5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

nco415

Reaction score
Good day all,

I did this screen swap on my 2019 Bighorn level 2 about 2 years ago. Couldn't have done it without all the tremendous help here. Lately I have been having issues with the nav not showing traffic flow intermittently, so thought I would start with the radio application version update, first I live in Canada, the current version I have is CANADA-SBX-12.1-LR-34.2.0-20200123-L0.

It looks like I have LR-34.2.0 but I keep reading about PR34.2.0. what is the difference?
All I can seem to find is UAQ-QR39.5 OR UAX-PR39.9? What does the UAQ or UAX mean?

If I understand it correctly, UAQ and UAX is American, but just assuming that.

no idea what the PR or LR means.

Sorry for questions, but having troubles finding the info. Can someone please help me with what file I would need?

Thanks for any help.

Happy holidays everyone and stay safe.

nco415

Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone,

I did find out that the traffic flow/data does come from Sirius XM, mine had the 5 year free plan which expired last month, hence the reason it is not working now. XM is telling me that I will need to upgrade to the travel plus to get this working again at a cost of $6.99 CND mth on top of the regular XM service.

Just an FYI

Cheers

Happy holidays everyone and keep up the fabulous work!

cafute

Reaction score
Thank you for all the information in this thread. I read a lot of it, including pages 16-18.

I have a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica and tried to do the same update (RA4 8.4 -> UBN Uconnect5 10.1 ).

I thought maybe one of you might have some insight on what is happening?

It seems I might not need the BCM programming this thread recommends (since I am on a 2017 pacifica). Though I have ordered an OBDLink / AlfaOBD for good measure.

However, I am stuck in a Radio Locked state with a black screen. Only after a battery disconnect, and ACC mode does the Uconnect 5 screen display Radio Locked (without a keypad to unlock). Once in RUN, screen will be 100% black until the next disconnect (more details & pictures in the link below)

Last edited:

Scarlet Beast

Reaction score
Okay so I got everything working from non-nav to 12" ( all knobs and buttons on the screen and the screen starts up every time ) using the Windows version of AlfaOBD.

If you had the 8.4 Nav unit to start you may only need to disable Cabin NET-ICS Integrated Center Stack set as Not enabled.

1. Start by connecting to the Body Computer like below. Click connect.
View attachment 42409

2. Once connected click the Advanced mode button and under modification: (RU) PACIFICA : MY2017 PowerNet.
View attachment 42410

3. Switch to Active Diagnostics tab Car Configuration then Cabin Net-DCSD Display Screen Module set as Enabled.
View attachment 42411

4. Last select Cabin NET-ICS Integrated Center Stack set as Not enabled. Verify all setting took and pull the radio fuse or unhook the battery to reset the radio let it boot up. Shut the truck off and let it sit 30 mins or so and the radio should pull the setting from your trucks BCM.
View attachment 42412
Does the Body computer selection have to be the pacifica?

Ram1976

Reaction score
I’m running a 12 inch screen with a 12inch module the only thing that doesn’t work is the volume knob and tune know but I can control it on the wheel how’s that?

Im running into the same issue is there a setting in the BCM that needs to be changed to get those knobs to work? Everything else works on mine. I can’t even turn up the volume on the music, but I can hear it playing softly in the background.

Matveo

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I live in Europe and therefore I am writing through a translator. I read the whole topic and I managed to replace my 8.4 display with a 12“, everything works except the reverse camera, I found out that I have to update the multimedia version, I now have 34.2 I would like to update to 39.7 and 39.9 where can I download the files for the update ?Those links that were on page 94 no longer work.

Meen318

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I live in Europe and therefore I am writing through a translator. I read the whole topic and I managed to replace my 8.4 display with a 12“, everything works except the reverse camera, I found out that I have to update the multimedia version, I now have 34.2 I would like to update to 39.7 and 39.9 where can I download the files for the update ?Those links that were on page 94 no longer work.
Everything I used is in the Google Drive link posted many times in this thread.

Meen318

Reaction score
Some of the files in the Google Drive folder are showing but inaccessible. Says original file cannot be opened.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_150618_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_150618_Drive.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 20

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any linked to their original source were probably those that got removed. Replaced by an image...

User got a C&D from Stellantis. Site staff was also contacted.

rule #1...

Ozz

Reaction score
Hello, I have been here for a very long time, but this is my first post.
I have a used 12.1 screen from a 2022 truck (UC5). Is there a chance this screen will function with my 2020 RAM that has an 8.4 W/Nav module (UC4)? ... I attempted nearly all of the fixes, including pin rewiring, battery unplugging, and Alfaobd's tricks. The other bottoms, the radio sound level, and the HVAC system are all operational. but I still have a black screen with no responses. Please help .....

Attachments

• 20240125_140115.jpg
    20240125_140115.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240125_140122.jpg
    20240125_140122.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240124_144937.jpg
    20240124_144937.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240125_125310.jpg
    20240125_125310.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, I have been here for a very long time, but this is my first post.
I have a used 12.1 screen from a 2022 truck (UC5). Is there a chance this screen will function with my 2020 RAM that has an 8.4 W/Nav module (UC4)? ... I attempted nearly all of the fixes, including pin rewiring, battery unplugging, and Alfaobd's tricks. The other bottoms, the radio sound level, and the HVAC system are all operational. but I still have a black screen with no responses. Please help .....
UC5 screen will not work with UC4 module. You will need a UC5 module and an adapter harness from Jimmy.

Fragbait

Reaction score
Have a 2021 Bighorn 1500 with 8.4 non nav and found it would be about 1200 at the dealer just for nav. Nope.

Bought a 2021 TRX 12" screen and module from Quitepeen here, nav cable from Jimmy, Kaodatech bypass and AlphaOBD for android. Not quite $1200.00 done.

Fairly simple install , the bypass hook up was the hard part.

Screen was blank after install but back up cam worked. Did the center stack disable and the display screen module enable, pulled the battery cable and all good. Everything works however the A/C is still confused, hot air on ac and cold on max ac. I will give it some time to sort itself out and see what happens.

Thanks to Quitepeen and Jimmy as well all here for the info. You guys are the bomb.:)

Fragbait

Reaction score
Make sure the truck is on the run position but not actually running.

Once your done with changes in alpha and verified they were changed disconnect alpha, turn off the ignition, remove bypass and obd tool, then pull negative battery terminal or radio fuse and let the truck sit for a second. Then reconnect battery or fuse and let it sit an hour.

Once you’ve done that you can go back and when you power up the truck the radio should come on and all buttons should work. If your missing options for the heated or vented seats or even the backup camera give it a bit of time and they will come back. My backup camera was the last thing to come back.
do you have to remove the bypass from the truck? I have more upgrades in the pipeline and was going to remove the reader and leave the bypass cable.

Fragbait

Reaction score
FYI, I have 39.7 software and added the performance pages no problem with out any of the off road stuff. Selected Laramie special packages and then set performance pages to yes. Came up in about 45 min.

Shives

Reaction score
I bought mine at auto zone in the help section. Plastic nut inserts.
Yea…. I see what people did. On some versions they come with the truck… I’m not sure if mine does… but as everyone, trying to prep for arrival. Looking up steps today for the repin being I posses the tools to remove said pins and do this often at the shop. Trying to save a couple dollars. Been buying in pieces, and well… pulled trigger on the last of the parts yesterday.

Anyone else watching places like BAM whole sale for the screen, and watch it jump from 479 to 1200.00 and want to puke!? Lololol. So mad at myself for trying to save a buck.

Thanks for everyone’s help… of course. Love this form.

And what’s this about using periods at end of sentences… and people taking it as being mean? It’s common grammar! Lolol sorry

Shives

Reaction score
Morning! So, i finally got my radio installed. coming from a 8.4 non-navigation unit, to the 12" uconnect 4. I was able to get the unit installed easy. re-pin the harness and more. Thanks to members for the help! (MannyN, Jimmy7, and a few other i cant recall the names) Now, i got the radio working, Bluetooth, everything but my GPS. The arrow shows up, and the screen is black. when i go to enter a location, its say map location unavailable. trying to enter location the keyboard is all grayed out. I know the unit came from Texas area... i think... when power cycleing the radio, a popup comes up for upgrade of software. Looks like i am on pr 39.7.

anyone see this? I installed last night, and then let it sit over night before checking it again. It did ask for a code, which i had and entered.

Thanks.

AGillan

Reaction score
does anyone have th part numbers for the clip inserts and screws to hold the module into the bezel . my new bezel did not come with any 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread