5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

RichInMN

Reaction score
Any recommendations on amp to go with? Sorry im a noob at this
That's quite OK, this stuff is as highly specialized and as individual as musical tastes. Just make sure you get the features you need, either in an Amp + DSP combo, or within the Amp itself (like an active variable crossover, and high-level inputs). Some amps have a bluetooth DSP built-in these days as well. Then it's a matter of power & features per $$$ that you are willing to spend, and also what speakers you're pairing with. In my case, I went to the upper end of most of these categories :ROFLMAO:

A lot of folks shop Crutchfield. I like some of the others like Sonic Electronix & Beach Audio. Lots of good choices these days. (y)

Ryncody

Reaction score
I’m going to try and put the HK factory sub in the 6 speaker non-amp system. Using a Kicker Cx800.1 (roughly 250w at 5 ohm) and will be a good amp if I switch the sub out for something different.
I’m going to use one the the ANC bypass harness to grab the High-level... An I’ll be using the high level in on the amp. Getting switched is easy enough, you can grab from the ANC if wished.
I’m going to remove the ANC and mount the amp in it’s place. Run 4 AWG to the amp itself.

This will allow me to upgrade in the future for a different sub. I would have just made a box, but I no longer have a table saw (sad face)

couple things....1. With AlfaOBD you can turn off the speaker circuit protection (if it sees a short, or open) this may bypass some issues folks are having hooking up. Just a thought.

The HK sub is a crazy looking passive radiator/inverted sub! Yes, it may be the best for the box! Yes, it might be limited space! But, what I’ve learned in my 20 years of this stuff.... Factory amps can suck! Tho some a great!
My thoughts are (hopfully) that I’ll be able to tune the box a bit more, play with x over points a little bit, no gain some control over it for decent sound.
I’m board! I don’t want to spend 1000 on a sub box! 147 was low enough to experiment. I’ve also found the a Pioneer shallow mount will fit in the factory sub box, with little modifications to the box, as well a 1.25 speaker ring to set it up a bit (from calculations) BUT the inside of the stock sub box will have to be cut out a bit (has these plastic tab lines all over. They will need to go to fit any other sub. Also, Polly fill! A cheat way to make a sub feel like it’s in a bigger box.

going to call around today and find some power wire, ANC harness (I hope our local shop carries it) Some dyno-Matt for behind the sub, or tar paper.. And go get the amp.
Unless someone else has a suggestion for sub amp?
Also, Like mentioned use the high level in... I’ll start with this! If I need more ability to tune, I can always toss in a sub DSP....... If needed. To which being that factory sub... I might!

Suggestions on sub DSP. Thinking maybe epicenter from Audio Control... But I know many others are out! I don’t think I need a crazy 6 ch DSP. I don’t want to touch the interior speakers yet.
I picked up a DD AUDIO 6.75" subwoofer in downfure ported box. Fits perfectly under 40 rear seat. With room, doesn't block the floor mat or the storage bin in floor. 250/500 watts. Cost me $220, added $200 kicker key 500.1 amp, $30 anc bypass harness, and then added some $120 infinity primus 6x9 component in fromt door, and $70 kicker in dash, tho I'm swapping the kickers for infinity. But this lil speaker. Hits harder than the 2 kicker 10s I had few years back in my 4th gen . Best $600 system ever.

Shives

Reaction score
I’ve been able to put the factory HK in and wow... for what that is... it’s amazing. And again, under 600 with box. Awesome solutions!!

Tino.Nieves

Reaction score
I have the 2020 Ram Rebel V6 eTorque Rebel. I’be replaced the 6 speakers, infinity for the 3.5” and the infinity 3 way for the rear doors, then mid’s in the front doors anticipating that I’ll be adding an amp and sub.
Now I’m researching and my plan was to use the Fosgate DSR1,with my vehicle specific T harness, but I’ve just learned I don’t have the ANC in my truck?
Is there anything I can use that is similar where it’s just plug and play? I really want to avoid splicing into factory harness if possible and now I’m back to square one with my planning.
Thanks!

sppb32

Reaction score
Yesterday i started building a dual 10 subwoofer box for under the rear seat of my 2020 Quad cab, i have a single 12 right now but i can do a bit better, i should end up with around 2.5 cf just perfect for a pair of Sundown audio SLD 10's, is not going to be easy to calculate the exact area inside the box to calculate the port length but i'll figure it out.
I ordered one from Fox Acoustics but waited 4 weeks and never got shipped, no answer to emails either, i had to open a Paypal claim to get my money back.
It's coming along pretty nice, some fancy cuts and some fiberglass to get as much air space as possible, raised the seats 7/8" 20201121_111524.jpg 20201121_163030.jpg 20201122_110940.jpg 20201122_110951.jpg 20201122_111017.jpg 20201122_111025.jpg

406Rebel

Reaction score
I have the 2020 Ram Rebel V6 eTorque Rebel. I’be replaced the 6 speakers, infinity for the 3.5” and the infinity 3 way for the rear doors, then mid’s in the front doors anticipating that I’ll be adding an amp and sub.
Now I’m researching and my plan was to use the Fosgate DSR1,with my vehicle specific T harness, but I’ve just learned I don’t have the ANC in my truck?
Is there anything I can use that is similar where it’s just plug and play? I really want to avoid splicing into factory harness if possible and now I’m back to square one with my planning.
Thanks!
Will the DSR1 not work with the non amplified system? Haven’t looked much into it. Can use the PAC AP4-CH41 for signal if you are adding an aftermarket amp.

Chavez98

Reaction score
Yesterday i started building a dual 10 subwoofer box for under the rear seat of my 2020 Quad cab, i have a single 12 right now but i can do a bit better, i should end up with around 2.5 cf just perfect for a pair of Sundown audio SLD 10's, is not going to be easy to calculate the exact area inside the box to calculate the port length but i'll figure it out.
I ordered one from Fox Acoustics but waited 4 weeks and never got shipped, no answer to emails either, i had to open a Paypal claim to get my money back.
It's coming along pretty nice, some fancy cuts and some fiberglass to get as much air space as possible, raised the seats 7/8"

I order a Fox Acoustics box Nov 9 . I wasn't planning to see it until mid December. Reading your message has me worried. Have they responded to the PayPal claim? By the way, nice looking build.

Shives

Reaction score
Thanks!
Great question! I would do a search and see if anyone has made a comment about this yet. Also, being I have the 5.7 and the ANC we have the units under the drivers seat. Do you have any harness or anything under the seat? Push your seat all the way up, and look around the vent area, move the carpet and look for some plugs. Take photos and post.
Other wise, you can get the speaker wires from a few places. I would recommend the front speakers! Not the rear. Grab them behind the deck with a LOC, or each kick panel. You can splice on-top of the wore without cutting it. Take off the shielding with wire strippers and a razor blade. Carful not to cut the copper. Just the shield. So, take wire strippers and make to small cuts 1 inch apart. (All you’ll do is find the right opening on your strippers and cut around insulation) once you made your two cuts, take the razor and slice down, to unwrap. Take a pick or something to split the copper on two... I call this splitting the legs! Take your LOC wire strip back about 1.5 inches. Wrap between the speaker wire, and wrap around. Then solder and tape. If you wrap right, you don’t really need solder)

anyways, do this four times, and then hook up your RCA.
With the non-amp system you can’t really use the items for an amped system. Most after market amps will take high level.
Another area I see people failing it matching the subs impedance to the amp correctly. Make sure you match your voice coils to the amp!
If your amp is not 1 ohm stable.. you can’t wire 2 4ohm dual voice in Parallel. A single dual 2 would be 2, 2 plus 2 in parallel would be 1 ohm. I also find running subs in series sounds like **** to me. So, match your subs.
Find a good amp that’s 1 ohm stable with a bunch of power, that has enough for your needs at 2 ohms if your doing that setup. In other words... leave over head room.

I added the factory HK subwoofer to the non-amp system... sub was 5.5 ohms. It wants to see 206 or 203 watts. RMS. (From what I was told) I picked the Kicker Cxi800.1 why?
Look at the power.
MODEL
CXA800.1
Power (watts/ch) 4 Ohm
300x1
Power (watts/ch) 2 Ohm
600x1
Power (watts/ch) 1 Ohm
800x1

So roughly at 5.5 ohm I’m getting right around what the sub wants to perform. And by all means it performs just well with the mods I made to the box. Now, if I ever want to try anything else... I have an amp that’s 1 ohm... and 800 watts rms. Actually it’s quiet a bit more with the power spec sheet they sent. So, I would have the ability to run two subs around 400 watts ea. With the right coil setup. This gives me a good amount of options for subs to run! Remember, we are a truck, and are not running for SQ or DBL at USCA or IASCA. Lol. Well, maybe you might.
Also, remote gain or remote bass knob or module... Very important. Know our trucks don’t have a perfect sound, nor does every song. Sometimes we need a small adjustment. So, this makes that situation very easy! Make sure you get one.

hope this did not kill anyone’s morning! Please let me know about that E torque. Jimmy07 is a great source of knowledge as well.

jstenger92

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 2500 big horn crew cab 4x4 that has the 8.4 screen 6 speaker system and I looked under my driver and passenger seats but did not find the ANC module. any help is much appreciated!

sppb32

Reaction score
I order a Fox Acoustics box Nov 9 . I wasn't planning to see it until mid December. Reading your message has me worried. Have they responded to the PayPal claim? By the way, nice looking build.
Thanks,
They did respond to the claim 2 days before resolution (4 weeks after order was placed) this was the message: "Please see the home page of our website. The advertised lead time is 3 weeks before orders ship."
I think I paid enough for the box ($353.31) not to have to wait over 1 month for it.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

MassGasMan

Reaction score
Alright, I too am have some info overload. I‘ve got a 2020 ecodiesel with stock 6 speaker on the 8.4 infotainment system. I’ve got an 8” dvc sub, box and matching amp. I also picked up a LOC w/ bass knob, and KnuKonceptz wiring kit. My Pioneer amp has high input with auto on, so my plan was to tie into the front speakers or just use the LOC if I need to. I’ve been reading this forum for days trying to determine what the best place was to tie in and now I’m confused. I guess I don’t know if I have ANC, so I’ll look under my seats today. At this point, should I plan to pull the 8.4 and splice in behind it? To not screw up the head unit in any way, am I better off using the high input rather than wiring in a LOC and running RCA’s. I wish there was simply an “add an amp” harness that was plug and play for these! Any advice is appreciated!

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Will the DSR1 not work with the non amplified system? Haven’t looked much into it. Can use the PAC AP4-CH41 for signal if you are adding an aftermarket amp.
I'm on my second RF DSR1 in a year and I would look at another brand. Every few weeks the sound will fade in and out.

crazycrew

Reaction score
I picked up a DD AUDIO 6.75" subwoofer in downfure ported box. Fits perfectly under 40 rear seat. With room, doesn't block the floor mat or the storage bin in floor. 250/500 watts. Cost me $220, added $200 kicker key 500.1 amp, $30 anc bypass harness, and then added some $120 infinity primus 6x9 component in fromt door, and $70 kicker in dash, tho I'm swapping the kickers for infinity. But this lil speaker. Hits harder than the 2 kicker 10s I had few years back in my 4th gen . Best $600 system ever.
Do you mind Linking that DD sub? Can't seem to find it!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Chavez98

Reaction score
Thanks,
They did respond to the claim 2 days before resolution (4 weeks after order was placed) this was the message: "Please see the home page of our website. The advertised lead time is 3 weeks before orders ship."
I think I paid enough for the box ($353.31) not to have to wait over 1 month for it.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I just hit the 1 month mark. I expect get shipping information this week or the next. I guess I’ll find out how it goes. Hopefully I won’t have to file a PP claim.

crazycrew

Reaction score
I just hit the 1 month mark. I expect get shipping information this week or the next. I guess I’ll find out how it goes. Hopefully I won’t have to file a PP claim.
They posted this Tuesday!

a823ae678fe20af9b63b709c242e335f.jpg

sppb32

Reaction score
Well i just finished mine i took my time but i'm able ti fit a full 7" mounting deep subwoofer so i opted for the American Bass XR10d2 and they sound amazing in this box
20201205 104639 - YouTube

Attachments

• 20201211_163816.jpg
    20201211_163816.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20201211_163845.jpg
    20201211_163845.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 75

sppb32

Reaction score
They posted this Tuesday!

a823ae678fe20af9b63b709c242e335f.jpg

That's sad, i've heard good things about their work i was a little upset for waiting so long for such an expensive sub box but i guess is because i can build my own i don't think it's such an hard task, once you have all the panels built all you have to do is copy them to build more.

Users who are viewing this thread