5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Walski

Reaction score
I already ordered one of these: https://lljcustoms.com/store?olsPage=products/oem-loop-harnesses

Wish I had known about the one you posted. I can integrate some resistors. No big deal. Wiring is my jam.
Did you get your harness yet? I’ve been having issues with mine..on my 2nd harness from them after proving it wasn’t my lc7i or jl amp causing my issues..even though I was told they put resistors in I just ordered the audio control ac-Lgd. To see if that’s my issue.

Jmeclevenger

Reaction score
I’ve read just about every page to this thread. I know I have the base 6 speaker system. I have anc system. How do I know if I have an amplifier? I have read that some base systems have one and some don’t, or that’s at least the way I read it. I want to upgrade my speakers and would like to add an amp and possibly a sub but I know the module you need will be different if the truck has or does not have a factory amp. Any help would be great.

tuner1129

Reaction score
I’ve read just about every page to this thread. I know I have the base 6 speaker system. I have anc system. How do I know if I have an amplifier? I have read that some base systems have one and some don’t, or that’s at least the way I read it. I want to upgrade my speakers and would like to add an amp and possibly a sub but I know the module you need will be different if the truck has or does not have a factory amp. Any help would be great.
I'm in the same boat you are, looked at mostly all these pages and still cant find where to start and how to go about it. I always been able to do my own system but this with the ANC and uconnect is really different.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Base system does not have an amplifier. Everything is handled in the head unit. You also don’t have a sub woofer. All you have is a head unit and six speakers. You can add an amplifier and/or sub if you’d like. You can also upgrade the speakers. The small silver unit under your driver’s seat is the ANC module. That’s all it does. The speaker wires run thru that harness as well but that’s only because the ANC module is stepping in the middle of it. Some people who have trouble with their ANC after upgrading speakers, etc (myself included) will either unpin the anc mic wires in that harness (essentially disabling the anc) or purchase another harness which connects those two oem harnesses together (bypassing the anc). Hope that helps.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Please see my post (#19) in the thread linked below.

If you buy that harness you have access to all speaker inputs and head unit outputs. That's all you really need.

tuner1129

Reaction score
Base system does not have an amplifier. Everything is handled in the head unit. You also don’t have a sub woofer. All you have is a head unit and six speakers. You can add an amplifier and/or sub if you’d like. You can also upgrade the speakers. The small silver unit under your driver’s seat is the ANC module. That’s all it does. The speaker wires run thru that harness as well but that’s only because the ANC module is stepping in the middle of it. Some people who have trouble with their ANC after upgrading speakers, etc (myself included) will either unpin the anc mic wires in that harness (essentially disabling the anc) or purchase another harness which connects those two oem harnesses together (bypassing the anc). Hope that helps.
Please see my post (#19) in the thread linked below.

If you buy that harness you have access to all speaker inputs and head unit outputs. That's all you really need.
Thank you very much! Going to read this and hope to buy all the parts needed to do this asap because I love everything about my truck but the sound system is worse then my bluetooth speaker!

Jmeclevenger

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’m sure I’ll have some more questions about dealing with the anc but now I know where my truck stands as far as no having an amp. I didn’t expect that many reply’s that quick. It will be a while before I start because I owned my truck 3 days and someone decided to run into the side of it so it goes to the shop Monday.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’m sure I’ll have some more questions about dealing with the anc but now I know where my truck stands as far as no having an amp. I didn’t expect that many reply’s that quick. It will be a while before I start because I owned my truck 3 days and someone decided to run into the side of it so it goes to the shop Monday.

Wow that sucks. Good luck. Keep us posted. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the amp on the HK system is and have a wiring schematic for it?

AdventureJunkie

Reaction score
I think this is on my list of things to do at some point in the next few years maybe sooner as the base six is a little poor sounding. Wish I would have atleast got the alpine system.

Anyhow on avg what are people spending on upgrading about 500 to increase the factory speakers and add a small sub? Or what should I expect to pay a decent setup?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the amp on the HK system is and have a wiring schematic for it?

I think it’s under the driver’s seat just like the standalone anc would be in my base setup but I could be wrong. Maybe @Edwards or @WRH could comment. Below are the schematics I have for the hk (premium 2)

Attachments

• 535ABB44-123F-4A74-95FE-3A910D50E1D1.png
    535ABB44-123F-4A74-95FE-3A910D50E1D1.png
    199 KB · Views: 63
  • AUDIO-SYSTEM---PREMIUM-2.pdf
    611.8 KB · Views: 39

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’s under the driver’s seat just like the standalone anc would be in my base setup but I could be wrong. Maybe @Edwards or @WRH could comment. Below are the schematics I have for the hk (premium 2)
Thanks. I think this answers my question. I was wondering if the had a separate channel for each speaker or if some were wired in parallel. Looks like each has it's own channel. Now if only we knew how many watts RMS were being sent to each.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Thanks. I think this answers my question. I was wondering if the had a separate channel for each speaker or if some were wired in parallel. Looks like each has it's own channel. Now if only we knew how many watts RMS were being sent to each.

Well it’s a 900w amp which I believe also powers the sub so the answer is “not enough”. 25watts for the 6x9’s?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah you’re probably right, I meant per speaker
I can't imagine their 900w rating is RMS. I'm sure that's peak. (After all, they call it a 19 speaker stereo... When by most standards I think people would call it 12).

So cut it in half, assume 150w is going to sub, 300w to the remaining 11 ch. 25w is probably about right.

Ryan88

Reaction score
I have the base system w/o ANC and just finished installing my infinity reference 6x9's in the front doors. Reading and re-reading this thread until my eyes watered certainly helped and I could not be happier with the results for a fairly low amount of money. I ordered from Crutchfield and their instructions were also extremely helpful especially with the photographing of each step. Took me less than an hour to do both doors. Drivers door came off very easy but I did have to struggle a bit with the passenger side and ended up busting the tip off a clip at the top of the panel. I'll probably open her up to replace it at some point; most people wont notice it I'm sure but I know it'll bug me.

I also replaced my dash 3.5s a few weeks ago with matching (albeit 2016 model year) reference 3.5s that I pulled out of my 300S before I traded it in. Bass response overall is significantly improved, vocals are legible now, and I have noticed no difference in sound level.

Will be doing my back door 6x9s with the JBLs this weekend and running connections for the Rockville RW10CA slim 10" sub I bought returned from the Amazon warehouse for $86. Read a few good reviews on it and it should hopefully fit either underneath the front passenger seat or possibly behind the back seat. Crutchfield provided instructions for removing the back seat so I'm going to tinker with that over the weekend as well and will report back on sound quality once she is all completed.

Jmeclevenger

Reaction score
So I have done some checking because I am going to upgrade speakers in the base 6 speaker system and eventually add and amp and sub.I have read on here about the DSR1 and the jl fix86. The dsr you can buy a harness to make it completely plug and play, is the fix 86 the same way. I saw a video on it that showed where it had 5 connectors that wires screw into, is there a harness for it or do you have to cut and splice factory wires? I don’t want to cut and splice so I want to make sure I get the right module.

vinnie45acp

Reaction score
I see you put all infinity reference speakers in. Which ones exactly did you put in? And did you replace all 12 units? The two upper door speakers, are they truly 3.5” and would the 3032 work? Also did you have fitment issues with all four 6x9’s, like with the windows etc? Did you leave the amp alone for those 11, and only add the amp for the Sub? Much thanks for your help!

Walski

Reaction score
I talked to idata today they have a vehicle specific harness for the no amp systems for the dsr1 they are testing the firmware, should be available in a month or so

Users who are viewing this thread