5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just been advised that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #24-001-20) has been released that appears to address concerns similar to the symptoms that are described in this thread. To ensure this TSB applies, please schedule an appointment with your dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Please send us a private message if you have any further questions, thank you.
1606245173677.png

Kathryn
RamCares

revvr

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Powerwagon20

Reaction score
So new to the forum just bought a new 2020 Power wagon and the AC sucks compared to my 17 Rebel I traded in. The TSB does not apply as my door sticker shows a 8/20 build date. I hope they come out with something else. Other than that I love the truck.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting that 2021s are not on this list...does this mean this has already been done for them?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I can say is they show the cut off date in the TSB to be for trucks built before July 30, 2020...mine was built at the end of August 2020 and has a stellar A/C system with zero issues and cold as heck.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hope it fixes it for everyone who has a problem. It's a shame with such nice trucks that one has to deal with substandard A/C. Now all they need to do is keep up the momentum and fix a few more of the annoyances (rear sliding window crack/leak, 12" radio issues, etc.) to build more confidence with current and potential owners.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I appreciate the heads up on the service bulletin. Likely the dealer will look at it and tell me mine is not part of the service bulletin, warm AC is standard for your VIN.. If it was built before July 30, 2020 all should apply, we will see who the good dealers are.

snj1013

Reaction score
I just made an appointment to get my 2019 Ram looked at with the TSB in place. Previously I was told my truck was "normal".

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about that...nice they found a fix in the dead of winter. All A/Cs in the northern states should be blowing super cold right now thus “normal operation based upon the temps blowing out today!”

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just been advised that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #24-001-20) has been released that appears to address concerns similar to the symptoms that are described in this thread. To ensure this TSB applies, please schedule an appointment with your dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the TSB and specifics of your vehicle. Please send us a private message if you have any further questions, thank you.
View attachment 74787

Kathryn
RamCares
@RamCares,

Would you post the rest of the TSB which shows the repair procedure involved please? Thanks in advance!

RamLink83

Reaction score
@RamCares,

Would you post the rest of the TSB which shows the repair procedure involved please? Thanks in advance!
Yeah, I'm wondering why they didn't post what the repair involves. I'm a bit worried it's gonna be a big job ripping the dash apart. If that's the case I'll deal with the sub par AC.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See below

Thank you NorthStar.

I did some research on the part numbers. Long story short, looks like overall dealer parts MSRP would be in the neighborhood of $225-$250 for a 2019-2020 DT. But holy buckets, the labor! 11.7 hours of work, wow.

EDIT: As others pointed out, I misread the TSB. Its actually about half that (labor wise) for the DT trucks, I accidentally added the DT and other trucks labor together.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They will have a backlog a mile long for months...too many trucks, not enough technicians with enough hours in the week to get more than three a week completed.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looked like the labor is split by truck type: DT is 5.0, the other types are 5.6. Both get the .6, .3, etc., add-on labor for minor work.

Total labor for a DT ~ 6 hours, per the TSB.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looked like the labor is split by truck type: DT is 5.0, the other types are 5.6. Both get the .6, .3, etc., add-on labor for minor work.

Total labor for a DT ~ 6 hour, per the TSB
The way I read the TSB is it indicates “2 - Skilled” so doesn’t that mean two techs thus you double the hours? So 10.6 for DT and 11.8 for other types?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way I read the TSB is it indicates “2 - Skilled” so doesn’t that mean two techs thus you double the hours? So 10.6 for DT and 11.8 for other types?
You may be right. I read it as someone more skilled than a 1, but the job is not complex enough to drag a 3 skill into it. (<- I have NO idea how Ram rates their techs.)

That was my immediate leap when I saw what was written. Having pulled apart about a dozen air distribution boxes, 5 hours seems about right. It's not like there's room for a second guy. But, as I said, that was my interpretation. Happy to be shown to be wrong.

I'm glad to see that Ram has a TSB on this and recognizes the need for a fix.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my experience getting TSB work done it usually takes the dealership about a quarter to half the time to actually perform the repair than what the TSB says it should take.

Users who are viewing this thread