5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
For the base 6 speaker audio the dash speakers are 8 ohms and the doors are 2 ohms.

The amplified systems (Alpine and HK) are different from the base audio.

I don't know what "not quite right sounding" is but you have several options from least to most expensive:

1. Play around with the EQ to see if you can improve the sound.
2. Adding a resistor. **
3. If the Infinity speakers don't have bass blockers you could add some to see if dropping the lows out of the dash makes a difference.
4. Change out speakers.

** Adding a resistor will help change the load between the dash and front door speakers but you will be effectively adding a 3rd speaker in that loop. Even though the resistor can't play sound it will drop the appropriate amount of voltage for the resistance. You will re-balance the load with the door speaker but you will have a weaker dash speaker now that there's another resistor in the dash circuit.

Those are the basic options until you get into changing the system around to benefit the speakers (amps, bypasses, wiring, etc.) which adds to the price and complexity. I have not done any of that so can't speak to it. Others may chime in with some other solutions.
Thank you for the response! I found out using sound pop app that my front right speaker was out of phase. I swapped the wires and it now sounds a bit more normal. All speakers now in the truck are + phase.
With the anc module, how would I go to 6 channels? I do not have any resistors installed, would that help anything? Currently I have the system pushed to the back speakers 2 clicks. If I were to add an Amp, what would you suggest? Also maybe a dsp? Ok... so what parts for a 6 channel Amp, display, and any adaptors needed to make it plug and play?? Not looking for subs.

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
What oem system do you have? Amplified? I can almost guarantee you they were not 8 ohm, as far as i know most are 2ohm.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
Sppb, the two front dash speakers had 8 ohm stamped on the back of them. I have a 2019 classic 1500 with the hemi, so with the anc module under the front seat. I discovered the front right was reversed polarity so I corrected that last night. Just trying to figure out what else I can do to get the best sound out of this setup. I don't want to add subs, but am willing to do amps, dsp (have to keep reading on this as it's new to me), bass blockers, resistors.. whatever. Just looking for input from you guys to get me going in right direction.

sppb32

Reaction score
If the dash speakers are 8ohm chances are they are connected in parallel with the door speakers.
A 6 channel amplifiers is quite expensive for what it is, you would be fine with a 4 channel for the front doors and dash but I'm afraid you will have to bypass the ANC to get a good sound.

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
If the dash speakers are 8ohm chances are they are connected in parallel with the door speakers.
A 6 channel amplifiers is quite expensive for what it is, you would be fine with a 4 channel for the front doors and dash but I'm afraid you will have to bypass the ANC to get a good sound.

So I have thought about this, please tell me your thoughts. What about a dsr1, with associated cable bundle, a 6 channel 50w rms.. I could rewire the dash speakers separately, right? Am I way off base with this thought? The speakers sound good, but I would love to put an amp and dsp to them.

sppb32

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the DSR1,I have the PAC module and a Bluetooth 6 channel DSP, I don't feel the need to amplify the back door speakers for now but knowing me I'll end up doing it just not using a 6 channel amp I rather use 2 x 4 channel.
I would rewire everything, the doors are very easy to do i did the front ones about 10 minutes each.
Anyway you are going to lack low frequency response with even the best 6x9, a small sealed 10" subwoofer can do wonders I the sound quality.
5ca9a0fef0e0971a64d01eebd2c14e39.jpg

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the DSR1,I have the PAC module and a Bluetooth 6 channel DSP, I don't feel the need to amplify the back door speakers for now but knowing me I'll end up doing it just not using a 6 channel amp I rather use 2 x 4 channel.
I would rewire everything, the doors are very easy to do i did the front ones about 10 minutes each.
Anyway you are going to lack low frequency response with even the best 6x9, a small sealed 10" subwoofer can do wonders I the sound quality.
5ca9a0fef0e0971a64d01eebd2c14e39.jpg

What did thT run total?

sppb32

Reaction score
What did thT run total?
I got the Taramps amplifier and the DSP on Black Friday for $340, the Polk Audio PAD-4000.4 i got it used a while back on Ebay for $60 i think (also have a brand new one), i have allot of car audio stuff i must have over 30 amplifiers and maybe just as many subwoofers, some speakers, cables, fuse blocks...I've been a car audio fan for 35 years lol
These are some of the amplifiers i own.

Attachments

• 20210101_145155.jpg
    20210101_145155.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 68

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
I got the Taramps amplifier and the DSP on Black Friday for $340, the Polk Audio PAD-4000.4 i got it used a while back on Ebay for $60 i think (also have a brand new one), i have allot of car audio stuff i must have over 30 amplifiers and maybe just as many subwoofers, some speakers, cables, fuse blocks...I've been a car audio fan for 35 years lol
Very sweet! So if all I want to do is add an amplifier to the 6x9's and hoof up a dsr1, is that able to be done? What would you recommend?

805myth1

Reaction score
Very sweet! So if all I want to do is add an amplifier to the 6x9's and hoof up a dsr1, is that able to be done? What would you recommend?
If you're planning to keep the other speakers powered with the factory amp, then the dsr1 is not the right choice. The dsr1 is for when you want to run all the speakers from aftermarket amps and remove the factory amp/ acn.

sppb32

Reaction score
My suggestion is the DSR1(or similar DSP) is a must have, a 4 channel amplifier for the dash speakers and the front doors, the rear are just fill in sound, most sound should come from in front of you like you are in a concert, if you want you can amplify the rear ones as well but to to overpower the front stage, in this case 2 4 channel amplifiers would be the way to go 400X4 for the dash and rear doors and the 800x4 for the front doors and a small subwoofer and you would have a nice sound system
Small amplifiers that make rated power and don't break the bank.
Amazon.com: Taramp's TS 400X4 2 Ohms 4 Channel 400 Watts Class D Full Range Amplifier: Electronics
Amazon.com: Taramp's DS 800x4 2 Ohms 4 Channels 800 Watts Amplifier

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
If you're planning to keep the other speakers powered with the factory amp, then the dsr1 is not the right choice. The dsr1 is for when you want to run all the speakers from aftermarket amps and remove the factory amp/ acn.
I just went and looked under drivers seat and I assumed I would see an anc there since I have the hemi, but it sure doesn't look like it. I guess this will change things a bit..

805myth1

Reaction score
Maybe you have to pug in behind the head unit. Not really familiar with the classics' setup, sorry. But look around on pac's website or idatalink's to see what they have available for the classics.

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
Ok I will check it out and see what's best. I see the connections under the seat and almost like its bypassed. Have a feeling this is about to have me sleeping on the couch soon lololol

Jason605

Reaction score
I want to add the JL Stealthbox and amp the door speakers, use the factory amp for roof and dash but want dsp. What is your opinion on the JL amp VX1000/5i. Or would the dash and roof benefit from dsp also. I would also get the PAC behind dash.

sppb32

Reaction score
JL Audio makes very good stuff but 25% of the price is for the brand name, that Stealthbox is a bit overpriced and that 5 channel amplifier doesn't have the power to push it properly. you can do better with a

D-6.1200 | AudioControl if you want the DSP built in ( you can find it cheaper if you shop around) 6 Channel to amplify the dash and doors. forget the headliner speakers i'm not even using them i have the surround sound disabled​

Audio Control d-6.1200 high-power 6 channel dsp matrix amplifier with accubass | eBay

and a dedicated subwoofer amplifier​

audiocontrol Lc-1.800 audio control sub amp 851523007386 | eBay

is always better than any 5 channel.​

805myth1

Reaction score

I'm running 2 of these 5 channel amps. Full range channels are 120 watts × 4 @ 4ohm and sub is 800 watts × 1 @ 1ohm.

Jagzzzzzz

Reaction score
My suggestion is the DSR1(or similar DSP) is a must have, a 4 channel amplifier for the dash speakers and the front doors, the rear are just fill in sound, most sound should come from in front of you like you are in a concert, if you want you can amplify the rear ones as well but to to overpower the front stage, in this case 2 4 channel amplifiers would be the way to go 400X4 for the dash and rear doors and the 800x4 for the front doors and a small subwoofer and you would have a nice sound system
Small amplifiers that make rated power and don't break the bank.
Amazon.com: Taramp's TS 400X4 2 Ohms 4 Channel 400 Watts Class D Full Range Amplifier: Electronics
Amazon.com: Taramp's DS 800x4 2 Ohms 4 Channels 800 Watts Amplifier
Ok so I am going to probably go with the dsr1 and the taramp 400x4 for the 6x9. I will amp the sub later, but what harness do I need? Qhat do you think I need to complete this project?

Users who are viewing this thread