5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

mikehillmt

Reaction score
The PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) picks up the source signal before the HK amplifier / processor. The advantage on doing so is: 1. you get a cleaner non processed signal, 2. the PAC output channels does bypass the Active Noise Cancellation that is processed by the Harman Kardon / Chrysler amplifier.

I have already installed a sub (SA-12 D2 REV.3- Sundown Audio 12" 750W Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer) and amp (Sundown Audio SAE-1000d v2 SAE Series 1000W RMS Mono Amplifier). As you know, tapping the bass from the DSP of the HK amp at the point of the ANC is amplifying the hell out of the ANC anti-humm from my oversized tires. Before the amp, it was SO NICE to have that ANC because it is truly so quiet in the cab! I was hoping to know if i COULD use the PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) AND still keep my factory HK amp and the ANC, but simply add a filtered sub output using that AP4. I doubt ill want to change the "highs" amp as its plenty of volume for me. I do realize that the factory and the aftermarket subs may conflict a little, but honestly, the ANC is so important to my wife and to me riding with a happy wife :) when we travel I "NEVER turn it up", and usually disable the Big Dog Bass. Do you know if my plan would work by chance? thanks in advance!

sppb32

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to probably go with the dsr1 and the taramp 400x4 for the 6x9. I will amp the sub later, but what harness do I need? Qhat do you think I need to complete this project?
If i were you i wouldn't even mess with the factory speaker harness, run all new speaker wires, it's easy to get the wires to the doors, i didn't do the rear ones but the front took less than 15 minutes each there's plenty of room in the boot and nothing in the way, a coat hanger or something similar is all you need to snake it in, the rear ones once you remove the plastic trim on the pillar it's just as easy if not easier, my 04 was much worse and i did it.

sppb32

Reaction score
I have already installed a sub (SA-12 D2 REV.3- Sundown Audio 12" 750W Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer) and amp (Sundown Audio SAE-1000d v2 SAE Series 1000W RMS Mono Amplifier). As you know, tapping the bass from the DSP of the HK amp at the point of the ANC is amplifying the hell out of the ANC anti-humm from my oversized tires. Before the amp, it was SO NICE to have that ANC because it is truly so quiet in the cab! I was hoping to know if i COULD use the PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) AND still keep my factory HK amp and the ANC, but simply add a filtered sub output using that AP4. I doubt ill want to change the "highs" amp as its plenty of volume for me. I do realize that the factory and the aftermarket subs may conflict a little, but honestly, the ANC is so important to my wife and to me riding with a happy wife :) when we travel I "NEVER turn it up", and usually disable the Big Dog Bass. Do you know if my plan would work by chance? thanks in advance!
It will work, the factory amplifier has to stay connected for the PAC AP4-CH41 to work, it doesn't disable any factory function it's just an add on, and you also get a volume control knob for the bass output so you can adjust the subwoofer volume.
Great choice on the Subwoofer, the SA is a great subwoofer very underrated, i'm using 2 SA V2 10's on mine

805myth1

Reaction score
If i were you i wouldn't even mess with the factory speaker harness, run all new speaker wires, it's easy to get the wires to the doors, i didn't do the rear ones but the front took less than 15 minutes each there's plenty of room in the boot and nothing in the way, a coat hanger or something similar is all you need to snake it in, the rear ones once you remove the plastic trim on the pillar it's just as easy if not easier, my 04 was much worse and i did it.

Screenshot_20210201-064227_Chrome.jpg

The dsr1 already comes with new speaker leads to connect to, so you can just connect those to the aftermarket amps.

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
And fishing the wires from the dash? So just run speaker wires directly to dsr1, then hook up the amplifier...

sppb32

Reaction score
View attachment 81373

The dsr1 already comes with new speaker leads to connect to, so you can just connect those to the aftermarket amps.
It does not as far as i know, you have to buy it separate and i'm not sure they have one for the newer models yet, (something you have to research) i know PAC didn't have one for the 2020 with Alpine system that's why i ran new wires on mine.

sppb32

Reaction score
And fishing the wires from the dash? So just run speaker wires directly to dsr1, then hook up the amplifier...
Dash speakers are the easiest if you want to connect them to the aftermarket amplifier, from the speaker location down to under the dash on each side.
Run the speaker wires from each speaker to the aftermarket amplifier ( if you are going with the Taramps pay attention to the way the speaker connect to the amp, it's not like the others), connect the RCA outputs from the DSR1 to the aftermarket amplifier, you might need RCA interconnects, connect the DSR1 to the back of the headunit simple.

805myth1

Reaction score
It does not as far as i know, you have to buy it separate and i'm not sure they have one for the newer models yet, (something you have to research) i know PAC didn't have one for the 2020 with Alpine system that's why i ran new wires on mine.

The dsr1 itself doesn't technically have the speaker wire leads but rather the corresponding t harness for your truck does. When I installed my setup, all I had to do was run wires from the t harness for the dsr1 to the aftermarket amps and no need to run new wires to each speaker

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
The dsr1 itself doesn't technically have the speaker wire leads but rather the corresponding t harness for your truck does. When I installed my setup, all I had to do was run wires from the t harness for the dsr1 to the aftermarket amps and no need to run new wires to each speaker
What t harness did you get?

805myth1

Reaction score
What t harness did you get?

For mine, I got the HRN-AR-CH4 from idatalink, it only works for alpine and hk systems.

They also have one for non amplified system which is the HRN-AR-CH3. But not sure which one you need for your classic 1500. I'm sure if you reach out to crutchfield.com or idatalink they will let you know which one works for your truck.

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
For mine, I got the HRN-AR-CH4 from idatalink, it only works for alpine and hk systems.

They also have one for non amplified system which is the HRN-AR-CH3. But not sure which one you need for your classic 1500. I'm sure if you reach out to crutchfield.com or idatalink they will let you know which one works for your truck.
Ok thanks I will contact them today. I do want to separate the dash though. They are so overpowered in this parallel configuration. Especially after I dropped the homage from 8 to 3.

mikehillmt

Reaction score
It will work, the factory amplifier has to stay connected for the PAC AP4-CH41 to work, it doesn't disable any factory function it's just an add on, and you also get a volume control knob for the bass output so you can adjust the subwoofer volume.
Great choice on the Subwoofer, the SA is a great subwoofer very underrated, i'm using 2 SA V2 10's on mine
thank you so much!!! ill get one ordered and then share my build :) appreciate the heads up brother :)

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a super easy and cheap upgrade, I've got an extra JBL Stadium GTO20M speaker I'm selling. 30 minute swap for the center dash speaker on either an Alpine or HK system. They come 2 to a pack, all you need is one. Selling for $80. Made a huge difference in sound quality!

pmegason

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn with the EcoDiesel so there is no ANC. I have the base 6 speaker 8.4 no nav. Is there a plug and play harness that will take the signal to a AudioControl LCi7?

Below is what I plan to install.
Dash 3.5 Kicker 47KSC3504 4OHM
Front Doors Kicker 47KSC6904 4OHM
Back Doors Kicker 47KSC6904 4OHM
AudioControl LCi7
Soundstream Reserve RS5.4500D 5 channel amp 100Wx4 and 750Wx1
JL Audio Stealth box duel 10" or 12" depending on what's in stock.

I would like to keep the dash running off the factory stereo and the doors off the amp. Just thinking of doing it this way since they are ran in parallel with the door. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks For the help.

minmar10

Reaction score
I am just wanting to add subs and a amp, if I read all these pages correctly, I will just need the harness to bypass the ANC?

805myth1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn with the EcoDiesel so there is no ANC. I have the base 6 speaker 8.4 no nav. Is there a plug and play harness that will take the signal to a AudioControl LCi7?

Below is what I plan to install.
Dash 3.5 Kicker 47KSC3504 4OHM
Front Doors Kicker 47KSC6904 4OHM
Back Doors Kicker 47KSC6904 4OHM
AudioControl LCi7
Soundstream Reserve RS5.4500D 5 channel amp 100Wx4 and 750Wx1
JL Audio Stealth box duel 10" or 12" depending on what's in stock.

I would like to keep the dash running off the factory stereo and the doors off the amp. Just thinking of doing it this way since they are ran in parallel with the door. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks For the help.

I tnink you're better off ditching the LC7i for this install. I think you're best bet is to go with an amp pro. I tried with the LC7i but couldn't get it to work. I went with a dsr1 but that's because I have the alpine system. But since you have the 6 speaker system the amp pro would prob be better.

pmegason

Reaction score
I tnink you're better off ditching the LC7i for this install. I think you're best bet is to go with an amp pro. I tried with the LC7i but couldn't get it to work. I went with a dsr1 but that's because I have the alpine system. But since you have the 6 speaker system the amp pro would prob be better.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if the LC7i didn't work for you because you have the amplified system. I don't have any factory amplification, but I clicked the link and the new amp pro now works with either amplified or non amplified. I wonder if anybody has had any luck with a loopback harness?

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I wonder if the LC7i didn't work for you because you have the amplified system. I don't have any factory amplification, but I clicked the link and the new amp pro now works with either amplified or non amplified. I wonder if anybody has had any luck with a loopback harness?

I have the base 6 speaker system and the LC7i works great. I used the idatalink bch3 anc bypass harness to avoid cutting wires and remove the anc. I also ran new wires to the dash speakers since I planned running those off the head unit. But trust me amplifying those small 3.5 works wonders. Your better off not amplifying the back door speakers and running those off of the head unit.

Oh and if your not planning on running power and ground wires to under the driver seat use the pac audio anc bypass harness you can cut the end that goes into the anc and use the power and ground for the lc7i.

805myth1

Reaction score

Yes I believe the amp pro plugs in behind the head unit. But I cannot confirm because I have the dsr1. I also went with the dsr1 to retain all factory features.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread