5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Heisrizn

Reaction score
3-way in the doors is pointless. The front doors will only play the lows anyways. I went with CDT HD-690CFS.2 for my doors. Great mid bass and are 2 ohm to match the factory setup.

Your factory amp will run these and the dash speakers just fine.

For polarity my dash corner speakers were revered. You can get a polarity tester on Amazon for cheap.

AUTUT Automotive Plastic Shell Speaker Polarity Tester Phasemeter Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ55QHL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_MZEaGb8WDE8SG
Did those CDT speakers require any modification? Any issues with the windows?

With the polarity being reversed, what exactly does that mean? Thx for the help!

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Ideally you'd want mid bass woofers in your doors especially if you don't plan on amplifying them. I am using CDT CL-69S for the front doors and the infinity 3032cfx for the dash and headliner. Also adding 2 10's under the rear seats but that is only thing that will be amplified. I may add another set of the CDT's for the rear doors down the road but we will see.
Any issues with the infinity 3032cfx in the headliner?

et_ram

Reaction score
Yeah, no question that will do it. I've been looking at 5 channel amps which would give me 50rms to the four 6x9's and 200rms to the sub. I think that's more than adequate especially considering how the 6x9's sound already just on the infotainment system which is prob less than 20wpc
Screenshot-20210119-115948.png

I just had the two-way infinity set installed in my dash and doors for $150
Took a little over an hour
Sounds great
Much louder
Very high pitch up front tho
I can see why folks say 3 way would be too much high

I'm going to see which of these stock speakers can be used in my pagoda (71 benz SL)
I need some replacement tunes in it as we speak
And don't worry, it's a driver, not concours so I'm not worried about the aftermarket install

et_ram

Reaction score
Screenshot-20210119-115948.png

I just had the two-way infinity set installed in my dash and doors for $150
Took a little over an hour
Sounds great
Much louder
Very high pitch up front tho
I can see why folks say 3 way would be too much high

I'm going to see which of these stock speakers can be used in my pagoda (71 benz SL)
I need some replacement tunes in it as we speak
And don't worry, it's a driver, not concours so I'm not worried about the aftermarket install

LoL upon further review...
It's ok for a bare bones work truck
I tried to give it a lil juice and compare it to my new benz with the Fosgate powered sub in the trunk and it's not even close
I don't know what I was thinking
Need to level my expectations
But hey, as a work/fishing/hunting truck it's all I need

bradalove84

Reaction score
I have a 2020 big horn with a non etorque. I bypassed my anc with a $11 harness from crutch field. Installed the dsr1 with the ch4 adapter. I ran a skar skm 4 ch amp and infinity replacement speakers all around. My mid and high amp is mounted in place of my anc. I wired in an extra battery behind the 40 split of my back seats. Running a crossfire c5 2k amp to three skar vvx 8 dual 2 ohms. It slams!!! Will be adding katzkins seat covers in the next week or two and will try to get some pics 4FEB5046-A0A0-4F3B-8803-954913518D12.jpeg 06AAA6F5-6128-4D92-92EF-C531097459CD.jpeg 78416A15-03D3-42BE-ABF2-240F1723D1E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Heisrizn

Reaction score
3-way in the doors is pointless. The front doors will only play the lows anyways. I went with CDT HD-690CFS.2 for my doors. Great mid bass and are 2 ohm to match the factory setup.

Your factory amp will run these and the dash speakers just fine.

For polarity my dash corner speakers were revered. You can get a polarity tester on Amazon for cheap.

AUTUT Automotive Plastic Shell Speaker Polarity Tester Phasemeter Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ55QHL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_MZEaGb8WDE8SG
The CDT CL-69S.2 (two ohm) are $99 a pair on their site right now. I'll put these in the front doors. What about the back doors? On my Alpine system they're obviously two or three way as they have tweets in them. Crutchfield has the best deal on the Metra adaptors. $40 shipped for two sets for the 3.5s and two sets for the 6x9s. I bought a single infinity 3.5 with adaptor for the center speaker from a guy here. So I guess I just need to know what to get for the rear doors. 2 ohm would be best correct?

↓↓These?

I'll have replaced the 9 speakers for under $400 total.

Five Infinity REF-3032CFX 3.5s
Two CDT CL-69S.2 woofers for the front doors
Two CDT HD-690CFX.2 two-way for the rear doors.

What about the boom mat slim (3.5" deep) 6x9 speaker baffles for the doors. Looks like these trucks get a good bit of water in the doors.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

sppb32

Reaction score
The CDT CL-69S.2 (two ohm) are $99 a pair on their site right now. I'll put these in the front doors. What about the back doors? On my Alpine system they're obviously two or three way as they have tweets in them. Crutchfield has the best deal on the Metra adaptors. $40 shipped for two sets for the 3.5s and two sets for the 6x9s. I bought a single infinity 3.5 with adaptor for the center speaker from a guy here. So I guess I just need to know what to get for the rear doors. 2 ohm would be best correct?

↓↓These?

What about the boom mat slim (3.5" deep) 6x9 speaker baffles for the doors. Looks like these trucks get a good bit of water in the doors.

Thoughts?
Most speakers are designed to play on an big enclosure like a door or a trunk, puting a baffle behind them changes the way they are supposed to sound, if they have a paper cone you should be concerned with water and moisture but most are not.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

406Rebel

Reaction score

↓↓These?

Thoughts?
I’d run the same speakers front and rear. I was originally going to do the same thing you’re thinking and but a 3-way in the rear. After talking to a few people and CDT they said it’s beat to keep the lows down low and the highs up higher. Will give you a much better soundstage. Also, a lot of SQ guys won’t even use the rear speakers. They will remove them or fade to the front. Something you can play with to see what you like best but I’d do same speakers in front and rear. Don’t worry about terminals getting wet, I haven’t heard anyone have issues. Just mount the connections down so water can’t sit on them.

djants

Reaction score
I have the alpine 9 speaker system. I bought 3 infinity Reference REF-3032cfx speakers to replace the right, center, and left dash speakers with the metra adapters. Will this be ok? Should I look out for anything?

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
So much info!! Wish I would have found before speaker purchase and install I completed 2 weeks ago. I currently have inf ref 3032 cfx in dash and 9633ix in all doors. The sound is an improvement, but not quite right sounding. Its no doubt due to the fronts being taken from 8 ohm to now 3 ohm and being in parallel with the front door speakers. What's the best way to resolve the issues if I was not getting an Amp and I do have anc, since I have a 2019 1500 classic with hemi. I would like to keep the speakers, so do I need resistors? Blockers? Please help. If I were to buy an Amp, what would you suggest? I saw things about people re wiring their front dash, but what does this do? Does it separate the dash from the front doors?

sppb32

Reaction score
So much info!! Wish I would have found before speaker purchase and install I completed 2 weeks ago. I currently have inf ref 3032 cfx in dash and 9633ix in all doors. The sound is an improvement, but not quite right sounding. Its no doubt due to the fronts being taken from 8 ohm to now 3 ohm and being in parallel with the front door speakers. What's the best way to resolve the issues if I was not getting an Amp and I do have anc, since I have a 2019 1500 classic with hemi. I would like to keep the speakers, so do I need resistors? Blockers? Please help. If I were to buy an Amp, what would you suggest? I saw things about people re wiring their front dash, but what does this do? Does it separate the dash from the front doors?
What oem system do you have? Amplified? I can almost guarantee you they were not 8 ohm, as far as i know most are 2ohm.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What oem system do you have? Amplified? I can almost guarantee you they were not 8 ohm, as far as i know most are 2ohm.

For the base 6 speaker audio the dash speakers are 8 ohms and the doors are 2 ohms.

The amplified systems (Alpine and HK) are different from the base audio.

I don't know what "not quite right sounding" is but you have several options from least to most expensive:

1. Play around with the EQ to see if you can improve the sound.
2. Adding a resistor. **
3. If the Infinity speakers don't have bass blockers you could add some to see if dropping the lows out of the dash makes a difference.
4. Change out speakers.

** Adding a resistor will help change the load between the dash and front door speakers but you will be effectively adding a 3rd speaker in that loop. Even though the resistor can't play sound it will drop the appropriate amount of voltage for the resistance. You will re-balance the load with the door speaker but you will have a weaker dash speaker now that there's another resistor in the dash circuit.

Those are the basic options until you get into changing the system around to benefit the speakers (amps, bypasses, wiring, etc.) which adds to the price and complexity. I have not done any of that so can't speak to it. Others may chime in with some other solutions.

phillipcgp

Reaction score
Have the 6 speaker system. Is there wiring for the center dash speaker there? When I upgrade the side dash speaker can I put one of the stock speakers in the center?

sppb32

Reaction score
Don't add anything a 3 ohm will sound louder than a 8 ohm and that's what you want in the dash, is the polarity correct, some manufacturers reverse the parity on some speaker to enhance sound distribution.
That's why I ran all new wires to my front doors and dash not to deal with factory wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread