5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Chillz

Reaction score
I have updated my system over the weekend using the following:
4 JL C2 6x9 for front and rear doors powered by a JL XD400.4v2 amp.
2 Infinity reference REF-3032cfx 3.5 with the resistor it came with.
1 Pioneer TS-SWX2002 12 inch Shallow mount powered by Planet Audio AC1600.4 (Temporarily)
Audio Control LC7i - Powered using remote wire fuse tap.
Pac ANC- CH01. Harness

I ran into an issue where when everything is factory, If I shut the headunit off, disconnect from the ANC and connect to the harness everything works awesome. If I shut everything off, leave for 15 minutes or so, turn the headunit back on nothing works, Its like there is no signal coming from the headunit. If I put everything back to factory, wait a few minutes the system starts working fine again. At that point and can connect back to the harness and everything works.

Any thoughts on whats going on and how to fix this issue?

RichInMN

Reaction score
1 Pioneer TS-SWX2002 12 inch Shallow mount powered by Planet Audio AC1600.4 (Temporarily)
Pac ANC- CH01. Harness

I ran into an issue where when everything is factory, If I shut the headunit off, disconnect from the ANC and connect to the harness everything works awesome. If I shut everything off, leave for 15 minutes or so, turn the headunit back on nothing works, Its like there is no signal coming from the headunit. If I put everything back to factory, wait a few minutes the system starts working fine again. At that point and can connect back to the harness and everything works.

If you are using high-level inputs to go from the Head Unit speaker outs into the amp or a line converter, the HU may shut off because it sees no load.

Some folks have added in-line resistors (if you search the stereo thread for resistor you'll find details), some folks have bought a specialty harness with resistors already soldered into it. In my case, my DSP presents a slight load which was convenient, and meant I didn't need resistors.

The information above assumes you have the Base 6 setup... Good luck!

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Pac ANC- CH01. Harness

Two questions:
1. Do you have the base audio system or the premium (alpine or HK)?
The base system will not need resistors I currently have mine hooked up with an LC7i with no issues.
2. What do you mean when you say:
"Audio Control LC7i - Powered using remote wire fuse tap."
The LC7i needs to be connected to constant 12V and ground you can daisy chain it from your amps power and ground. You do not need to connect a remote wire as the unit has GTO technology that will automatically turn it on.

Chillz

Reaction score
Two questions:
1. Do you have the base audio system or the premium (alpine or HK)?
The base system will not need resistors I currently have mine hooked up with an LC7i with no issues.
2. What do you mean when you say:
"Audio Control LC7i - Powered using remote wire fuse tap."
The LC7i needs to be connected to constant 12V and ground you can daisy chain it from your amps power and ground. You do not need to connect a remote wire as the unit has GTO technology that will automatically turn it on.

I have the Base 6 speaker system. I bypass the GTO in the LC7i and use a remote trigger instead.
The setup works as is however, I think the problem might be when the system shuts down and powers back on, the headunit not seeing a speaker load.
I ordered some Audio Control AC-LGD 20 to see if that will help.

traymo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have the base 6 speaker system with the 8.4 non-nav radio. I have ANC and would like to keep it. Those of you with the base speaker system, did replacing your speakers help with the radio volume stopping at 22-23? When listening to SAT radio, any volume over 22-23 doesn't get any louder. I just want to make sure if I upgrade the speakers, I won't end up with the same issue. I would like to replace all 6 speakers and keep ANC. I do not need an amp or sub. What would you recommend?
Thanks, Tom

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have the base 6 speaker system with the 8.4 non-nav radio. I have ANC and would like to keep it. Those of you with the base speaker system, did replacing your speakers help with the radio volume stopping at 22-23? When listening to SAT radio, any volume over 22-23 doesn't get any louder. I just want to make sure if I upgrade the speakers, I won't end up with the same issue. I would like to replace all 6 speakers and keep ANC. I do not need an amp or sub. What would you recommend?
Thanks, Tom
Fade the sound to the front a couple nothces, it's the only things that truly helps the poor volume. Replacing the speakers opens a can of worms and at that point you're better off adding an amplifier, but then you lose ANC

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing you can really do that's a drop in replacement is dash speakers. Anything else and you start getting into ANC, speaker polarities, etc.

Many speakers have been discussed and there have been success with most of them. Remember that the base 6 speaker audio has a physical crossover/bassblocker compared to the other two "premium" systems. If you do replace your dash speakers check to see if there's a capacitor on the (+) terminal. If not you will need to install bass blockers.

Here's a recent thread if you are interested:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks, Tom
Turn the speed adjusted volume up to 3 in the audio settings. Also replace your dash speakers with some Infinity 3032cfx which will help the highs.

D_Chiz

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum.. Just picked up night package with 8 inch screen no nav and base system.. If I read this correctly, no ANC solution exist where I can keep this functionality? What about a pre amp solution? Maybe im alone, but I like the ANC..

Last edited:

traymo

Reaction score
Turn the speed adjusted volume up to 3 in the audio settings. Also replace your dash speakers with some Infinity 3032cfx which will help the highs.
It's not the speed adjust. It is like the system is limiting the volume past 22-23. If I do the dash speakers, is it still going to clip out at 23?

pmegason

Reaction score
It's not the speed adjust. It is like the system is limiting the volume past 22-23. If I do the dash speakers, is it still going to clip out at 23?
I have the same system and i can go full volume with SAT, FM or Bluetooth. There has to be something wrong with your stereo or there's something in the settings somewhere.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing....with the dash speakers and the speed adjust I never have to go past 20 even with the windows down. The volume limit only happens with CarPlay and Satellite for me.

traymo

Reaction score
I have the same system and i can go full volume with SAT, FM or Bluetooth. There has to be something wrong with your stereo or there's something in the settings somewhere.
The volume numbers keep going up past 23, it just doesn't make a difference. There are a number of others with the same issue that have the base 6 speaker system.

traymo

Reaction score
The only thing you can really do that's a drop in replacement is dash speakers. Anything else and you start getting into ANC, speaker polarities, etc.

Many speakers have been discussed and there have been success with most of them. Remember that the base 6 speaker audio has a physical crossover/bassblocker compared to the other two "premium" systems. If you do replace your dash speakers check to see if there's a capacitor on the (+) terminal. If not you will need to install bass blockers.

Here's a recent thread if you are interested:

Thanks for this link! Great information.

Chillz

Reaction score
If you are using high-level inputs to go from the Head Unit speaker outs into the amp or a line converter, the HU may shut off because it sees no load.

Some folks have added in-line resistors (if you search the stereo thread for resistor you'll find details), some folks have bought a specialty harness with resistors already soldered into it. In my case, my DSP presents a slight load which was convenient, and meant I didn't need resistors.

The information above assumes you have the Base 6 setup... Good luck!
I got the Audio Control AC-LGD 20 and it fixed the issue. Thanks for your help.

GWillings

Reaction score
Pac ANC- CH01. Harness

You need the harness that I got. I got mine from www.netaudio.com
I have zero complaints with this harness. It has the load resistors in-line so there is no worries. It also can come with 9 wire speed wire to loop back into the OEM wiring so you do not have to run speaker wires to your doors. You have the output side be terminated into RCA or ferrules.

GWillings

Reaction score
This is the exact harness you will need. I have already talked with the owner of NET AUDIO and this harness does in fact work with the 5th gen rams. You will need the ANC bypass harness as well though.

sppb32

Reaction score
Just to add some info I tested the 8" head unit with the AP4 CH1 and there's no clipping even at full volume, and it doesn't stop rising in any source.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

traymo

Reaction score
Just to add some info I tested the 8" head unit with the AP4 CH1 and there's no clipping even at full volume, and it doesn't stop rising in any source.

Does this bypass the ANC? Can you hook up this unit without changing speakers?

sppb32

Reaction score
Not sure, I know it takes the signal straight from the head unit and the factory amplifier has to stay plugged in for it to work so you don't have to replace anything if you don't want to

Users who are viewing this thread