5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
My A/C was pretty bad before, I live in Arizona, I had to hack it.
Took it to the dealer, They recharged the system with the correct amount of freon, and now it blows very cold, I'm very happy with it...
June average was 105+ here in Chandler and the A/C was great, got down to temp pretty quick and i had to lower the fan speed after about 5 minutes of max speed.
Didn't even have to use the "MAX AC" feature...
These systems just leave the assembly line undercharged, Pretty easy fix.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer, They recharged the system with the correct amount of freon, and now it blows very cold, I'm very happy with it...
June average was 105+ here in Chandler and the A/C was great, got down to temp pretty quick and i had to lower the fan speed after about 5 minutes of max speed.
What dealership did you go to? I'm in Phx also and my AC needs some help.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the one issue that has stopped me from making my new truck purchase. I live in triple digit, high humidity summers. Test drove a 2020 when it was only in the 90s outside and the AC did not cut it. If they get this issue fixed, I go to the dealer the next day and make my purchase.

I was where you are last year and decided to go for it anyway. The Ram is just so much superior to the competition that I could not forgo it due to limited AC....so I remote start it in the summer time and it is acceptable.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you possibly record your vent temps prior to and after the recharge? I want to take mine in for this before i clamp the lines.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Did you possibly record your vent temps prior to and after the recharge? I want to take mine in for this before i clamp the lines.
That's what the tech wrote. I find it to be pretty accurate. My test showed 60 before recharge and 42 after.
Screenshot_20200709-152842_Gallery.jpg

JPinAZ

Reaction score

Manny, Which dealer did you take it to? I'm in east Mesa. Did they measure if it was low, or just put a little extra in above the recommended fill level, or it was actually low and they brought it up to spec? I ask because I've read from some members here that had mentioned that the listed standard spec for filling the system may be a little low from what is actually needed.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
That's what the tech wrote. I find it to be pretty accurate. My test showed 60 before recharge and 42 after.
View attachment 61353
Manny, Which dealer did you take it to? I'm in east Mesa. Did they measure if it was low, or just put a little extra in above the recommended fill level, or it was actually low and they brought it up to spec? I ask because I've read from some members here that had mentioned that the listed standard spec for filling the system may be a little low from what is actually needed.
Hey Man! You can check my last post, the ac system had 492g and they recharge it to spec: 510g.

Took it to Tempe Ram...

gorilla57

Reaction score
Hey RamCares.......where's this "magical" cure that you spoke of a month ago? Even after the dealer filled my system up to spec AND using a clamp, I am only getting 52deg out of the driver's vent. This is absurd, my JL Wrangler blows out 44-46deg in the same exact situation, so I know there's something wrong with the 1500 setup.

KcRay

Reaction score
Hey RamCares.......where's this "magical" cure that you spoke of a month ago? Even after the dealer filled my system up to spec AND using a clamp, I am only getting 52deg out of the driver's vent. This is absurd, my JL Wrangler blows out 44-46deg in the same exact situation, so I know there's something wrong with the 1500 setup.
Are you sure you have the clamp on the inlet hose going to the heater core? It will be the top hose, (of the two going into the heater core). Down at the water pump it will be the out hose, going to the heater core. You also need to close off the clamp completely. Let us know.

gorilla57

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the clamp on the inlet hose going to the heater core? It will be the top hose, (of the two going into the heater core). Down at the water pump it will be the out hose, going to the heater core. You also need to close off the clamp completely. Let us know.

Yup, clamped just like you have described. This is why it has helped some, but there has to be a better fix.......

KcRay

Reaction score
Yup, clamped just like you have described. This is why it has helped some, but there has to be a better fix.......
Yeah, something different must be going on with yours, you should be deep into the 40s, with no hot water going to the core. When your truck is hot, like after getting home from a drive, leave it running, open the hood, and grab the top hose up at the heater core. If it has hot water running through it, you'll know right away, (if it's so hot you can't hold it).If that's the case you'll know you still have hot water getting into the core.

Hogzfan

Reaction score
One week old Ram 1500 Ecodiesel here. My a/c is a problem like all the others mentioned. I noticed it at the dealership at pickup, and they checked the pressure and temps. They said it was within spec. But I have a been measuring the temps, and they fluctuate between 43-58, mostly hovering around 53-55 with it being 85 outside (high humidity). I ordered a temp recorder with logging capability for $36 on Amazon. I will keep up with it for a week or so and go from there.
I have logged the vent temps a couple of times. Today I logged the cabin temp (I place the probe head-height, on the passenger side), them moved the temp sensor probe into the vent, and then back to cabin location. The vents were not aimed at it.
- Date, time and truck reported temp is in the name of each file
- Avg outside temp (internet): 88.7
- Avg outside temp (truck sensor): 99.5
- 6.8 degree delta
- Avg vent temp: 55.2 (highest avg 58, lowest avg 53)
- No avg taken for cabin temp, just one measurement so far, it avg'd 80-81 degrees when it was 94 (internet)/102 (truck) outside over 20+ mins of driving.

The run/record times vary but can be seen on the bottom of each log. This is not a scientific method, and the sample size is way to small. But I wanted to know what was happening with some perspective. Most of the time I feel it is "ok", and I aim the vent air at me, and I can get cold enough to move it away. I can't say much for the rear seat temp yet.

Attachments

• 7-7-20 1624 @ 95F Vent.PNG
    7-7-20 1624 @ 95F Vent.PNG
    122.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 7-10-20 1647L @ 95F Vent.PNG
    7-10-20 1647L @ 95F Vent.PNG
    114.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 7-13-20 1754 @ 90F Vent.PNG
    7-13-20 1754 @ 90F Vent.PNG
    119.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 7-20-20 1432 @ 101F Vent & Cabin.PNG
    7-20-20 1432 @ 101F Vent & Cabin.PNG
    132.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Temp Sensor Probe Location.jpg
    Temp Sensor Probe Location.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 39

Glenn141

Reaction score
Being in Florida I started to feel the AC was under performing so I did the hack by installing an in line pecs valve on the water line leading to the heater core and guess what, It made a HUGE difference! Now the truck cools down quickly. These trucks absolutley have a blend door issue and when you stop the warm air merging it is fixed.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
O
I'm in the adequate/fine camp but will welcome any increase in performance to a machine I own, a/c, or otherwise.
H YEAH, it gets 100-110 here in August every day,,but FCA as we all know not in a hurry, BUT we can hope, all IMHO.....

Reaction score
Just traded in my 17 Laramie for a 20. A/C sucked on both of them. Hope they get this fixed. I was gonna take it to the dealer to check out, but it seems like the A/C just sucks. My truck was built 6/2020.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Just traded in my 17 Laramie for a 20. A/C sucked on both of them. Hope they get this fixed. I was gonna take it to the dealer to check out, but it seems like the A/C just sucks. My truck was built 6/2020.

Yesuh, AC suks. Looks like luck of the drawer. U could do the AC hack if U felt so inclined. Big thing on rumor ref RAM working on problem alleged by RAM Cares, I would take that with a grain of salt.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Truck goes in tomorrow for the ac and stumbling issues. I've noticed that in cooler temps (mid 80s) the ac seems to perform better. Once the temps hit 90+ the performance of the ac falls well below acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online