5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

RichM1983

Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help.

I installed the the 12” screen with all necessary changes and cables and did the changes in the BCM and pulled the fuse for the radio. When I came back after an hour the radio wouldn’t power on. I got sound and the volume knob works and the tune knob does as well. I had to pull the fuse to get the screen to come back on. Everything works like it should after I pulled the fuse. However, since I pulled the fuse the backup camera and passenger heated and cooled seats wouldn’t work. I’m going to wait 30 minutes and see if the screen will come on this time.

I went back into the BCM and confirmed the settings and they are correct.

Any idea why I would need to pull the fuse to get the screen to come back on a second time after waiting an hour after the initial changes?

EDIT: I just went back out after about 40 minutes. I turned the truck on and the screen is black. If I put the truck into reverse the screen comes on. When I put the truck back in park the screen goes off. Radio works and so does the volume knob even while screen is black. I’m lost and incredibly frustrated.

EDIT 2: I checked the BCM for a third time and it is correct. I pulled the negative batter terminal this time for 10 minutes. Hooked it back up and the screen will power on. I let it set an hour and came back and the screen will not power on. It is back to only coming on when I put it in reverse with the backup camera showing but goes off as soon as I go into any other gear. Again radio works and all the buttons on the side of screen work, tune, volume, mute, power (turns off the sound only since the screen is already off).

I'm lost at this point. We'll see what it does tomorrow I guess.

Last edited:

RichM1983

Reaction score
Ok guys I’m worried about this. I searched 68317978ai for the module. The only thing that comes up is AL. My module is new and the part number ends with AL not the ai like earlier in the thread. Could that be the problem??? I hope not because ai isn’t available and is superseded by the AL part number.

vyamill27

Reaction score
That Part number it's the one I'm using on my 2019 with the 12 " screen.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

RichM1983

Reaction score
Looks like this module fits 2019-2020 years. What year is your truck?
Also, I think this module is for the smaller screen and not the 12". I could be wrong if anyone else can confirm.
My truck is a 19. It can’t be for the 8.4” because when I pull the fuse the screen isn’t messed up. Everything appears on the screen as it should. If it were the 8.4” Nav module my understanding is the display doesn’t show up right on the screen or it won’t show up all.

RichM1983

Reaction score
That Part number it's the one I'm using on my 2019 with the 12 " screen.

Well at least I know it’s not that.

There was a guy earlier on in this thread around page 36 that tried reprogramming his BCM with the android version of alpha OBD. He had the same issue I’m having. Once he switched to the windows version and reprogrammed the BCM it all worked as should.

I used OBD JScan to program my BCM. It doesn’t make sense that when I reprogrammed the BCM the knobs all began to function correctly but the screen won’t power on. Maybe if I try the windows version of alpha OBD it will work. I don’t know. I don’t want to spend the money on that and it still not fix the problem. Just my luck...

Knight.

Reaction score
I'm actually looking for a tablet so i can download the alphaobd software on it. I was thinking Android but now maybe i should get a windows? lol. What's everyone else using?

vyamill27

Reaction score
I used Android with an old phone and it work flawlessly.

vyamill27

Reaction score
And also used these
b8a3e868168571b4a3e935a4d5ab512c.jpg

7101264af93bd5abaa57f597c4b55fc4.jpg

Cmassey31099

Reaction score
Has anyone in here successfully completed a 8.4 to 12 in a 2021 yet? My 2021 module should be here tomorrow. I’ll let you all know how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used OBD JScan to do the changes to the BCM?
I know of a few people that successfully used Jscan for the swap. It definitely sounds like the DCSD setting didn’t take, but the ICS setting did. Did you double check the current status of the DCSD in Jscan?

Cmassey31099

Reaction score
e9008bdb0a8e3171954caa294f27843a.jpg

2021 module came today and everything works! So that was definitely the issue with the camera. Took about 2 hours for everything to pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread