5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

pmegason

Reaction score
I tnink you're better off ditching the LC7i for this install. I think you're best bet is to go with an amp pro. I tried with the LC7i but couldn't get it to work. I went with a dsr1 but that's because I have the alpine system. But since you have the 6 speaker system the amp pro would prob be better.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if the LC7i didn't work for you because you have the amplified system. I don't have any factory amplification, but I clicked the link and the new amp pro now works with either amplified or non amplified. I wonder if anybody has had any luck with a loopback harness?
I have the base 6 speaker system and the LC7i works great. I used the idatalink bch3 anc bypass harness to avoid cutting wires and remove the anc. I also ran new wires to the dash speakers since I planned running those off the head unit. But trust me amplifying those small 3.5 works wonders. Your better off not amplifying the back door speakers and running those off of the head unit.

Oh and if your not planning on running power and ground wires to under the driver seat use the pac audio anc bypass harness you can cut the end that goes into the anc and use the power and ground for the lc7i.
Thanks.
I will have to do more research on what will work best for me since I do not have ANC. The EcoDiesels do not come with it. At least I have options and a few different ways to go. I guess there's more reading to do.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I just picked up a 5.7 4x4 Quad Cab Bighorn. Although I love the truck, I wanted the 9 speaker system but there wasn't an option for it. I drove straight from the dealer to Car Toys and got their input, but wasn't confident enough in their suggestions. I think I'll do this myself.

As I've been poking around trying to decide the best way to upgrade, I've found a few things.

First, there is an amp looking device under the drivers seat. I'm not sure what this is... does anyone know? Car toys thought this was an amp, but I'm guessing my feeds are coming from the deck rather than an amp. I'm thinking this is not related to the stereo. (Pic attached.) That would rule out an amp under the drivers seat.

I could do an amp or small sub under passenger seat, but that is where the tools are located. That could be an option once IN get my canopy and some storage to move the tools...

I don't want to install under the back seats. Not really room, and I use that for storage. I don't need a big sub anyways. That leaves the small area behind the back seats. Once I pick up an eTorx to remove them, I'll see what room is back there. Incidentally, I don't think the Fold the Back Seat mod will work because I'm not seeing the back seats move at all when I lift or drop the seat.

I do notice an open harness near the floor, about in the middle of the seats. I wonder if that is the wiring for a sub that I don't have? Does anyone have any ideas what this open harness might be. Is this where the sub is located on the 9 speaker systems? Man, that'd be nice if I could somehow buy that sub and pop it in...

Any tips or suggestions would be soooo appreciated. There is really very little information on the stereos in this new 2019s. I'm guessing that for the actual speaker layout, not much has changed.... but not sure. I def need more sound though! I could live without a sub, and go 6x9s and an amp, but hope I can find a way to get a small sub somewhere in there. I had a shallow mount 10" behind the back seats in my Tacoma that worked great.

Thanks!
-Warren
Halo 10

cmflyersx2c

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Well I finally got through reading all 90 pages of this thread. Some very interesting info in here.

I'd like to ask a question about my 2019 RAM 2500 Longhorn Stereo system. It has the HK 19 speaker system in it. To me it's junk compared to the Alpine 9 speaker system I had in my 2015 RAM 1500 Longhorn.

So this HK system doesn't Really bad, But it has one very big issue that FCA refuse to address. Believe me, I've complained to customer care several times. A year later and no fix.
The problem is the 3 band EQ. If you adjust it up or down to make music sound nicer or to compensate for lower quality media sources, It barely makes any difference even if you adjust it all the way up or down. I know what the problem is. Each step of the adjustment needs to be more db. If I adjusted my Alpine system I had in my previous truck all the way up, The sub would blow the windows out. This HK system make a barely noticeable adjustment either way. The sub is barely working even at the highest setting of the EQ. The mid and high adjustment are the same way.

All FCA has to do is make a software adjustment to make the EQ more responsive. But they won't do it. If I could figure out a way to hack into the radio software, I'd do it myself or get someone to do it for me.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions you can give me on this issue.

thanks everyone

sppb32

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Well I finally got through reading all 90 pages of this thread. Some very interesting info in here.

I'd like to ask a question about my 2019 RAM 2500 Longhorn Stereo system. It has the HK 19 speaker system in it. To me it's junk compared to the Alpine 9 speaker system I had in my 2015 RAM 1500 Longhorn.

So this HK system doesn't Really bad, But it has one very big issue that FCA refuse to address. Believe me, I've complained to customer care several times. A year later and no fix.
The problem is the 3 band EQ. If you adjust it up or down to make music sound nicer or to compensate for lower quality media sources, It barely makes any difference even if you adjust it all the way up or down. I know what the problem is. Each step of the adjustment needs to be more db. If I adjusted my Alpine system I had in my previous truck all the way up, The sub would blow the windows out. This HK system make a barely noticeable adjustment either way. The sub is barely working even at the highest setting of the EQ. The mid and high adjustment are the same way.

All FCA has to do is make a software adjustment to make the EQ more responsive. But they won't do it. If I could figure out a way to hack into the radio software, I'd do it myself or get someone to do it for me.

thanks everyone
I'm surprised, on the Alpine system it makes a big difference just going half way, so much for 19 way sound system.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

pmegason

Reaction score
Anybody know the best way to get through the wire harness plugs to install new speaker wires on the front doors?

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

thanks everyone
I doubt FCA is going to do anything with the built in EQ. The factory system is perfectly capable of having a much larger band EQ since the factory amplifier is a DSP. I felt the same as you about my last Alpine compared to the HK in my new truck. Solution for me: Bypass the OEM amp completely and running a DSP/Amp tuned to my liking.

cmflyersx2c

Reaction score
I doubt FCA is going to do anything with the built in EQ. The factory system is perfectly capable of having a much larger band EQ since the factory amplifier is a DSP. I felt the same as you about my last Alpine compared to the HK in my new truck. Solution for me: Bypass the OEM amp completely and running a DSP/Amp tuned to my liking.
Also Ya. My 2015 Alpine system kicked ***. But this HK system in my 2019 Ram is junk. Yes you are all correct. They bost 19 speakers. That's because they are counting the tweeters in a two way speaker as another speaker.

sppb32

Reaction score
I drilled 'em out
I didn't have any plugs in mine, 2020, I went straight through the boot, my 04 had the plugs and I drilled them as well.

pmegason

Reaction score
I didn't have any plugs in mine, 2020, I went straight through the boot, my 04 had the plugs and I drilled them as well.

Yeah, I messed with it this weekend. I can go right through them with no drilling. Now getting through the rubber boot is a different story. There doesn't seem to be much slack to pull the boot out far enough to actually work on fishing the wires through.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Yeah, I messed with it this weekend. I can go right through them with no drilling. Now getting through the rubber boot is a different story. There doesn't seem to be much slack to pull the boot out far enough to actually work on fishing the wires through.
The rubber boots are small and TIGHT. For me, it took a metal fishtape, a lot of electrical tape, and even more swearing. Took me 2 hours of battling to run wire to the 4 doors and it was probably the worst part of the entire install. Good luck!

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Hey all, if anyone can chime in on the rear headliner mid/tweeter removal that has done it before or shoot me a DM for some information on how to get the grills off I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure if the entire plastic grill comes out of the headliner or if just the inner grill comes out of the outer edge of the grill and don't want to mess up my headliner as the whole grill doesn't feel like it wants to come out at all. (Changing the 3.5's in there to some HATS).

Jason605

Reaction score
The CDT CL-69S.2 (two ohm) are $99 a pair on their site right now. I'll put these in the front doors. What about the back doors? On my Alpine system they're obviously two or three way as they have tweets in them. Crutchfield has the best deal on the Metra adaptors. $40 shipped for two sets for the 3.5s and two sets for the 6x9s. I bought a single infinity 3.5 with adaptor for the center speaker from a guy here. So I guess I just need to know what to get for the rear doors. 2 ohm would be best correct?

↓↓These?

I'll have replaced the 9 speakers for under $400 total.

Five Infinity REF-3032CFX 3.5s
Two CDT CL-69S.2 woofers for the front doors
Two CDT HD-690CFX.2 two-way for the rear doors.

What about the boom mat slim (3.5" deep) 6x9 speaker baffles for the doors. Looks like these trucks get a good bit of water in the doors.

Thoughts?
I'm about to order these speakers for the front and rear doors. Are you still running these and still happy with the way they sound vs the alpine speakers. Is it a major difference, loudness the same?

Heisrizn

Reaction score
I'm about to order these speakers for the front and rear doors. Are you still running these and still happy with the way they sound vs the alpine speakers. Is it a major difference, loudness the same?
We'll, they just came in. I was charged $20 shipping PER PAIR and they were shipped in one box after quite a delay.

I don't expect a difference in volume as I bought the 2ohm versions of each.

To answer your question, I've not had a chance to install.

Jason605

Reaction score
We'll, they just came in. I was charged $20 shipping PER PAIR and they were shipped in one box after quite a delay.

I don't expect a difference in volume as I bought the 2ohm versions of each.

To answer your question, I've not had a chance to install.
Ok. Shipping seems kind of high. I look forward to see what you think of them once installed.

minmar10

Reaction score
I have the 9 speaker alpine system with ANC and I am adding a amp and sub. I’ve read through this thread trying to understand exactly what I need. Correct me if I am wrong, I will need the AMPRO, IDatalink Bch3, and a DSR1? Any help would be appreciated!

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I have the 9 speaker alpine system with ANC and I am adding a amp and sub. I’ve read through this thread trying to understand exactly what I need. Correct me if I am wrong, I will need the AMPRO, IDatalink Bch3, and a DSR1? Any help would be appreciated!

All you will need is the amp pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online