5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

sppb32

Reaction score
Today i installed the 4 channel amplifier, the new subwoofer amplifier and the DSP i was able to fit all behind the 40 seat wired everything and set the gains and crossovers, tomorrow i'll install the box with the subwoofers, can't wait.

Attachments

• 20201212_161705.jpg
    20201212_161705.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 153

sppb32

Reaction score
All done, they sound awesome.
d2a2ae94d981243fd90651dc3aa4f681.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

MassGasMan

Reaction score
Wow this looks awesome ☝! I'll bet it pounds, good job. I'm starting to wish I didn't go with a single 8" haha

et_ram

Reaction score
After reading about fifty pages of this thread I'm still slightly lost on the amp requirements.
I have a 2020 base model v6 1500 tradesman with the base 6 speaker stereo.
I want just something a wee bit better than stock sounds (only upgrading speaks...NO sub).
So I bought two pair of the infiniti 9632 for the doors and the matching infinity 3032 for the dash.

Do I need (or should I get) a stand alone amp to power these speakers or will the stock head unit be good enough (just plug and play)???

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading about fifty pages of this thread I'm still slightly lost on the amp requirements.
I have a 2020 base model v6 1500 tradesman with the base 6 speaker stereo.
I want just something a wee bit better than stock sounds (only upgrading speaks...NO sub).
So I bought two pair of the infiniti 9632 for the doors and the matching infinity 3032 for the dash.

Do I need (or should I get) a stand alone amp to power these speakers or will the stock head unit be good enough (just plug and play)???
The OEM system will drive them but you may not get the volume you are looking for.

The 3032s should be fine at 25W RMS. The 9632s are 100W RMS so will be power hungry for maximum performance. Your stock system will drive them but will probably come up short as you crank up the volume.

You will also need to experiment with the equalizer. The base 6 speaker system has 8 ohm dash speakers and 2 ohm door speakers. The dash and front door speakers are in parallel so you cannot adjust any fade between those two. Your Infinity 3032 is a 3 ohm speaker so will be pulling more power than the stock ones so you might have to tone down the highs to balance your sound up front.

The one benefit you have is that you don't have ANC to complicate any modifications you make.

et_ram

Reaction score
The OEM system will drive them but you may not get the volume you are looking for.

The 3032s should be fine at 25W RMS. The 9632s are 100W RMS so will be power hungry for maximum performance. Your stock system will drive them but will probably come up short as you crank up the volume.

You will also need to experiment with the equalizer. The base 6 speaker system has 8 ohm dash speakers and 2 ohm door speakers. The dash and front door speakers are in parallel so you cannot adjust any fade between those two. Your Infinity 3032 is a 3 ohm speaker so will be pulling more power than the stock ones so you might have to tone down the highs to balance your sound up front.

The one benefit you have is that you don't have ANC to complicate any modifications you make.
Any suggestion for an amp to power these six speakers?
Last time I bought an amp Xtant ruled the roost

et_ram

Reaction score
/,
Any suggestion for an amp to power these six speakers?
Last time I bought an amp Xtant ruled the roost

Would the above be a good option?

805myth1

Reaction score
Finally completed making my sub box, got the new pair of 10s installed. I just swapped them in exchange for the single 12" L7T.

Attachments

• 20201217_183813.jpg
    20201217_183813.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 104

KirkDS

Reaction score
This is an amazing thread with such a crazy amount of great info. That being said, after tons of digging, I'm hoping someone can confirm a few things I haven't been able to myself.

I have the Alpine system.
If I go with Amp Pro to DSP via TOSLINK - to amps for running speakers / subs :
1. Can I completely remove the factory amp / ANC unit? Is there any reason to keep it connected?
2. Do the factory controls for fading, EQ, etc. still function? I assume those functions are interpreted by the Amp Pro and passed along to the DSP?
3. Is the microphone for phone, etc. impacted by any of this, or is it directly attached to the head unit?
4. For speaker connections to amps, I believe you could utilize the speaker out harness from the factory amp and split out the connections via a separate PAC harness?

Whew...thanks for any info!

dtlrshp

Reaction score
This is an amazing thread with such a crazy amount of great info. That being said, after tons of digging, I'm hoping someone can confirm a few things I haven't been able to myself.

1. Can I completely remove the factory amp / ANC unit? Is there any reason to keep it connected?
2. Do the factory controls for fading, EQ, etc. still function? I assume those functions are interpreted by the Amp Pro and passed along to the DSP?
3. Is the microphone for phone, etc. impacted by any of this, or is it directly attached to the head unit?
4. For speaker connections to amps, I believe you could utilize the speaker out harness from the factory amp and split out the connections via a separate PAC harness?

1. You can if you're replacing all new speakers and/or with new amplifiers, but you can still run your alpine-amped' rear speakers via the OEM amp for rear fill while aftermarket amp'ing the fronts + subs (assuming that's what you're running). AFAIK disconnecting one + of the ANC disables all of the ANC. That's how I disconnected mine.
2. Factory controls all still function as it would normally, as do the microphones, calls, chimes, etc. You can adjust the chime loudness via the pac amp pro. The DSP is just there to process eq, timing, phase, etc. bypassing the tuning on your amplifier, so IMO it adding a DSP in-line between the amp-pro and your amplifier doesn't change the functionality of the Amp Pro. This is where I am at with my build; currently running active straight to the amp but considering adding a Dayton DSP408 in-line.
3. Microphone is not impacted
4. You could, but front doors + front corner dash speakers are wired in parallel stock. For my anyway, I tapped into the door speakers at the factory amp, and ran new speaker wires to the dash corners, which was the easier path to take as you don't need to mess with the door molex connector.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

i have the "alpine".i use the AmpPro.i have the dash and the rear roof speaker running off the stock amp.but as for the door&sub(HomeMade)run off the after market amp.its a 5ch.i never disable the stock sub.it is still running off the stock amp.but my "HomeMade" is running off the after market.how does it all work and sound?......:love:(y)

Attachments

• 20201203_151902_InPi.jpg
    20201203_151902_InPi.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 91

sppb32

Reaction score
All good info here, you have to keep the oem amp connected, you have 3 sets of RCA front rear and volume controlled subwoofer+ 1 optical output (optional) you can add a DSP if you want, I did because I'm a hard head car audio enthusiast.
If you're going to add a DSP get one with Bluetooth control like the 6 channel Expert PX2 awesome DSP for the money and the app works great if you don't mind using a laptop the Cadence dsp4.8 is a great choice, anyways if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

KirkDS

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
Curious what people are doing with their rear headliner speakers when they go with a full system upgrade? Disconnect them? Replace them with better speakers? How would you configure them in a DSP setup?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious what people are doing with their rear headliner speakers when they go with a full system upgrade? Disconnect them? Replace them with better speakers? How would you configure them in a DSP setup?
to me they are just "RearFill"cant really hear them if your sitting up front(IMHO)!

sppb32

Reaction score
I don't use them all I have the surround disabled on the head unit surround sound is for movies and I don't think the head unit has a surround sound processor in it, it sounds ok if you listen to podcasts but on music it just kills the front stage.

19Longhorn

Reaction score
Total Ram noob here, and want to add an amp and sub to the system in my 2019 1500 Longhorn. I've replaced 6 Alpine speakers w Infinity 3 way 6x9 and 3.5 Infinitys in the dash (disconnected the center dash). Didn't realize the door speakers were woofers only so duh on me there. Should have done more research.

Sounds much better already but of course I want more. Don't need to get crazy, I'm thinking a 5 channel amp would be fine. Im guessing I can find a sub that will fit under the rear seat somewhere? Or build my own box if not.

The confusion lies in the hookup, even after reading til I'm cross eyed. What's the latest or best or most idiot proof or whatever harness to bypass the amp (and I'm assuming, ANC)?

And I haven't even really started looking at amps. I'm hoping to find one that will have some EQ function? if that doesn't exist, then some sort of DSP is in the cards I guess. I know nothing of that new fangled stuff lol.

And also, where is the crossover for the front door speakers handled? If I add an amp, will they get a full range signal? Or is that crossover handled earlier in the chain?

If you guys are tired of answering noob questions I totally get it!

805myth1

Reaction score
Total Ram noob here, and want to add an amp and sub to the system in my 2019 1500 Longhorn. I've replaced 6 Alpine speakers w Infinity 3 way 6x9 and 3.5 Infinitys in the dash (disconnected the center dash). Didn't realize the door speakers were woofers only so duh on me there. Should have done more research.

Sounds much better already but of course I want more. Don't need to get crazy, I'm thinking a 5 channel amp would be fine. Im guessing I can find a sub that will fit under the rear seat somewhere? Or build my own box if not.

The confusion lies in the hookup, even after reading til I'm cross eyed. What's the latest or best or most idiot proof or whatever harness to bypass the amp (and I'm assuming, ANC)?

And I haven't even really started looking at amps. I'm hoping to find one that will have some EQ function? if that doesn't exist, then some sort of DSP is in the cards I guess. I know nothing of that new fangled stuff lol.

And also, where is the crossover for the front door speakers handled? If I add an amp, will they get a full range signal? Or is that crossover handled earlier in the chain?

If you guys are tired of answering noob questions I totally get it!

I also have the alpine system and I also installed infinity ref 3032cfx and 9623ix at first. But once I put them to an aftermarket amp, they could not handle the extra power. Especially the 3032cfx being only 25 watts rms, I had the 9623ix's powered with about 85 watts and they're supposedly 100 watts rms. So if you want more power for your speakers I would suggest using different speakers if you're going to amplify them with an aftermarket amp. But if you think you just need more low end power just add a mono block and woofer. The front door and dash speakers are independent from each other and crossovers are controlled by the factory alpine amp. I used the Rockford Fosgate dsr1 to replace it. But I did that knowing I was going to power everything from aftermarket amps. If you are trying to keep some speakers powered with the factory amp, many have used an amp pro to keep the factory amp and added either a monoblock or 5 channel amp. You will need to search the forums for more info on the amp pro, if you choose to go that route.

sppb32

Reaction score
I also have the alpine system and I also installed infinity ref 3032cfx and 9623ix at first. But once I put them to an aftermarket amp, they could not handle the extra power. Especially the 3032cfx being only 25 watts rms, I had the 9623ix's powered with about 85 watts and they're supposedly 100 watts rms. So if you want more power for your speakers I would suggest using different speakers if you're going to amplify them with an aftermarket amp. But if you think you just need more low end power just add a mono block and woofer. The front door and dash speakers are independent from each other and crossovers are controlled by the factory alpine amp. I used the Rockford Fosgate dsr1 to replace it. But I did that knowing I was going to power everything from aftermarket amps. If you are trying to keep some speakers powered with the factory amp, many have used an amp pro to keep the factory amp and added either a monoblock or 5 channel amp. You will need to search the forums for more info on the amp pro, if you choose to go that route.
The 3032cfx can handle more than 25 watts but you have to use a crossover set to 250hz or higher, you can also lower the gain on the amplifier.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that all what i did.i use the "AmpPro",afterMarketAmp and the stock one.works for me (y)

Users who are viewing this thread