5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Hi all, we wanted to touch base to provide an update on this matter. We have been advised that a campaign will be launched in relation to this concern during Q4 of 2020. With that, we will be sure to post out here as soon as we are provided more information. Thank you all for your continued patience!

-RamCares

Thank you RamCares, are you able to elaborate on what campaign can/could mean? Asking because I am not in the automotive industry and have only heard it used in marketing terms and I'm sure that is not what is intended in this case.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Planning on pulling the trigger on a 2020 Limited thats currently 'in transit' to the dealer.... but I've read a few pages of this thread now and I'm concerned. I'm in Florida with an 8 month old baby. I'd really like to have an efficent A/C system if I'm spending 70k on a truck.

Different people like the feel of different temperature air, so it will be 100% subjective and in my opinion it will depend on how you use/store the truck. I've had two 5th gens and live in Texas and they cooled good enough because 1) I had ceramic tint all around (even windshield) 2) don't have the pano roof (some say it makes a difference) 3) I park in my garage at home and a parking garage at work so 80%+ of the time I get in the car the cab doesn't have to cool down much.

From a technical perspective when people correctly measure the ambient air and AC vent temps these trucks are "in spec" from the factory, just don't expect to get 45F air from the vents in a true 100F ambient day, the system is just not built for that from the factory.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Different people like the feel of different temperature air, so it will be 100% subjective and in my opinion it will depend on how you use/store the truck. I've had two 5th gens and live in Texas and they cooled good enough because 1) I had ceramic tint all around (even windshield) 2) don't have the pano roof (some say it makes a difference) 3) I park in my garage at home and a parking garage at work so 80%+ of the time I get in the car the cab doesn't have to cool down much.

From a technical perspective when people correctly measure the ambient air and AC vent temps these trucks are "in spec" from the factory, just don't expect to get 45F air from the vents in a true 100F ambient day, the system is just not built for that from the factory.

Thats all great and dandy but many of us can’t get 45 deg air when it’s 70 deg outside and cloudy. There is clearly a defect in many trucks , and now FCA is admitting what many of us have been complaining about for 2 years! Hopefully it doesn’t require them pulling dashes because that’s going to create a whole new round of problems for people.

ldoh

Reaction score
That is awesome news. Fingers crossed it's effective.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Hi all, we wanted to touch base to provide an update on this matter. We have been advised that a campaign will be launched in relation to this concern during Q4 of 2020. With that, we will be sure to post out here as soon as we are provided more information. Thank you all for your continued patience!

-RamCares

WELL HECK make sure I am on that list, LOL..............................

ldoh

Reaction score

No doubt there are conditions that can substantially reduce the effects but it doesn't solve the inherent problem.

As has been said many times, "in spec" can be anything FCA wants it to be for production quality/warranty work and doesn't mean it meets the industry standard. Of course a few lawsuits can always change that.

Chris_R

Reaction score

-RamCares

Should be interesting. Fingers crossed it is something that helps.

Reaction score
This was THE FIRST thing I noticed when test driving my 19 Laramie last week. I brought it up with the sales and service team and was assured it was performing to standard. It was about 80 degrees and I noticed the ac was set on "lo" and fan on high. I thought that was strange so I set it to my normal auto at 72 and never really cooled off during the 30 minutes I was out.

I bought it anyway but damn, I miss the icy ac my 15 had.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in a 1500 Classic loaner right now (Tradesman V-6). The A/C is an ice box compared to mine.

As much as I’d love icicles on my eyelids in the summer I’ll take my 5th gen over a 4th gen any day.

PostPremium

Reaction score
I’m in a 1500 Classic loaner right now (Tradesman V-6). The A/C is an ice box compared to mine.

As much as I’d love icicles on my eyelids in the summer I’ll take my 5th gen over a 4th gen any day.
Just unfortunate that Ram allowed the AC in the 5th gen to be worse than the 4th. Wonder why that was ok with them...

revvr

Reaction score

-RamCares

Subscribed. My truck has the same issue. While AC does eventually cool the truck down for it to remain comfortable, it takes significant time for the AC to do so. My S90 can cool itself down within 4 minutes of starting the engine. It takes me half an hour to get the temperature stabilized to a comfortable level on my Rebel provided I'm able to find a freeway quickly. The Start/Stop makes cooling more difficult when in city traffic.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm coming from a 2003 F-250 (same blend door concept with constantly circulating water through the heater core). I did the ball valve "hack" to that truck 10 years ago. Before I did that it was back sweat city if the sun was out and hotter than 70F (and I had perforated leather seats).

My dad's 2006 Chevy 2500 is ridiculous. Even on the hottest day I don't think I've had it more than fan speed 3 (out of 5) on the hottest day...and forget about recirc, I'd poke holes through my t-shirt. ;)

Mine is somewhere inbetween but, at this price point, it would be nice if it was more efficient at cooling the cab faster (as revvr mentioned).

Chris_R

Reaction score

-RamCares

Any further information that a be provided @RamCares ? My truck is ready to go back to the shop for the 5th time for AC issues.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is fantastic news! Can't wait to see what the fix entails

Taessi

Reaction score
Hello there,

I tried to look through many of the posts as I could here, and searched too.

Has anyone brought up anything about the climate control system being set to "low", the max setting, and have the system slowing your fan to nearly stopping?

Specifically with mine, here in Albuquerque it gets in the upper 90s and lower 100s. Well I can start my truck (temp us saying it's 180 outside), drive 5 minutes and get to a car wash (outside temp down to 100). Then when I go through the car wash, my outside temp will read 70 or less after the wash.

This drop in temperature (i think is a drop below 70) causes my low set ac to slow to a dip and it won't get back to blowing until outside temperature is well into the 80s (usually 8 or do minutes of driving). I can take the climate control off auto and get it to blow sometimes, but not always.

To compound this problem, if I'm parked, put up a sun shade, running the climate control on low my 'supposed' outside temperature will start dropping, sometimes very rapidly. Once it gets under that threshold temperature it will start slowing and stopping the climate control system. I've seen the outside temperature, on a 100+ day, say the temperature is 56.

So I'm thinking the problems I'm having are two fold. First being some sort of software issue is forcing my climate control to not actually run max seeing at all times when set to low.

Secondly the outside temperature sensor either does 1 or more of a few things such as; reads in the vehicle cab and outside to determine actual temperature (don't think it's this one), or it is in that little bubble in the dash up by the windshield. I'm thinking this bubble used IR to read the temperature outside. Think like the laser thermometers you can buy.

Honestly I think this second problem is because if that bubble reading outside temperature and when the windshield is covered it only reads the temp of what's covering it, like a sun visor. I proved this several times, by first getting the temperature in can stable at low setting, still running max speed, then put up my sun shade, in about 5 minutes my outside temp will start dropping. I repeated this at least 5 or 6 times and it roasts perfectly. Lowest temp I got going this on a 100 degree day was 56.

These false temperatures keep making things annoying. And just add to the list of things driving me away from MOPAR. I am still a huge fan though, just annoyed with these trucks. My challenge and charger are great, other than the charger runs half speed climate control fan in the summer but full speed fan in the winter for some weird reason.

Thank you,
Taessi

(This doesn't belong here i can remove it)

Another big issue I've been having is the horribly designed rear breaking automated system. I've left probably 30 skid for makes in my drive way because my drive was is slammed and causes this to trigger. I've disabled that safety feature, I liked it in my other vehicles but my rebel and the 2020 1500 bighorn I drove are implemented horribly.

revvr

Reaction score
Not sure about the HVAC issue, but I can confirm that the sensors in the back need serious work. I suffer from the same issue as you when I'm backing up towards the street. My driveway has a slight angle downwards and the truck, more often than not, slams on the brakes. This happens sometimes in level ground as well. My S90, a significantly lower vehicle, does not do this. Like you, I now disable that feature when backing up on my driveway. However, it is good to see that cross traffic alert still works when the rear parking sensors are disabled.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another big issue I've been having is the horribly designed rear breaking automated system. I've left probably 30 skid for makes in my drive way because my drive was is slammed and causes this to trigger. I've disabled that safety feature, I liked it in my other vehicles but my rebel and the 2020 1500 bighorn I drove are implemented horribly.
Take the truck in for a software update for the parking sensors. There's a TSB for it. I had it done under TSB 08-047-19 but that was over a year ago. There might be a newer one out there.

I had the same issue (especially in the rain or backing down a sloped driveway going into the street). The software update made it 90% better for me.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
The little bubble on the dash kinda near windshield is a Light Sensor, used by system when U have Autolight on, not a temp sensor. IIRC, outside temp sensor is in Drivers outside mirror. Inside not sure, may be in headliner.

Reaction score
Not sure about the HVAC issue, but I can confirm that the sensors in the back need serious work. I suffer from the same issue as you when I'm backing up towards the street. My driveway has a slight angle downwards and the truck, more often than not, slams on the brakes. This happens sometimes in level ground as well. My S90, a significantly lower vehicle, does not do this. Like you, I now disable that feature when backing up on my driveway. However, it is good to see that cross traffic alert still works when the rear parking sensors are disabled.
Same issue. Disabled what could be a really nice feature. I'll have to look into the TSB.

Users who are viewing this thread