5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I initially blew the 15 amp fuse when repining the blue plug. Windshield wipers wouldn't turn off and got a bunch of errors. Replaced the fuse, but screen wouldn't turn on. I then checked every fuse in the cabin and under the hood but all were good. No radio and no display on the screen.

If your screen isn’t turning on then your alpha obd steps didn’t take. Go recheck
Also unplug battery or unplug radio fuse for about 3-5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spaniel43

Reaction score
Just completed my 8.4 non nav to 12" nav upgrade. Thank you @Jimmy07 for your help and Kodatech. Radio was sourced from eBay and had never been installed in a vehicle. It took more time to unplug the harness's than anything else!

The only features not working are the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel heat. When I access them in the menu the icons are greyed out! Is this something that will correct itself after a few cycles?

2020 5gen Laramie!

Update, all functions are working now. Heat and cool seats as well as heated steering wheel

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just completed my 8.4 non nav to 12" nav upgrade. Thank you @Jimmy07 for your help and Kodatech. Radio was sourced from eBay and had never been installed in a vehicle. It took more time to unplug the harness's than anything else!

The only features not working are the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel heat. When I access them in the menu the icons are greyed out! Is this something that will correct itself after a few cycles?

2020 5gen Laramie!
Typically it should return in a few hours. Whenever I disconnect my battery for extended time it takes a few hours for my options to show up such as sirius, backup cam, heater seats, etc...

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

spaniel43

Reaction score
Typically it should return in a few hours. Whenever I disconnect my battery for extended time it takes a few hours for my options to show up such as sirius, backup cam, heater seats, etc...

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Update, all functions are working now. Heat and cool seats as well as heated steering wheel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sowa

Reaction score
I was able to get through the swap in an evening. For the HD guys, I'd highly recommend the kaodtech bypass as it allows you to not have to get behind the gauge cluster to do the bypass.

Steviespecial

Reaction score
Pry the red face off of the connector. Then insert a paper clip in the front underneath the terminal to pry up the plastic terminal lock. You’ll push in on the wire while prying up the plastic locking tab, then pull on the wire once the tab has cleared the terminal.
If your screen isn’t turning on then your alpha obd steps didn’t take. Go recheck
Also unplug battery or unplug radio fuse for about 3-5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about if your screen comes on but then prompts a four digit pin???

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What about if your screen comes on but then prompts a four digit pin???
Then you’ll need to obtain the anti theft code from whoever you bought the radio module from, or the dealer. You will need the serial number off the radio module and the VIN from the original donor truck to get it from the dealer. Or, you can pay to get it from this site- https://www.ivgsoft.com/
Make sure to get the serial number and model number off the radio module before you install it.

Steviespecial

Reaction score
The screen and module came from a totaled truck here in Houston... I doubt the owner has access to the truck now

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The screen and module came from a totaled truck here in Houston... I doubt the owner has access to the truck now
If you don’t know the VIN of that truck, you’ll have to use the link I provided to get the code.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Pull the radio module and post the serial number on the radio. It is on a white label usually begins with T. Maybe others. Number sometimes by bar code also. Take a picture of the labels and post them if not sure. Or send me private mail.

Users who are viewing this thread