5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

letsgobrandon!

Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm hoping someone can help with my install. I have a 21 ram 2500 factory with the 8.4 nav. Going to the 12 inch, Do i need to use the repin adapter?. The 12 inch screen has the grey female and my truck has the grey male plug and it plugs in. I disabled the cabin net center stack, and enable the cabin net display screen module.(via alpha obd on the android phone) Let the truck sit overnight and also unplugged the batteries. The radio turns on, volume knobs work as well as the heat/air. I can change the staion's ect. The screen does not come on/no camera's either. As far as i understand i do not need to use the lvds cable since the truck came with nav.. I know your suppose to wait for a while for it to wake up. It's been a day now and no screen. I double checked alpha to make sure the changes took place and they did. Thanks for any help

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm hoping someone can help with my install. I have a 21 ram 2500 factory with the 8.4 nav. Going to the 12 inch, Do i need to use the repin adapter?. The 12 inch screen has the grey female and my truck has the grey male plug and it plugs in. I disabled the cabin net center stack, and enable the cabin net display screen module.(via alpha obd on the android phone) Let the truck sit overnight and also unplugged the batteries. The radio turns on, volume knobs work as well as the heat/air. I can change the staion's ect. The screen does not come on/no camera's either. As far as i understand i do not need to use the lvds cable since the truck came with nav.. I know your suppose to wait for a while for it to wake up. It's been a day now and no screen. I double checked alpha to make sure the changes took place and they did. Thanks for any help
You still need the lvds cable and repin you connector, nav or no nav does not matter.
You better off in the HD section on this forum.

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
Ok, ive read a good few posts on this, and I want some opinions. I have a fairly base model 2020 big horn with the 5" screen. So no xm, no heated seats, etc.

I like the look of the 12" screen and that was my initial plan. But, it seems like a lot more work than just going to a non-nav 8.4" without a lot of bonus other than looks since a lot of the functionality wouldn't be utilized. I mainly just want a larger screen and the ability to plug my phone In and have maps on the screen. Im also co sidering aftermarket, but ive never been a huge fan of them in the past. I still prefer the 12", but what is everyone's opinion? I found a good deal on a swap ready with screen, radio and bezel 8.4" for $500

Ryno

Reaction score
Ok, ive read a good few posts on this, and I want some opinions. I have a fairly base model 2020 big horn with the 5" screen. So no xm, no heated seats, etc.

I like the look of the 12" screen and that was my initial plan. But, it seems like a lot more work than just going to a non-nav 8.4" without a lot of bonus other than looks since a lot of the functionality wouldn't be utilized. I mainly just want a larger screen and the ability to plug my phone In and have maps on the screen. Im also co sidering aftermarket, but ive never been a huge fan of them in the past. I still prefer the 12", but what is everyone's opinion? I found a good deal on a swap ready with screen, radio and bezel 8.4" for $500
You can’t go aftermarket on the 5th gens. I just put the Phoenix 13.6 in mine, it’s pretty nice once you get it dialed in.

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
You can’t go aftermarket on the 5th gens. I just put the Phoenix 13.6 in mine, it’s pretty nice once you get it dialed in.
That actually looks like a pretty slick setup. How are you liking it? Pros, cons?

Ryno

Reaction score
I like it pretty well. The wireless car play can be wonky. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the Bluetooth for it to work every time I get in, sometimes it works all day without issue. The full screen is great though. I wish it didn’t show every available comfort option, like I don’t have heated seats or steering wheel. But not a deal breaker. My favorite part is the 32 band equalizer and bass filters. The sound is so much better than the stock radio because of the tuning options.
That actually looks like a pretty slick setup. How are you liking it? Pros, cons?

dandias

Reaction score
Hello Guys, thank you for all those information, but there is one that I can’t find, I followed every step and now I have everything working but blank screen. It took 24 hrs already and I took the negative from the battery for 12 hrs but still nothing, does anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Repin: done
Programming: done
8.4 non navigation to 12 inch
2019 Ram 1500 big horn

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Guys, thank you for all those information, but there is one that I can’t find, I followed every step and now I have everything working but blank screen. It took 24 hrs already and I took the negative from the battery for 12 hrs but still nothing, does anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Repin: done
Programming: done
8.4 non navigation to 12 inch
2019 Ram 1500 big horn
Did you plugged in the new LVDS Cable?

dandias

Reaction score
Did you plugged in the new LVDS Cable?
Yes, all plugged, I got this one. I have everything working but not the screen and hazard lights.

Attachments

• 0260C6F6-8F3A-4071-AB9B-35F12868D1C5.png
    0260C6F6-8F3A-4071-AB9B-35F12868D1C5.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 69

nsuth

Reaction score
After reading through the entire thread, it seems that an upgrade to 12.1 is awesome! However, I was wondering if one should go the UC4 or UC5 route? I know there is a thread on that, and I have read through it, but which would you choose if all things are equal?

Also, I did notice that parts are cheaper for the UC5 than the UC4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsuth

Reaction score
Basically I will be adding Lane Departure in the future and kind of figures that I may as well upgrade to the larger screen. That being said, I am just not sure if UC5 is really better, or if I should go with 4.

It seems that for my use case price will be negligible, so I may as will go with the best option.

Thank you for the response! I will keep looking around and see how to proceed. I don’t really need wireless CarPlay, as I’d rather charge my phone when I drive anyway.

Synner

Reaction score
good morning,
I know this has been beat to a pulp, but I just want clarification as it is alot of money for me to spend on an upgrade and I do it wrong.
I have a 22 1500 NON nav 8.4 with uconnect 5
I want to upgrade to the 12 inch screen uconnect 5
From my understanding I will need
screen-68526597AC
module- 68504644AE
Bezel- 6EZ155X9AE
LVDS cable- 68570765AA
Rubber mat for bezel- 6MB16TX7AA
7 screws- 06104172AA
Bluetooth plug- i see people using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1C2436WDJ39HA&psc=1
I will need alphaOBD
I will also need a repin harness?? from JIMMY07
I have also seen this needed as well ?? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZL4LRVK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1WOC50AEFWL01&psc=1

Papadude1107

Reaction score
Okay so I got everything working from non-nav to 12" ( all knobs and buttons on the screen and the screen starts up every time ) using the Windows version of AlfaOBD.

If you had the 8.4 Nav unit to start you may only need to disable Cabin NET-ICS Integrated Center Stack set as Not enabled.

1. Start by connecting to the Body Computer like below. Click connect.
View attachment 42409

2. Once connected click the Advanced mode button and under modification: (RU) PACIFICA : MY2017 PowerNet.
View attachment 42410

3. Switch to Active Diagnostics tab Car Configuration then Cabin Net-DCSD Display Screen Module set as Enabled.
View attachment 42411

4. Last select Cabin NET-ICS Integrated Center Stack set as Not enabled. Verify all setting took and pull the radio fuse or unhook the battery to reset the radio let it boot up. Shut the truck off and let it sit 30 mins or so and the radio should pull the setting from your trucks BCM.
View attachment 42412
Hello, new to this forum... Just checking to ensure these exact AlfaOBD instructions/settings will work on my 2019 Ram?

vyamill27

Reaction score
Can not find the Module 68504644AE, I got cancelled every order because nobody have it on stock, anyone here with one for sale ??? I still need the Center Stack (screen) but its a little easier to find on eBay. Anyways willing to buy the entire kit if available. Thanks in advance.

Synner

Reaction score
that LVDS cable does not work with UC5 parts. 68539945AA may be an option but I cannot guarantee it. @Jimmy07 does make the LVDS cable that works.
You will also want 4 nylon washers or mounting clips and 4 trim screws to mount the module as i'm guessing Mopar did not include the clips.
last but not least (optional but OEM has it) Radio Bracket PN 68358470AA
Thank you for the input and part updates! I am close to pulling the trigger on this expensive upgrade!

71_340

Reaction score
I know that is an older thread but since it is still active and it appears that there are several knowledgeable members on her I present my issues. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 DT Bighorn which came with the 8.4 non-nav radio and dual zone auto HVAC. I bought a 12" UAX kit from Carplaynav.com in Canada. The kit included the screen, module, video cable, an adapter cable and on a loaner basis a tablet with AlfaOBD, security bypass and OBD2 Bluetooth dongle. Had to give them my VIN for programming and have the Sirius option.

I installed everything and set the ISC to not enabled and the DCSD to enabled (per the instructions and as it is also mentioned here). I let the truck sit overnight, also disconnected the battery a few times. That was about three weeks ago, since it takes some time for everything to populate.

I still do not have a back up camera. When I put the truck in reverse the screen does not change, when I use the Rear Camera soft button I get a blue screen on top and Control screen on the bottom. I know that the system is capable of displaying the camera view because after the truck is parked for extended periods and I start it and put it in reverse really quick it displays the rear view, however, hitch view button does not work.

Other issues are that the Sirius Travel Link icon is missing. Also, the GPS is spot on I can only search for addresses via voice; using the keyboard gives me error messages. Lastly, not sure if that is an issue, I thought that the HVAC hard button on the side of the screen should be backlit during the day? They are at night with the lights on.

The vendor thinks that there is something wrong with the module and will send me another one once they get on.

Sorry for the longwinded response but I wanted to detailed, hoping that somebody can shed some light on my problems. I have my own security bypass, tablet with AlfaOBD and a OBD2 dongle.

Thank you in advance for any input/advice.

realestatebyrod

Reaction score
I did the 8.4 Uconnect 4 to 12.1 Uconnect 5 upgrade. Everything seems to be working fine except it looks like i lost the zoom function on my rear view camera to zoom in on the hitch? I can’t find anything in the settings is it something i need to turn on in AlphaOBD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online