5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Noid

Reaction score
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the Alpine system? Found the HK one. Looking because I noticed the HK sub has two wires vs. The Alpine sub having at least four.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the Alpine system? Found the HK one. Looking because I noticed the HK sub has two wires vs. The Alpine sub having at least four.
Here is one I made with all the connections as well as the polarity. Most of the polarity in the truck is backwards from the actual factory wiring diagram.

Attachments

• Alpine AMP wiring.pdf
    335.8 KB · Views: 73

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
After replacing all 6 speakers in my stock system, the problem I am now noticing is output from the head unit/amp. Unless I have loudness on and volume adj at 3, the bass is lacking. The system sounds pretty good as long as I have those settings up - even when I adjust the volume down via the volume control. This issue was likely there before, but is now noticable with better speakers. So, the way the speed adj is handled is by adjusting the wattage to the speakers instead of electronically adjusting the volume.

The problem is, having speed adj at 3, the volume noticably adjusts constantly, even at stoplights. I don't know if anyone knows a way with the stock system to adjust the output where it's simulating this without actually setting it.

To be clear, it's not the volume, but the quality of the sound. If I match the volume via the control between speed adjust 1, and 3 - it's tinny with little bass at 1 and nice and full at 3.

Turbo1895

Reaction score
After replacing all 6 speakers in my stock system, the problem I am now noticing is output from the head unit/amp. Unless I have loudness on and volume adj at 3, the bass is lacking. The system sounds pretty good as long as I have those settings up - even when I adjust the volume down via the volume control. This issue was likely there before, but is now noticable with better speakers. So, the way the speed adj is handled is by adjusting the wattage to the speakers instead of electronically adjusting the volume.

The problem is, having speed adj at 3, the volume noticably adjusts constantly, even at stoplights. I don't know if anyone knows a way with the stock system to adjust the output where it's simulating this without actually setting it.

To be clear, it's not the volume, but the quality of the sound. If I match the volume via the control between speed adjust 1, and 3 - it's tinny with little bass at 1 and nice and full at 3.
I noticed this as well. Add a sub or 2, run your controls flat and your problems will be solved. At least that is how I solved it.

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
I noticed this as well. Add a sub or 2, run your controls flat and your problems will be solved. At least that is how I solved it.
If I added a sub, I'd need to add an amp - which would solve this by itself w/o the subs. The built-in head unit/amp provides the necessary watts - if Speed Adj is put on 3. I'd think you still see this happen with your setup(where everything is boosted w/loudness & SpAdj@3), though you don't need to as you have sufficient juice with your added equip where it's not needed.

I'm looking for a way to make the factory amp push SpAdj 3 watts all the time w/o it being set to 3. Kinda like a gain dial on an amp - or a way to fool the system into pushing it at the 3 level even if I have it set at 1. I know this is a reach as the software is prob the issue, but some of the things the guys here have come up with are pretty incredible.

Any chance maybe bypassing the ANC would help this? Anyone know how the Speed Adjust works? Is it mic based or tied in to something else like the speedometer or RPM's? I mean, if it's linked to the ANC mic's, then better bass should make it output more wattage since it's adjusting volume based on noise, but at the same time, seems it would also pump up the ANC as it would recognize more noise. Perhaps I'll order a bypass harness and see what happens.

Last edited:

jabara572

Reaction score

Interesting you say this, I have the base 6 speaker (was a 5" screen replaced with an 8.4), i just have kicker 3.5's and rear Infinity 9633ix and ive got the bass on like +5 (or like 3 positions from max) and the bass is legit blowing my head off. So much I almost dont even need to run a sub (but ive got a 10" slim waiting to go in). I find the bass unbelievable honestly for not having a sub, I think my truck with just the 4 speaker replacement is one of the better sounding vehicles ive had. I run my speed volume on 2, and a volume of 20 is loud as hell, 22+ hurts my hears its so loud and the bass is great. I can tell the bass is at the limit due to getting slightly muddy at that volume but thats what the sub is for and then i can take some bass outta the door and dash speakers.

I did unpin my ANC mic'c because I could hear some feedback and droning even stock, do not notice any difference in cabin quietness I would just unpin them and be done, but it didnt seem to make any difference in output volume sorry to say.

jabara572

Reaction score
I'm installing a slim 10" powered sub on the rear of the cab. It supports high level inputs, i have two questions, where would you tap into the speakers to get the high level inputs?

WIll the tapped speakers still run at full volume or am I going to lost some signal by tapping it into the high level of the amp?

Thanks

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm installing a slim 10" powered sub on the rear of the cab. It supports high level inputs, i have two questions, where would you tap into the speakers to get the high level inputs?

WIll the tapped speakers still run at full volume or am I going to lost some signal by tapping it into the high level of the amp?

Thanks
You shouldn't see any hit in performance, speaker level inputs on amplifiers run extremely high impedance levels meaning the load on the system is in the milliamp range.

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
Interesting you say this, I have the base 6 speaker (was a 5" screen replaced with an 8.4), i just have kicker 3.5's and rear Infinity 9633ix and ive got the bass on like +5 (or like 3 positions from max) and the bass is legit blowing my head off. So much I almost dont even need to run a sub (but ive got a 10" slim waiting to go in). I find the bass unbelievable honestly for not having a sub, I think my truck with just the 4 speaker replacement is one of the better sounding vehicles ive had. I run my speed volume on 2, and a volume of 20 is loud as hell, 22+ hurts my hears its so loud and the bass is great. I can tell the bass is at the limit due to getting slightly muddy at that volume but thats what the sub is for and then i can take some bass outta the door and dash speakers.

I did unpin my ANC mic'c because I could hear some feedback and droning even stock, do not notice any difference in cabin quietness I would just unpin them and be done, but it didnt seem to make any difference in output volume sorry to say.

A couple of things I've noticed that make a difference are the type of music and perhaps source input. I generally listen to hard/heavy/metal, but if I have top 40 or hip-hop on, the bass is legit and this isn't an issue. Also of note, the older the song, the lesser the quality - which is expected - but it's just more noticeable.

Can I ask what type of music you listen to? If you lower your speed adj and then put it up to 3 while on the road, do you notice a fuller sound if you adjust the volume to comparable levels as that is my issue, not the actual volume. I understand you are achieving the quality you are after - but I'm just curious if you notice the same observation. One other thing, I don't have the Nav in my 8.4" HU - is yours? I don't know if that makes a difference, but just trying to connect the dots. Thanks!

All of my comments/observations have been using SiriusXM. I've not yet tried different source inputs to compare as this is an internal flaw since it can be fixed with the speed adj. My next step will be verifying it's the same against different source inputs and possibly then disconnecting the ANC as a last resort as I haven't noticed any drone/feedback.

lunchboxphil

Reaction score

Thanks
Which sub did you go with? Are you installing any additional processing equipment?

jabara572

Reaction score
Which sub did you go with? Are you installing any additional processing equipment?

Went with a Rockville 10" powered sub so its got its own Amp. Cheap, gets good reviews, i dont need to shake the entire street. Just run power, ground, and tap your rear speakers done.

I am that happy with the rest of my speakers driven off the head unit, some more low end I'll be happy as a clam. I listen to everything, from rap to country to rock/metal. Obviously the rap type songs have more bass but the rock/metal stuff sounds fine to me. Usually I am either Sirius XM Octane or listening to Android Auto/Spotify (make sure you turn spotify volume setting to "loud").

I am also Non-Nav. 8.4. If i turn speed volume higher it just gets louder, no change to the sound profile really, just like I turned the volume dial up.

Mine always had decent bass even when stock, it was always kinda overpowering to be honest. I always have loudness on, or it sounds flat with no guts as you were describing.

Whats your EQ at? Mines like +5 bass, mid +0, Trebel -3

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
Went with a Rockville 10" powered sub so its got its own Amp. Cheap, gets good reviews, i dont need to shake the entire street. Just run power, ground, and tap your rear speakers done.

I am that happy with the rest of my speakers driven off the head unit, some more low end I'll be happy as a clam. I listen to everything, from rap to country to rock/metal. Obviously the rap type songs have more bass but the rock/metal stuff sounds fine to me. Usually I am either Sirius XM Octane or listening to Android Auto/Spotify (make sure you turn spotify volume setting to "loud").

I am also Non-Nav. 8.4. If i turn speed volume higher it just gets louder, no change to the sound profile really, just like I turned the volume dial up.

Mine always had decent bass even when stock, it was always kinda overpowering to be honest. I always have loudness on, or it sounds flat with no guts as you were describing.

Whats your EQ at? Mines like +5 bass, mid +0, Trebel -3
I'm at +7 bass, 0 mid and +2 treble. I tried streaming Pandora tonight. FFDP:Way of the Fist was on. Lots of good kick drum bass in that tune. The audio quality was better than Sirius and, while there was a difference in the speed adj, it wasn't nearly as bad

jabara572

Reaction score
I'm at +7 bass, 0 mid and +2 treble. I tried streaming Pandora tonight. FFDP:Way of the Fist was on. Lots of good kick drum bass in that tune. The audio quality was better than Sirius and, while there was a difference in the speed adj, it wasn't nearly as bad

What speakers did you use? What's your volume at?

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
What speakers did you use? What's your volume at?
KICKER 44KSC3504 3.5" (89mm) Coax Spkrs w/.5"(13mm) tweeters, 4ohm, RoHS Compliant

2 sets of Door Speakers from Best Buy
JBL - GX Series 6" x 9" 3-Way Car Loudspeakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) - Orange/Black
Model
:GX9638

I usually have my vol somewhere between 15-22

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
u
Are you putting that behind or under the seat?

jabara572

Reaction score
Are you placing that Rockville between the seat & wall carpet? Curious if it fits there. Or behind the wall carpet?

That's my plan, it'll be here today so I'll update when I try to shove it back there. I think it should fit it's less than 3 inches thick.

Turbo1895

Reaction score
Are you placing that Rockville between the seat & wall carpet? Curious if it fits there. Or behind the wall carpet?
It will not fit between the seat and wall carpet as there is almost no room there. The wall carpet will need to be cut to even attempt to fit it in there. It is going to be tight.

Users who are viewing this thread