5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Well since I tried everything and still can't get the screen to power on without pulling the fuse I took it all out and put the 8.4" back in. It is very disappointing but I confirmed the settings and changed the settings back and forth a ton of times and it just wouldn't work even when the settings were correct. I give up. I don't get why so many people had success and I can't get it! That is also frustrating.
I saw on the site posted above that it says you need a computer to plug in and change things... did you do that?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

TravisH

Reaction score
Hi. I’m looking at getting the parts for this conversion. I’ve read almost every post in this thread and I made a parts list with everything I think I need. Just looking for some confirmation.

My truck is a 2020 Sport with dual auto climate without lane assist. I think I chose the correct center stack. It has a build date of 02/20 so I think I chose the right radio module. What’s hard to tell is the radio bezel style. Mine is like a gray/dark gray outer with this gloss black diamond plate look on top. I attached pictures of it. Im not 100% sure on the bezel.

List:

68420967AC - center stack (only hazard on top)

6MB16TX7AA - storage bin mat

68429169AE - radio module gray box (2020 Sport, build date 02/20)

68082364AC - lvds cable

6UV473X9AB or AA - radio bezel
6UV481X7AB or AA - radio bezel
(2020 Sport)

- Will re-pin connector
- Already have AlfaOBD and Bluetooth scanner
- Will order this cable for bypass - https://amzn.to/39yXOtu

I think that’s it.

Thank you,
8dd6de45b1ab44d4609a78aa3ef7f4ee.jpg

5ed571e8d71492a8086639dad62ae65d.jpg

ec34f3ed6efa247b32b8ac7bfe3a97eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're better off getting the Center Stack with lane centering and park assist, $200 cheaper and works perfectly.

TravisH

Reaction score
You're better off getting the Center Stack with lane centering and park assist, $200 cheaper and works perfectly.

I found the center stack without the extra 2 buttons for $447.30. I think the other one was more.

SRTFreak

Reaction score
I have a 12 inch screen+ bezel for sale if anyone is interested in doing this mod.

drpaul41

Reaction score
Where are we finding the less expensive screens and radio modules? I have 2021 Lone Star and want upgrade but the prices are astronomical it seems. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Knight.

Reaction score
Where are we finding the less expensive screens and radio modules? I have 2021 Lone Star and want upgrade but the prices are astronomical it seems. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

I agree, I try to keep an eye out for the module as that is the most expensive but at this point it's not a mod i really need now so I haven't been too concerned.

TravisH

Reaction score
In other threads people were unable to add the cargo cam to their 8.4" non-nav but weren't sure if that was a radio limitation or a BCM limitation. Has anyone coming from an 8.4" non-nav upgraded to a 12" and added the cargo cam or at least enable it in alfa and have the icon present?

Yellotsacul

Reaction score
In other threads people were unable to add the cargo cam to their 8.4" non-nav but weren't sure if that was a radio limitation or a BCM limitation. Has anyone coming from an 8.4" non-nav upgraded to a 12" and added the cargo cam or at least enable it in alfa and have the icon present?

I did and it worked just fine. I activated it to use for a fire tv input and everything worked as it should. I believe I used the tazer to activate it however, not alpha.

TravisH

Reaction score
I did and it worked just fine. I activated it to use for a fire tv input and everything worked as it should. I believe I used the tazer to activate it however, not alpha.

What are you doing for audio for the fire stick? Bluetooth?

kd908070

Reaction score
I suggest you guys should wait longer for the Uconnect 5 available to upgrade the 12" Display or at least the current version will be on sale.

TravisH

Reaction score
I suggest you guys should wait longer for the Uconnect 5 available to upgrade the 12" Display or at least the current version will be on sale.

Can you verify that the uconnect5 will work on older models?

kd908070

Reaction score
Can you verify that the uconnect5 will work on older models?

I don't have a data to backup my theory, but I don't see why we can't upgrade to Uconnect 5 when we can swap the 5.5" Display to 12" Display. If we purchase all the required components, it would work.

TravisH

Reaction score
I don't have a data to backup my theory, but I don't see why we can't upgrade to Uconnect 5 when we can swap the 5.5" Display to 12" Display. If we purchase all the required components, it would work.

It’s going to rely on the radio module behind the screen. We’ve seen variations already with uconnect4 and some modules don’t work with some vehicles. It will be interesting and expensive to see.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s going to rely on the radio module behind the screen. We’ve seen variations already with uconnect4 and some modules don’t work with some vehicles. It will be interesting and expensive to see.

Doubtful that uconnect 5 will work. The current newest modules for the 21+ I believe already don’t work on 19 and 20 trucks.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doubtful that uconnect 5 will work. The current newest modules for the 21+ I believe already don’t work on 19 and 20 trucks.
The 2021 radio module works on a 2019 truck, as I know of someone who’s running it. There were a few instances where people installed the 2019 radio module on 2021’s, and there were backup camera issues, but that is because of the software version that the older module comes shipped with. In one such instance, a ‘21 owner got a hold of the 39.x update, and the 2019 module worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online