5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks turbo. I have a audio control processor so i don’t need the rca output as I can use speaker levels and be ok.

I’m sure it’s been tried but has anyone tried to pull the speaker signals directly from the wires for the rear speakers under the drivers seat and leaving anc in tact?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would caution against this if the rear speakers are receiving an ANC signal (I believe they do). You may encounter droning from the ANC on whatever speaker/sub you're adding. I had to disconnect ANC when replacing the 6x9 speakers because of this. Prior to that I also tried tapping the factory sub signal for a powered sub and got horrible ANC droning, which led to me buying the PAC unit for RCA hookup.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would caution against this if the rear speakers are receiving an ANC signal (I believe they do). You may encounter droning from the ANC on whatever speaker/sub you're adding. I had to disconnect ANC when replacing the 6x9 speakers because of this. Prior to that I also tried tapping the factory sub signal for a powered sub and got horrible ANC droning, which led to me buying the PAC unit for RCA hookup.

Thanks. Just to make sure my understanding of this pac harness is correct. Just by plugging in the anc-ch01 harness from pac to the anc connections, you will be bypassing the anc system, correct?

So in my application, i can buy the harness then splice into the rear signals in the harness for my inputs into my sub amp. This would bypass anc and give me my signals for my sub amp to do its thing, correct?

Soldierguy

Reaction score
Btw so some of you know. I replaced all 6 speakers to my 6 speaker base system and had to correct the reverse polarity on all of them and when I did I had the trouble droning sound coming from the speakers so I had to disconnect the 4 anc mics and this stopped the droning. That was back in I think August I did that. I noticed on this site that there was a service bulletin to the anc and on my last oil change told the dealer that I was having the droning and could they update my my anc system according to the service bulletin and they said they would look at it. I didn’t know what would happen since I still had the anc mics disconnected but I thought at least I would ask. Well they did the update and I decided to hook my anc mics back up and see if the made the droning sound and I’m happy to say that it doesn’t. Now I can’t really say that I notice the anc really doing anything but I do not have the droning coming from the speakers.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. Just to make sure my understanding of this pac harness is correct. Just by plugging in the anc-ch01 harness from pac to the anc connections, you will be bypassing the anc system, correct?

So in my application, i can buy the harness then splice into the rear signals in the harness for my inputs into my sub amp. This would bypass anc and give me my signals for my sub amp to do its thing, correct?

that is correct

SgtM

Reaction score
it’s either for the sub, which you don’t have, or the etorque, which you don’t have. Based on location it sounds like etorque. Either way it doesn’t matter because you can’t use the harness for anything.
Kinda what I was thinking sadly. Would have been perfect if it was an active sub line I could have pulled from. Thank you

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking sadly. Would have been perfect if it was an active sub line I could have pulled from. Thank you

Has anyone used an amp meter to test all the wires to it? Are any of the wires “hot.” Could that have a turn on lead in it?

SgtM

Reaction score
Has anyone used an amp meter to test all the wires to it? Are any of the wires “hot.” Could that have a turn on lead in it?

No clue but it would be early next week before I'd be able to. If it's not done before then, I'll check it out and see.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No clue but it would be early next week before I'd be able to. If it's not done before then, I'll check it out and see.

I’ll check it out too, at a minimum I’d guess there is a switched lead in the bundle

7amada

Reaction score
For all the audio knowledge ppl here I have a quick question.

i purchased and installed the infinity dash speakers from crutchfield. They sound better and are crisp ...

BUT, when i turn the volume up, say a bit past the middle, they start to pop and make sounds.

crutchfield said that there is a capacitor or something like that , that i have to install in line on the positive side. Comes with the box

Is this true, are you ppl that did this upgrade install them too???

rah6887

Reaction score

i purchased and installed the infinity dash speakers from crutchfield. They sound better and are crisp ...

BUT, when i turn the volume up, say a bit past the middle, they start to pop and make sounds.

crutchfield said that there is a capacitor or something like that , that i have to install in line on the positive side. Comes with the box

FWIW I installed JL Audio C2 350x speakers in the dash, no bass blockers, no reversing polarity, and it sounds fabulous at any volume level.
I have the base 6 speaker system by the way.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm not sure if PAC makes an ANC bypass harness. I do remember someone made one and you could search for that on here. The PAC module I am speaking of connects behind the infotainment and sends a full, flat audio signal via RCA for left and right front and rear channels, along with a non-fading (subwoofer) channel.

I'm not sure if it will be a concern, but it is possible your factory amp is not sending subwoofer range frequencies to the rear door speakers. If that's the case, tapping them will do you no good and cause reduced or no output at all, hence why I used the PAC unit to send a virgin (no EQ or ANC) & full frequency range signal to my amp. You may need to test the rear door signals to see if it reaches all the way down to 20 Hz.

Depends on your factory audio. The HK system amplifier does crossover on its own so no capacitors are needed to filter out the low range on the small dash speakers. On the lower end factory audio systems, there may not be any crossover from the headunit or amp, and you would need the capacitors.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have the infinity’s with the 6 speaker base and I did solder in the bass blockers, it should have come in the box, small capacitor. I can crank mine all the way up. No issues.

7amada

Reaction score
What would be the next best speaker to upgrade? Front or rear doors?

I have the base 6 speaker system.

anyone consider components or is everyone doing coaxial?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would be the next best speaker to upgrade? Front or rear doors?

I have the base 6 speaker system.

anyone consider components or is everyone doing coaxial?
I wouldn't bother with coaxial in the doors. Just use component 6x9 and throw out the tweeters. Components anywhere else would get difficult and require a custom install since the stock speaker locations for the mids/tweeters are all coax.

sman301

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with coaxial in the doors. Just use component 6x9 and throw out the tweeters. Components anywhere else would get difficult and require a custom install since the stock speaker locations for the mids/tweeters are all coax.
I second this. Components would create a better balance system

sman301 sman301 sman301

gfphill

Reaction score
For anyone curious on what the factory amp and sub looks like from Alpine system. Pic attached.

Now running 2 Digital Designs amps on (2) JL 10W3v3-2 subs, along with all Focal interior components. Running Axxess Digital Signal Processor (AX-DSP) into PAC CH41. Running right at 2000 watts. This sheeeeeet screams and is clean/concert hall sound as I demand from all my system builds.

Now working on 12.1" Tview headrest monitors for the "borrowed" :D kiddos in back. Will run those to a Western Digital "media center" for video etc. and they will just use wireless headphones.

**Note** My local go to "stereo guy" did my stereo as I pulled it all out my Charger Scat before trading it.....So if ya have any "deep" questions, you might want to turn to your local stereo gurus, if one of us goes silent on ya.:)
Out of curiosity would it be possible to just replace the factory sub that you have pictured in the enclosure with a Pioneer shallow mount?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of curiosity would it be possible to just replace the factory sub that you have pictured in the enclosure with a Pioneer shallow mount?
Sure, if you can find a sub that fits. May want another amplifier to power it though.

gfphill

Reaction score
Sure, if you can find a sub that fits. May want another amplifier to power it though.
I was hoping he still had the factory box, that way it could be measured...that pioneer only requires 3 1/8'' for mounting depth. Stuff that plasticy box with some pillow filling and might not sound half bad.

Users who are viewing this thread