5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Gozar

Reaction score
Going to let it sit overnight then into my truck it goes!

f7348b7de03ef8956fed580d9cd7245a.jpg
Looks great!

Dep668

Reaction score
Going to let it sit overnight then into my truck it goes!

f7348b7de03ef8956fed580d9cd7245a.jpg

Looks great. What would you estimate the volume to be in there, say if your box was extended to where the rear seat splits?

I might do the rear seat mod, raise it 3/4" so that I can fold them down to mount my amps. So that will gain me some height for my box build as well.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great. What would you estimate the volume to be in there, say if your box was extended to where the rear seat splits?

I might do the rear seat mod, raise it 3/4" so that I can fold them down to mount my amps. So that will gain me some height for my box build as well.

My volume is 0.35-ish which I think is the bare minimum for my sub but no biggy. You could probably increase that by at least 75% but your cuts will get very interesting. There’s a reason i stopped mine at 13” wide. Beyond that the floor has a lot of weird nooks.

Hooked up everything tonight and it hits well. Need to fine tune my cut offs but finally done tinkering with my stereo...for now.

fbf4bb512a2409533188796e30262c38.jpg

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve got everything for mine, except my box. Fox Acoustics says 3-5 business days but I ordered it last Friday and still nothing. Not a huge deal but anxious to get it going lol.

ST3500

Reaction score
My volume is 0.35-ish which I think is the bare minimum for my sub but no biggy. You could probably increase that by at least 75% but your cuts will get very interesting. There’s a reason i stopped mine at 13” wide. Beyond that the floor has a lot of weird nooks.

Hooked up everything tonight and it hits well. Need to fine tune my cut offs but finally done tinkering with my stereo...for now.

fbf4bb512a2409533188796e30262c38.jpg

Looks very clean ! Nice work !! (y)

Thatsme06

Reaction score
I’ve got everything for mine, except my box. Fox Acoustics says 3-5 business days but I ordered it last Friday and still nothing. Not a huge deal but anxious to get it going lol.
Just a heads up mine took a few weeks to arrive (2-10's ported). I called after 1 week and they said that they were behind and moving shops. I did finally get it and it looks great have not installed yet though.

Drago1978

Reaction score
Hoping to get some help from some of you that have already upgraded the HK system in our trucks.
so I have a 2019 Laramie level 2 with 12” inch screen and 19 speaker Harmon kardon system.
im looking to at least pull out the stock subwoofer and add an amp with 2 10” subs under the rear seat.
also Possibly upgrading all the speakers haven’t decided yet if it’s worth it or just another big can of worms so still on the fence about the speakers.
my number one question is what’s the best way to get the signal for the amp to run the subwoofers ? (in my 4th gen Ram I just pulled the stock sub and connected a 2 channel speaker to rca line out adapter) but from everything I’ve read no one is doing that in the 5th gen so I’m assuming there is a reason for that??
It looks like a lot of people are using the pac amp-pro ap4-ch41. That goes behind the head unit is that the best option???
ive also read about using the maestro ach4 but looks like that’s more if I want to remove the factory amp. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
please help with any other info or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
like I said #1 goal remove stock sub.. add aftermarket Amp and subwoofers. Retaining factory head unit,amp, speakers.
#2 goal would also retaining factory head unit and amp but replacing all speakers with aftermarket plus add aftermarket amp and subwoofers.

ST3500

Reaction score
Hoping to get some help from some of you that have already upgraded the HK system in our trucks.
so I have a 2019 Laramie level 2 with 12” inch screen and 19 speaker Harmon kardon system.
im looking to at least pull out the stock subwoofer and add an amp with 2 10” subs under the rear seat.
also Possibly upgrading all the speakers haven’t decided yet if it’s worth it or just another big can of worms so still on the fence about the speakers.
my number one question is what’s the best way to get the signal for the amp to run the subwoofers ? (in my 4th gen Ram I just pulled the stock sub and connected a 2 channel speaker to rca line out adapter) but from everything I’ve read no one is doing that in the 5th gen so I’m assuming there is a reason for that??
It looks like a lot of people are using the pac amp-pro ap4-ch41. That goes behind the head unit is that the best option???
ive also read about using the maestro ach4 but looks like that’s more if I want to remove the factory amp. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
please help with any other info or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
like I said #1 goal remove stock sub.. add aftermarket Amp and subwoofers. Retaining factory head unit,amp, speakers.
#2 goal would also retaining factory head unit and amp but replacing all speakers with aftermarket plus add aftermarket amp and subwoofers.

The pac amp-pro ap4-ch41(R.2) works well, that's what I have on my HK system upgrade.
It has 6 channels pre-amp outputs (front, rear and non fading / subwoofer) and a bass knob.

You can use 2 channels out of the PAC to connect a mono amp and subwoofer (chanel 5 & 6, so you can use the bass knob) , your HK amp will drive all the others speakers.
Later on, when you decide to upgrade the rest of the speakers by adding another aftermarket amp(s): you can use the other four pre-amp outputs that you already have (bypassing the speakers outputs from the factory HK amp, of course).

Regardless that you only add 1 amp + sub or you upgrade the entire system: you need to keep the factory HK amp connected to the vehicle in order to retain the voice command / telephone microphones lines (2 microphones) and the CAN Bus signal.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The pac amp-pro ap4-ch41(R.2) works well, that's what I have on my HK system upgrade.
It has 6 channels pre-amp outputs (front, rear and non fading / subwoofer) and a bass knob.

You can use 2 channels out of the PAC to connect a mono amp and subwoofer (chanel 5 & 6, so you can use the bass knob) , your HK amp will drive all the others speakers.
Later on, when you decide to upgrade the rest of the speakers by adding another aftermarket amp(s): you can use the other four pre-amp outputs that you already have (bypassing the speakers outputs from the factory HK amp, of course).

Regardless that you only add 1 amp + sub or you upgrade the entire system: you need to keep the factory HK amp connected to the vehicle in order to retain the voice command / telephone microphones lines (2 microphones) and the CAN Bus signal.
This is informative. So just adding subs and a mini block amp then a lc2i would be just fine?

ST3500

Reaction score
This is informative. So just adding subs and a mini block amp then a lc2i would be just fine?

The AudioControl LC2i is only a speaker level signal(s) line converter. You will be converting a signal that is already been processed by your HK amplifier.

The PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) picks up the source signal before the HK amplifier / processor. The advantage on doing so is: 1. you get a cleaner non processed signal, 2. the PAC output channels does bypass the Active Noise Cancellation that is processed by the Harman Kardon / Chrysler amplifier.

I understand that most of us are budget conscious / frugal..... but, you have to be the judge of how enthusiastic you are (or going to be) about high-fidelity sound reproduction.
With the PAC whatever you're willing to do in the future: you will be 100% ready for it.
Whit the LC2i you might be OK for now........ as you grow deeper into it you will definitely end up replacing it.

Last edited:

Drago1978

Reaction score

Great thank you so much that’s what I wanted to confirm definitely sounds like the pac amp-pro is the way to go with our system. I really appreciate ur help thank you let the fun begin time to order the parts and start tearing apart my truck and making it sound the way it should .

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
The AudioControl LC2i is only a speaker level signal(s) line converter. You will be converting a signal that is already been processed by your HK amplifier.

The PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) picks up the source signal before the HK amplifier / processor. The advantage on doing so is: 1. you get a cleaner non processed signal, 2. the PAC output channels does bypass the Active Noise Cancellation that is processed by the Harman Kardon / Chrysler amplifier.

I understand that most of us are budget conscious / frugal..... but, you have to be the judge of how enthusiastic you are (or going to be) about high-fidelity sound reproduction.
With the PAC whatever you're willing to do in the future: you will be 100% ready for it.
Whit the LC2i you might be OK for now........ as you grow deeper into it you will definitely end up replacing it.
Thanks good to know prior to receiving my subs. Would it be possible to leave my factory sub alone and still hook up my aftermarket ones?

Drago1978

Reaction score
Hey guys I just want to double check before I place my order for the pac amp-pro.
the maestro ch4 is only an option if removing and replacing the factory amp correct?? Can’t be used like the pac amp-pro to add aftermarket amp for subwoofers and keep factory amp to run all the speakers??

Mutley

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the stock sub in the Harman Kardon 19 speaker system with a JL Audio 10TW3-D4 (10" Shallow Mount)?

Last edited:

ST3500

Reaction score
Thanks good to know prior to receiving my subs. Would it be possible to leave my factory sub alone and still hook up my aftermarket ones?
Why would you want to do that ? Aftermarket sub + factory sub= if you don't have a good DSP to phase align them properly: all they're going to do is to conflict with each other's frequencies, you won't get their real potential, lot's of insignificant rumble, annoying doubled and / or cancelled frequencies.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Why would you want to do that ? Aftermarket sub + factory sub= if you don't have a good DSP to phase align them properly: all they're going to do is to conflict with each other's frequencies, you won't get their real potential, lot's of insignificant rumble, annoying doubled and / or cancelled frequencies.
I was thinking the factory sub could still play mid bass or something. I’ve never added additional subs so this is new to me.

Users who are viewing this thread