5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

71_340

Reaction score
@markt4cali

Thank you for your reply and the screen shot on how to enable Travel Link. Voice navigation search works fine......IF you say things in the right order/format and I am getting better at that. I did read somewhere that the keyboard entry requires to have SiriusXM Guardian activated. I guess that is not possible since the UAX did not come with my truck from the factory.

You mention "Try updating to pr39.7/9/40.1", is that a newer firmware version for the radio module? If it is, I have to do some research on where to get it and how to do it. I think I wait for the replacement module before doing that. I do not know which module version I have.

Again, thank you for your reply as it is very helpful. I surely hope to get my BU camera back with the replacement module.

71_340

Reaction score
So, I did some more reading and downloaded 34.2, 39.9 and 40.1 firmware version to my PC. Also downloaded the TB which told me how to check the version. Looks like I have a Canadian 33.3 version installed, I attached a photo of my screen.

Reading the instructions I have to update twice, first to 34.2 and then to 39 or 40. Biggest question now is if I can update from a Canadian to a US firmware version.

Thanks

Attachments

• Radio Information.jpg
    Radio Information.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 54

71_340

Reaction score
Answering my own question. I downloaded the US updates, when I try to update to 34.2 it says not compatible with my radio.

71_340

Reaction score
Another question!

Does anybody have link where I can download Canadian software upgrades (i.e. files on Google drive) or Canadian FCA TBs showing the latest updates?

Rylan

Reaction score
hey I am planning on doing this swap with my 19 bighorn 8.4 nav I was wondering is it possible to retain or transfer over what is needed to keep xm guardian? or is that something you would need to give up when doing the swap?

71_340

Reaction score
If I were you, I would call their customer service and ask. If you upgrade to the UAX you will get a new radio module which will have a different SiriusXM ID number.

There is also some information on that subject within this thread, you'll find it by doing a search, limited to this thread only.

madwarrior

Reaction score
Yes the large connector from the radio module to reboot it. I will see if I can pull one and upload it tomorrow. Do you have the status from a factory 12" BCM? I am thinking about buying the BCM from a donor truck that has everything I want to add and bench pulling information from it.
I'm missing
I used the following but this is just the major parts. Small hardware is needed for mounting everything.

Radio module / brain 68317978AF is what I used. A newer or older part number will be fine.

LVDS video cable: 68082364AC was the cheapest one I could find and I used. ( Dodge Journey )
or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or
5064684AD ( Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger )

Screen: 68312620AF with lane assist and parking buttons at the top
or
Screen: 68420967AD with only hazards button at the top

Bezel for the screen: Now this is a little tricky with different trims. Please verify color and prices vary widely.
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige or Black 6EJ801N1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Mountain Brown 6EJ811N6AA
Black/New Saddle 6EJ812XTAA
Indigo/Frost or Black 6EJ822C1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige, Black Interior Accents 6EZ151N1AA
Black, Black Interior Accents 6EZ152X9AA
All color Big Horn or Lonestar 6UV463XLAA
Black, Sport Badge 6UV473X9AB

Mat that fits in the top center: 6MB16TX7AA

Bolts that hold the screen to the trim are M5 X 0.8 x 12mm

Correction 8.4" Nav and Non Nav will need this or a pinout change. The 8.4" Nav will still use the blue connector and this adaptor. If you use the 8.4" nav screen connector without blue tape the hazards will not work when you switch to the 12" setup. On 8.4" setups the hazards wiring is still in the blue tapped connector and not the screen module connector.
HVAC plug with blue tape will also need repined before plugging into the screen. I made several and have them ready to ship just PM me.
View attachment 42678
I'm missing this cable at the picture above and also the adapter for the satellite radio cable ( blue to yellow )

Britton

Reaction score
I just used that car code site, used the module number, got my anti theft code in 2 mins
What car code site did you use, i tried the only link I could find and it didn't go anywhere. I'd like to use one that someone has used rather than trying to find one on my own

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What car code site did you use, i tried the only link I could find and it didn't go anywhere. I'd like to use one that someone has used rather than trying to find one on my own
I used ebay seller on "decode. Stereo". Sent s/n with paypal payment and received unlock code 5-10 minutes later.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

theRamguy

Reaction score
I use carstereocode.com. it's 10 bucks

71_340

Reaction score
I "fixed" all my problems! Traded in my truck for a 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie which came with the Uconnect 5 12.1" and Alpine sound system. I am a happy camper now, nice when everything works as it should.

Synner

Reaction score
I am trading in my truck this month and going back to my factory radio.

I am selling my
UC5 12" Screen - 68526597AC
Module - 68504644AB
Bezel - 6UV463XLAA
Top Mat - 6MB16TX7AA
LVDS Cable
UC4 to UC5 Harness
Bolts For Module

Basically everything you will to convert from a UC4 to UC5 12" screen aside from AlphaOBD and OBDII Adapter

Message me if interested.
I sent you a message about this!

BJSwizzle

Reaction score

theRamguy

Reaction score
I use carstereocode.com its 10 bucks

r.mccoy

Reaction score
I’m looking to get ahold of JIMMY07 to see if he has an upgrade wire harness to purchase.

chadillac0121

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have kind of a unique scenario hoping to get as much insight as I can.
I purchased a gently used 2019 Laramie 1500 back in the fall of 2020. At the dealer I noticed GPS wasn't working on the Uconnect 12, no biggie they put it in the deal to have it fixed (this was a Dodge dealer). Once I finally got around to this, they ordered the parts for my VIN and the screen that showed up was the 8.4" (non nav). I checked the official options myself, sure enough I completely missed this during the purchase (they certainly did not point it out if they knew). Of course their stance was "well we can try to retrofit the 8.4" non-nav" - but that just seemed like a downgrade at the time, especially given the 12" screen was one of the options that I really wanted.

I'm in a unique situation where I drive very little after going permanently full-remote during covid, so my 2019 only has 39k miles on it and the original owner added numerous OEM parts from the 2019 Limited (22" OEM wheels, powered steps, etc). So I have this very low mileage - almost Limited - that would still trade for close to what I paid for it... But this is so frustrating I've considered trading for a newer models when I think about it very much, but given the low miles situation I could easily pay this off way probably before I even hit 60k miles.

Anyways, time has gone by and I've been happy with the Apple CarPlay support which I would be using mostly anyways. However, there is always some concerns hiding in the back of my mind about this expensive truck and a potentially "janky" screen conversion. "What if it went out? Would I be able to figure out how they made this work to begin with?"

Things that DO work FYI:
For the most part everything works exceptionally well, which is why I didn't think much of this at the time of test driving. The below things all work, which I have seen others mention having trouble with on this forum.
Key components work without issue including:
- Backup Camera
- Hazards
- Dual Climate controls (and temperature)
- Bluetooth
- Steering wheel controls
- Radio (normal and HD)

The primary questions I have are below:
1. GPS has never worked, the map doesn't load, the compass says either "N" all the time, or has a dash through it. This is true for the dash cluster compass as well (I'm assuming these are tied together?) Question - From everything I've seen in this form, it sounds like GPS should just inherently work on the 12", maybe the individual who did this conversion saved some $$ by buying a unit with broken GPS? What other reasons might the GPS features not be working?
2. Satellite radio also does not appear to work. I can't find any settings anywhere to activate it, but the input "icon" is always grey. Question - I have not found many comments around XM not working, is there any special button combo to activate this? (not even sure I care to use it, again just annoying with such an expensive truck).
3. Regarding the Software version... This is where there is so much information in this forum I get a bit lost... I see Software Version "18.45.40" - Question Does this need to be upgraded? If so, how? why? (Given I wasn't the one who did this originally...)
4. If the majority of my issues are coming from a faulty "screen" (or radio unit?) - is a 2019 that was converted to 12" UC4 possible to convert to the UC5 system with most of the same parts (assuming at a minimum the radio changes).

My thought on #4 is if the screen / radio just has a dead GPS unit, maybe upgrading to UC5 for all the new features would be worth it.

I have been a car audio enthusiast most of my life, doing all kinds of custom installs so this isn't necessarily daunting to me. But given all the various components involved, software activations, etc. It is not entirely clear to me where I should begin trying to understand what the individual that owned this truck before me went through back in 2019, and what potentially was done wrong to cause these issues.

Any guidance / suggestions from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Tallus

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have kind of a unique scenario hoping to get as much insight as I can.
I purchased a gently used 2019 Laramie 1500 back in the fall of 2020. At the dealer I noticed GPS wasn't working on the Uconnect 12, no biggie they put it in the deal to have it fixed (this was a Dodge dealer). Once I finally got around to this, they ordered the parts for my VIN and the screen that showed up was the 8.4" (non nav). I checked the official options myself, sure enough I completely missed this during the purchase (they certainly did not point it out if they knew). Of course their stance was "well we can try to retrofit the 8.4" non-nav" - but that just seemed like a downgrade at the time, especially given the 12" screen was one of the options that I really wanted.

I'm in a unique situation where I drive very little after going permanently full-remote during covid, so my 2019 only has 39k miles on it and the original owner added numerous OEM parts from the 2019 Limited (22" OEM wheels, powered steps, etc). So I have this very low mileage - almost Limited - that would still trade for close to what I paid for it... But this is so frustrating I've considered trading for a newer models when I think about it very much, but given the low miles situation I could easily pay this off way probably before I even hit 60k miles.

Anyways, time has gone by and I've been happy with the Apple CarPlay support which I would be using mostly anyways. However, there is always some concerns hiding in the back of my mind about this expensive truck and a potentially "janky" screen conversion. "What if it went out? Would I be able to figure out how they made this work to begin with?"

Things that DO work FYI:
For the most part everything works exceptionally well, which is why I didn't think much of this at the time of test driving. The below things all work, which I have seen others mention having trouble with on this forum.
Key components work without issue including:
- Backup Camera
- Hazards
- Dual Climate controls (and temperature)
- Bluetooth
- Steering wheel controls
- Radio (normal and HD)

The primary questions I have are below:
1. GPS has never worked, the map doesn't load, the compass says either "N" all the time, or has a dash through it. This is true for the dash cluster compass as well (I'm assuming these are tied together?) Question - From everything I've seen in this form, it sounds like GPS should just inherently work on the 12", maybe the individual who did this conversion saved some $$ by buying a unit with broken GPS? What other reasons might the GPS features not be working?
2. Satellite radio also does not appear to work. I can't find any settings anywhere to activate it, but the input "icon" is always grey. Question - I have not found many comments around XM not working, is there any special button combo to activate this? (not even sure I care to use it, again just annoying with such an expensive truck).
3. Regarding the Software version... This is where there is so much information in this forum I get a bit lost... I see Software Version "18.45.40" - Question Does this need to be upgraded? If so, how? why? (Given I wasn't the one who did this originally...)
4. If the majority of my issues are coming from a faulty "screen" (or radio unit?) - is a 2019 that was converted to 12" UC4 possible to convert to the UC5 system with most of the same parts (assuming at a minimum the radio changes).

My thought on #4 is if the screen / radio just has a dead GPS unit, maybe upgrading to UC5 for all the new features would be worth it.

I have been a car audio enthusiast most of my life, doing all kinds of custom installs so this isn't necessarily daunting to me. But given all the various components involved, software activations, etc. It is not entirely clear to me where I should begin trying to understand what the individual that owned this truck before me went through back in 2019, and what potentially was done wrong to cause these issues.

Any guidance / suggestions from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.
See here

macadoo1

Reaction score
I used the following but this is just the major parts. Small hardware is needed for mounting everything.

Radio module / brain 68317978AF is what I used. A newer or older part number will be fine.

LVDS video cable: 68082364AC was the cheapest one I could find and I used. ( Dodge Journey )
or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or

or

Bezel for the screen: Now this is a little tricky with different trims. Please verify color and prices vary widely.

Correction 8.4" Nav and Non Nav will need this or a pinout change. The 8.4" Nav will still use the blue connector and this adaptor. If you use the 8.4" nav screen connector without blue tape the hazards will not work when you switch to the 12" setup. On 8.4" setups the hazards wiring is still in the blue tapped connector and not the screen module connector.
HVAC plug with blue tape will also need repined before plugging into the screen. I made several and have them ready to ship just PM me.
View attachment 42678
How

or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or

or

View attachment 42678
how much for the connections plug

crojak8

Reaction score
Hey there I have a 2020 Bighorn Ram with a non nav 8.4 i currently switched the to the 12 screen. everything works after getting all the parts from MVI, however the touch screen isnt working. but its on and everything is functioning and when moving to the back up camera or volume etc. i just have zero touch on the screen?

any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread