a call and see if I can file to have this checked. Possibly since my build date was so close it was missed.

Thank you for the information!

For anyone that wants a direct link to the tsb for the rear sensors for the ram 1500s, I'll post the link here.

ac1dd

Reaction score
I can say that my 2021 Laramie has no problem with cooling. I live in Florida as well and I have my ac on 74 and it cools down quickly and continues to blow cold air with no issues.
Care to post a reply with a probe thermometer in the drivers vent with max AC on,
Folks that post their car cools fine aren't providing any data to back it up, what might be cool to you might be warm to somebody else.

FYI with mobile AC systems in the modern day if the ambient temp is 95 F and the humidity is 50%
you should be able to get a vent temp of at least 42 F at max cool with the car running for 15 minutes or so.
If it is lower that's great but higher than that and the system isn't performing to industry standards.
many cars in those ambient temps can see vent temps of 38 F, so figure the standard is between 38-42 F.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Care to post a reply with a probe thermometer in the drivers vent with max AC on,
Folks that post their car cools fine aren't providing any data to back it up, what might be cool to you might be warm to somebody else.

FYI with mobile AC systems in the modern day if the ambient temp is 95 F and the humidity is 50%
you should be able to get a vent temp of at least 42 F at max cool with the car running for 15 minutes or so.
If it is lower that's great but higher than that and the system isn't performing to industry standards.
many cars in those ambient temps can see vent temps of 38 F, so figure the standard is between 38-42 F.

THE only way I get those vent temps is if I clamp down output hose to Heater Core. Otherwise, stays in the 50's...................

edvinsheperd9

Reaction score
Not sure about the HVAC issue, but I can confirm that the sensors in the back need serious work. I suffer from the same issue as you when I'm backing up towards the street. My driveway has a slight angle downwards and the truck, more often than not, slams on the brakes. This happens sometimes in level ground as well. My S90, a significantly lower vehicle, does not do this astroworldmerch. Like you, I now disable that feature when backing up on my driveway. However, it is good to see that cross traffic alert still works when the rear parking sensors are disabled.
facing the same issue, please someone help

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Not sure when your truck was built but there’s a TSB for this and a software revision.

TSB is for early built 2018's thru Sep 2018. I had done on my truck. Helped just a "LIL" bit, in other words, not. SO either FCA will come out with a better fix (allegedly as "reported" here by RAM Cares), (Not sure how much I put faith in that), to just gonna either again clamp the heater core line or go ahead and bite the bullet and just put in a manual valve).

revvr

Reaction score
Where can read more about this hack?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where can read more about this hack?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Make a pot of coffee first...

turkeybird56

Reaction score
$60K truck and I have to clamp hoses in the engine bay to get cold A/C???? :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to our universe. The AC issues are hit and miss. Some of the MY 19/20's doing OK, others, and I am in that group, not so well. OH, and not clamp both hoses, just output from water pump to heater core.

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
Hi all, we wanted to touch base to provide an update on this matter. We have been advised that a campaign will be launched in relation to this concern during Q4 of 2020. With that, we will be sure to post out here as soon as we are provided more information. Thank you all for your continued patience!

-RamCares
Nice mine has the same AC issues

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Nice mine has the same AC issues

I would not hold yer breath on that Particular Allegedly Fix/Update. I talked to my SA, and he stated, NO SUCH animal he knows of, just saying. Only the TSB out for the early built MY 19's

ac1dd

Reaction score
I would not hold yer breath on that Particular Allegedly Fix/Update. I talked to my SA, and he stated, NO SUCH animal he knows of, just saying. Only the TSB out for the early built MY 19's
Wrong. Mant times the dealership SA dont know anything about such service actions until they are officially released and put into action at the dealer level. They might find out a day or two before such a program begins.

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
So I do believe this has to be a programming or sensor issue mine also has a strange heat issue when its cold out the heater seems to super heat even in manual mode if I set the temp to 64 degrees and it’s 40 degrees out my heater blows well over 150 degrees out of the vents for about 20 minutes. The other day I put my hand on the inside temp sensor below the steering column rubbed the plastic to heat it up and my heater cooled way down blowing only at about 80 degrees. I have done that twice now with the same effect.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
So I do believe this has to be a programming or sensor issue mine also has a strange heat issue when its cold out the heater seems to super heat even in manual mode if I set the temp to 64 degrees and it’s 40 degrees out my heater blows well over 150 degrees out of the vents for about 20 minutes. The other day I put my hand on the inside temp sensor below the steering column rubbed the plastic to heat it up and my heater cooled way down blowing only at about 80 degrees. I have done that twice now with the same effect.

Honestly, dunno, maybe U R on to something. Guess we shall all see maybe..................

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Finally was able to keep an appointment at the dealer for a variety of issues. This is the one that is pertinent to this thread.

Customer states that the AC is not blowing as cold as it was when purchased.

Hi and Lo shreader leaking, seal at suction line leaking, humidity upon inspection confirmed customer concern. Found that AC temp was aprox 7 deg F higher than it should be for the current humidity and temp. Checked temp and pressures, found pressures to be low. Using leak detector and UV light found 3 leaks. PA parts for repair.

So apparently my AC system was leaking. Just waiting on parts. The tech said the leaks were real hard to find and using the UV light was the key to finding them.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Finally was able to keep an appointment at the dealer for a variety of issues. This is the one that is pertinent to this thread.

Customer states that the AC is not blowing as cold as it was when purchased.

Hi and Lo shreader leaking, seal at suction line leaking, humidity upon inspection confirmed customer concern. Found that AC temp was aprox 7 deg F higher than it should be for the current humidity and temp. Checked temp and pressures, found pressures to be low. Using leak detector and UV light found 3 leaks. PA parts for repair.

So apparently my AC system was leaking. Just waiting on parts. The tech said the leaks were real hard to find and using the UV light was the key to finding them.
Schrader valves? I think you meant? That is pretty surprising if the system was never worked on before it left the factory. So did they clarify where the leaks were? They should have listed the parts needed to repair the leaking parts.

When you get the car back ask the SA to clarify which parts they replaced besides the schrader valves. And put a thermometer in the vent and get a temp reading and post it here, thanks.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
That's how they spelled it on the sheet :D They didn't list the part numbers that they ordered.

Last time it was in for the 3rd brake light and shark fin they didn't list the part numbers until after they came in. So hopefully they list them when they come in, if not I'll make sure to ask for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/